Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:59 PM
ArtS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I have Shilen, Lilja and Benchmark all on benchrest rifles, and they all shoot within a gnat's breath of each other. They all started life as blanks except for the Lilja. It was a prefit. I had a CZ prefit that is the most accurate CZ I have ever seen, but the Lilja prefit wouldn't shoot. The chamber for the 10/22 was big as a barn. Ended up cutting it off at both ends and re-doing it. Now a great barrel.

If you are going to spend that much for a barrel, buy a blank and have a good gunsmith custom fit it. The difference between a blank and a prefit will pay a big part of the price of fitting. If you gauge barrel quality by results, the bulk of the top rimfire shooters in the country shoot Shilen, Mueller and Benchmark. That's who I would be looking at.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:20 AM
1911CCW
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have a Shilen barrel on my hunting rifle. It shoots better than I can.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:01 PM
Boerboel
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Maybe Volquartsen, it's cheaper. Seems like a crap shoot anyway, from what I see here.

Last edited by Boerboel; 04-24-2016 at 03:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2016, 05:55 PM
SquirrelAssassin

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Send a message via Yahoo to SquirrelAssassin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911CCW View Post
I have to agree with you on that. I have Shilen SS Varmint on one of my hunting rifles, and it's the truth.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:03 PM
SquirrelAssassin

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerboel View Post
Maybe Volquartsen, it's cheaper. Seems like a crap shoot anyway, from what I see here.
Buying a VQ is no crap shoot my friend. My very first 10/22 build(The Black Hand) has a VQ CF on it, and it's my favorite hunting rifle out of.....many with good reason.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:34 PM
Boerboel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911CCW View Post
Errrrrr, how well do you shoot?
Old 05-01-2016, 08:14 PM
moorepower

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Hmmm. How many world BR records are held, or were set with Lilja and Shilen compared to any LW variant? Has a VQ or Kidd, ever set a world record. Dan can be cranky, no argument there, but a 77/22 is not the ideal platform to determine if a barrel is a one holer.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:34 PM
Boerboel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I apologize for not knowing a lot of this stuff but I can't answer any of your questions, that was why I am asking. I was a shotgunner but lost a leg recently and am now looking at sitting while shooting.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:40 PM
moorepower

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Shilen and Lilja hold or have held many world records. I am not aware of LW holding in in .22lr. Hope that helps. Any mfg. can build a sub par barrel. Few will make a one holer.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:45 PM
SquirrelAssassin

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
I apologize for not knowing a lot of this stuff but I can't answer any of your questions, that was why I am asking. I was a shotgunner but lost a leg recently and am now looking at sitting while shooting.
That is how I have always hunted, sitting down. I might get up only if I don't see anything. I think you will do well with any of the barrels mentioned. I have hunting rifles that sport VQ, Shilen, and Kidd barrels on them, and they can all shoot.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:34 PM
rosscoe

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
I have a couple of Shilens, for the price! They shoot better than I do!

Last edited by rosscoe; 05-04-2016 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:05 PM
donie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The 77/22 can have some other problems that any new barrel cant solve.
Thinking of buying a replacement barrel, but not wanting to loose my iron sights, I chanced reworking the Ruger barrel-shortened the chamber, lapped the bore and a recessed target crown.
Not a whole lot of improvement until I addressed the action lock up and the distance between the bolt face and barrel face, with consideration for cartridge rim thickness and the rim pocket in the bolt face.
A bit of a can of worms, the gap between the bolt and barrel was .005". As I reduced the gap by cutting back the barrel shoulder in a lathe, the bolt would close sometimes tight and sometimes loose. A combination of the bolt lugs and the pads in the receiver not matching up, and the extractors causing the bolt to cant.
Not being a smith, but only a machinist, it took me a considerable amount of time to correct all that, much of it hand work.
Now the bolt/barrel gap is .0004"with no binding. shooting much better then I expected anyway with the stock barrel.

I read an article about Lilja having the best Pratt & Whitney gun drills in a machinist publication some years ago.

Last edited by donie; 05-06-2016 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:35 PM
djdilliodon

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
From Lilja to shilen or benchmark to bartlien, doesn't matter which one you use. If it's fitted perfectly and you have the supporting modifications to go along with it (bedding, ignition, trigger etc), they all will shoot lights out.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:10 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I put a Lilja 17 HMR drop in barrel on what was a 77/22 Mag for my dad. The Lilja drop in barrel certainly isn't cheap but I've got quite a few Lilja barrels on my centerfires and they all have performed exceptionally well so when we decided to switch his 77/22Mag over to a 17 HMR, I never even considered anything else. Considering how well it shoots, it was money well spent.

I've only had one Shilen barrel and it shoots pretty good, but not as good as my Hart's, Lilja's or Broughton's. I have a couple friends that are big Shilen barrel fans and they've had some rifles that shoot pretty darn good with Shilen barrels, but I've always been a little hung up on any barrel company that sells different grade barrels, such as Shilen. For me, I don't like the idea of a barrel manufacture that'll sell barrels that aren't their best and I don't care if it's at a reduced cost or not, if it is substandard to their "best" product, which is what they use as their "standard", why would you even stamp you name on the side of it and put it up for sale.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:44 AM
SquirrelAssassin

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
I did see Sniper's Hide is big on CZs with the Lilja. Very little on Shilen. Is this just board preference following?
I don't think so. Seems like everyone has a different preference to me.