Picked up a Ruger American .22 mag. my - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-17-2016, 05:46 PM
Sheriff160
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Picked up a Ruger American .22 mag. my

Picked up a Ruger American .22 magnum (Model #08321) the other day. I haven't had a .22 magnum in my safe for about two years and decided I needed one.
.22mag is a little better for groundhogs and I have coyotes beginning to migrate into the area where I live.
I already own a Ruger American Rimfire in .22LR and have been very happy with it. Just had the stock on that one camo dipped a few weeks ago. I didn't want to spend weeks looking for a CZ 452 American in .22mag and the price on the Ruger was very appealing.
Brought it home the other day and mounted a Vortex Diamondback scope on it that I already had on hand. Went to the range today and just like the American .22LR I have, it shot very well. I tried 7 different types of .22 magnum ammo. It really likes Winchester Varmint HV 30 grain Polymer tip V-Max and Hornady 30 grain V-Max ammo. I could shoot that into 1" target stickers at 50 yards repeatedly from a bench.
I was kinda disappointed that it didn't shoot the Federal 50 grain jacketed HP ammo as good. Groups shot 2 1/2" -3" lower and I couldn't do any better than 2" at 50 yards.
For a $275.00 rifle, it shoots pretty darn good! I will probably camo dip the composite stock just like I did on my LR version. I am pretty happy to have a magnum back in my inventory. Its just the right size for 50-75 yard coyotes and similar size game.

Last edited by Sheriff160; 11-17-2016 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:22 PM
john the plinker
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Did you try the 45 gr Hornady Critical defense load? Mine doesn't care for the Federals either but shoots the CD like a house on fire.Not to mention they work great on yotes!
Old 11-20-2016, 07:53 AM
Sheriff160

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
No, I haven't tried those, I will watch for them and give them a try. .22 magnum is still in short supply in my area. My local gun shop told me .22 mag is the one caliber they have a hard time getting and keeping in stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2016, 08:36 AM
sicumj

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If you haven't yet try Winchester's silver box 40 grn HP. It has always been an accurate rounds in all my 22 magnums.