Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-02-2016, 02:24 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Browning SA22 barrel lock reassembly made easy

It is a common problem with the Browning SA22 rifle that when removing the barrel from the receiver or fiddling with the barrel tightening ring, the spring and follower in the barrel lock mechanism will fall out of the assembly. If that happens, many folks have a heck of a time getting it all back together. However, there is a simple and easy way to reassemble the mechanism using simple heavy grease:

1. Place the barrel upside down with the chamber section pointed to your left on a white nappy towel so you can see any parts that may fall out and keep them from bouncing away into the great void of your room!

2. Place your left hand thumb on the barrel lock and hold it down while you unscrew the forearm screw out and set it aside.

3. Gently remove the forearm by sliding it to the right and up. Set aside.

4. Carefully lift the barrel lock and remove the barrel adjusting ring spring and follower from the barrel lock. Set aside.

5. Remove the barrel lock ring, pulling it straight off the barrel and tighten the adjusting ring down (clockwise) all the way.

6. Take the barrel lock and fill the spring receptacle with heavy grease then replace the barrel adjusting ring spring and follower. The grease should hold all the parts together.

7. Take the barrel lock ring and fill itís spring receptacle with heavy grease then replace the barrel lock spring and follower. Slide the BLR back on the barrel.

8. Take the barrel lock (with the spring and follower held in by the grease) and place it carefully in the channel of the barrel lock ring. The follower should be sitting on the adjusting ring.

9. Holding the barrel lock down with your left hand thumb, grab the forearm and carefully slide it back towards the barrel lock so that it sits inside the collars the barrel lock. Hold the forearm in place with your left hand and replace the forearm scre.w. Tighten the screw down.

Now that the barrel assembly is all back together, attach the barrel to the receiver which will now be very loose. Thumb tighten the adjusting ring counterclockwise while holding the barrel tight against the receiver. Check to be sure the barrel lock is functioning properly by engaging it back and forth. If all is well, you can remove the barrel for minor adjustments to adjusting ring (no more than 1-2 clicks).
Old 11-02-2016, 08:02 PM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks gladsguy, i think i can kinda follow you, but i think i will still not want to take mine apart again. Did a couple of times when i 1st got it about 4 years ago, and haven't messed with it since.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:00 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oh, I am not recommending it! Far from it! I just happened to absentmindedly loosen the ring and had the spring and follower fly out this morning. I decided to post how I managed to get it back together after spending the better part of an hour trying to find the parts on my floor!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2016, 09:44 PM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
When i was at the range when i 1st got mine, i accidentally messed with mine and the spring and follower sprung out in the snow. Luckily i found both parts. I just packed up my gun and all the little parts and went home. Took awhile but got it back together. I haven't messed with it since, and i have ordered backup springs and followers, just in case i lose my head and screw with it away.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:16 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You're very lucky to have found the parts! Took me quite awhile to find the follower. The problem is that if you turn the adjustment ring a little too far, the barrel collar that holds the spring and follower moves away from the barrel lock just enough for the spring and follower to fly out. LESSON LEARNED! Never again
Old 11-03-2016, 07:34 PM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GladesGuy View Post
You're very lucky to have found the parts! Took me quite awhile to find the follower. The problem is that if you turn the adjustment ring a little too far, the barrel collar that holds the spring and follower moves away from the barrel lock just enough for the spring and follower to fly out. LESSON LEARNED! Never again
Yep that's the mistake i made both times mine has come apart.