77/22 Shilen or Lilja? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:57 PM
Boerboel
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
77/22 Shilen or Lilja?

If you had two barrels in front of you, one a Shilen and one a lilja (both replacements for the factory Ruger 77/22 barrel) - which of those two would you pick up and put on your 77/22?
Old 04-19-2016, 02:21 PM
iron85

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Neither. I've had more than one of both and they were a waste of money. Vq has been the best 77 barrel I have found with gm being second. At one point I had heard fedderson was going to offer them but I never saw any.
I will say I speak almost completely of spotter barrels. I did have a heavy lilja that was terrible. The vq barrels I've used are the carbon "bull" and the muzzle weighted.
Iron
Old 04-19-2016, 02:24 PM
iron85

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
If it had to be one of the two I'd pick shilen though. They are at least good people to deal with. Dan is arrogant and rude and will never see a penny of my money again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2016, 04:25 PM
sweetmk
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have a Shilen and a Clark barrel on 10/22's

The stainless is the Shilen. Both barrels are phenomenal,,

The Shilen has a MUCH tighter chamber, so it limits (slightly) what ammo I can use in it.

At 50 yards,, both shoot "touching cloverleafs",, I have VQ triggers in both.

Pretty much, I can not out-shoot either gun with the other.

I guess you can worry less about the tight chamber with a bolt action rifle??
Old 04-19-2016, 06:06 PM
Boerboel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was a bit surprised to hear both the Shilen and the Lilja barrels are a waste of money. I have seen a post about the Lilja service that was not too complementary.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:29 PM
iron85

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
The only shilen barrels I have had were sporters and did not please me for the price. A lot of people have had great results from lilja but I cannot get past the way Dan treated myself and later my father with one of his barrels. Both cases ended with having to reverse credit card charges and two barrels were just sold. To each their own but I'll spend my money with someone that cares and shows me respect.

Iron
Old 04-19-2016, 06:31 PM
NTXGDad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shilen vs Lilja

New poster here, long-time shooter. My 10/22 was mfr'd in 1977 but I've only had it since the early 80's.

Ed Shilen passed away last December. I flew with him some in the 1990's; never got to shoot with him. I believe a couple of his sons have been running the company since at least the early 2000's. Nothing I've heard makes me think Ed would be anything but pleased with their current products, attitude and customer service.

Last edited by NTXGDad; 04-19-2016 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-19-2016, 09:36 PM
10ring1
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
97% (58)
Ha-ha. Another lilja lynching. My vote. Lilja. Hands down. Had a spotter shilen that wasn't worth a darn. Sent it back after noticing a badly misaligned ejector groove. Did get a new one but not really impressed with accuracy. My lilja is dead nutz. Idk but I get attitude everywhere I go anymore. Dealt with a top notch stockmaker ( not here) but he was a total ***** but makes a heck of a stock. May have to take a little to get quality. Not that I agree it's right or wrong but seems customer service is not a priority any longer
Old 04-20-2016, 08:02 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I thought this was going to be about putting a 77/22 barrel on a 10/22...

perhaps you were not aware of the 77/22 forum on the boards here..good info to be found there
Old 04-20-2016, 02:28 PM
Boerboel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
I thought this was going to be about putting a 77/22 barrel on a 10/22...

perhaps you were not aware of the 77/22 forum on the boards here..good info to be found there
But the question is really the difference between two high cost aftermarket barrels. This could apply to any rifle. I have seen the 77/22 forum. It is more "how to."
Old 04-20-2016, 06:20 PM
iron85

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
I want to be clear that I am not hating on the product. Many people here have excellent results with lilja barrels. I did not care for the customer service. The fit and finish of the lilja barrels was perfect, they just didn't shoot nearly as good as they looked and he treated me like someone that was completely new to firearms. On all three barrels I used different actions(cpc'd 77 and Kidd 10/22), stocks, scopes etc. Dan still said I was the problem. I even sent him pictures shot with other rifles on the same target and he would not budge. Keep in mind a slip fit barrel and a custom ordered barrel cut and fit at the tightest spot are not the same thing.
Iron
Old 04-20-2016, 07:18 PM
Akboater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Performance or Attitude?

Owning Shilen, Lilja and Volquartsen rimfire barrels, I'd rate them thusly:

Performance: Tie between Shilen and Volquartsen for most accurate
Attitude: Tie between Lilja and Volquartsen for the worst

Based on my experience (admittedly limited), my vote would go to Shilen.

Rimfires can be such a crapshoot; I've had very inexpensive rifles that shot very accurately and very expensive rifles that shot like crap...the trick is finding ammo that they like and making sure everything else is right. For the most part, the older (30's/40's/50's) rimfires all shoot pretty darn good. Every once in awhile, you find a new rifle that shoots pretty good but not really consistent between brands it seems. Between the dozen or so Ruger 10/22's, they all shoot pretty average but I have one that is remarkably more accurate than the others (maybe I haven't found the right ammo yet?). I've got a couple of Volquartsen rifles that are exceptionally accurate and at their price point, I rather expected them to be exceptionally accurate. .22's...can't live with them, can't live without them.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:32 AM
OleFreak

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
If it were mine, I’d buy a Lilja barrel blank already contoured and bore hand lapped, then send it and the receiver probably to Randy, have him cut it to finished length, fit it to the receiver, chamber, and crown the thang.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:13 PM
Boerboel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I did see Sniper's Hide is big on CZs with the Lilja. Very little on Shilen. Is this just board preference following?
Old 04-21-2016, 08:16 PM
iron85

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleFreak View Post
If it were mine, Id buy a Lilja barrel blank already contoured and bore hand lapped, then send it and the receiver probably to Randy, have him cut it to finished length, fit it to the receiver, chamber, and crown the thang.
Best suggestion so far. A slip fit will rarely be as good as a smith installed.