Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-13-2004, 07:45 PM
Irishfly

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lightbulb New Walther P22 fix.

I haven't read of anybody doing this yet but was messing around trying to fix my P22 and figured something out. I have solved all its little quirks since I had gotten mine except for the safety going on while firing (yes it had ALL of them). I tried to open up the detent with a small drill bit as some have suggested so that the ball on the safety lever would catch better. Worked ehhhhh so-so. Made it about 3 rounds further into the magazine before safety came on. The problem I saw with the whole situation was that the safety levers were to loose so that no matter how nice and sharp of a hole you had, the little ball would not stay tightly in the detent. I could not tighten the levers with the screw on each side that held them on because the levers themselves bottomed out into the slide. This means, no matter how tight you tighten the screws, the levers don't squeeze on each side of the frame thus making a tight fit for the detent. Try yours. Grab the safety lever and giggle it. If it is like mine, it will shake because of the play in the system. Sooooooo. What I did was take a small fine file and after taking the safety levers off, filed down the part that inserted into the slide. First the flat part on either side of the raised section (raised section fits into the notch in the slide) then the raised part got filed. Go slow. I took a few thousands off of each and then tried it. Then took a little more off. When I put the safety levers back on and tightened them up they snugged down so I could hardly move them. I loosened them up just a touch where they were still snug and voila! I think that this is how Walther had envisioned the design (or should have). The safety moves on and off crisply with absolutely no play. There is a positive click at the end of the movement when the ball moves into place and no movement at all when in place. It kind of feels like a 1911 thumb safety or the selectfire lever on an MP-5. Thats the only way I can describe it. Now I love my loathesome P22. It has gone through 5 boxes of ammo without a hiccup. Hope this helps some of you guys and if you don't understand anything, let me know. I can also put together some pictures if there is any interest in this fix.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:26 PM
kasudyo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't have more than 0.002" of play in my safety lever, and have never had any problem with it. There's a member here who puts together a website with a few fixes, it's located at http://www.sju.edu/~bc165187/ . It started with just P22, but he's got a couple other guns on there now too. If he stumbles across here, maybe he could add your info to his P22 "fixes" page?
Old 04-13-2004, 11:24 PM
Irishfly

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up I love the fixes page.

I love the fixes page. It has gotten me though lots of headaches. Right after I made this first post, I emailed him with a CC of the text. So he should get it straight away. Sounds like yours had no problems. Got two buddies who bought theirs from the same dealer at the same time as mine and not a problem yet. Their pistols will even cycle Federal Lightning bulk ammo of which mine has never shot more than three in a row. Weird huh? Mine is still ginning along perfectly. Just shot another box of ammo in the backyard through the suppressor.

Damian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2004, 01:15 AM
kasudyo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I did at first have a feeding problem, which turned out to be a loose barrel nut, and the whole barrel was able to slide back and forth about 0.125". I tightened it and it was fine. Since then it's been pretty good, there are some ammo it likes less than its favorite, CCI MiniMags. I did have the "spontaneous mag release while firing" problem, which only happened with CCI Stingers, it probably was just my finger hitting the release as has been widely speculated and accepted.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:32 AM
ShotGunLoboTomy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
see mine has always eaten federal lighting, wont touch win super x at all tho and dont like to cycle rem subs either, the only problem i have with mine is it not catching open on the last round
Old 04-14-2004, 12:44 PM
Phoenix_III

Philadelphia, PA AND Northern NJ, ala Morris County
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Phoenix_III
Hehe, I got emailed with the fix. Fix and pictures are now online. Also added Beretta U22 stuff. Adding more as I find.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:45 PM
Irishfly

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks great

There are pictures there guys if what I said isn't making sense.

Debo
Old 04-14-2004, 11:55 PM
LtRiker
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
92% (10)
Send a message via AIM to LtRiker
Mine had NO problems right out of the box it feeds on Rem subs and the safety stays put and the slide always locks after the last round, even on the non A flat bottom mag...
Old 04-15-2004, 12:35 AM
Irishfly

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow

Lucky you. Yours is an Mine is a
Old 04-15-2004, 08:18 AM
jaqattack02

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine works great too, although it's still pretty new. Anly about 250 rds through so far. The only problem i've seen on it mentioned on that page, is the one about the pin on the extractor rubbing on that little hump. The gunsmith at my local range knows about it and said he could fix it for $15 or $20. He said the pin that's in there is a little too small, and through some trial and error he found the correct size that stays put. I'm gonna take it by there later this week and get him to do it.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:42 AM
kasudyo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I looked for "phoenix" under the users list, but i couldn't find you. Odd.
Old 04-17-2004, 03:49 PM
58Rem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi,

I have also found the perfect fix for my gun. I stopped trying to make Remington Golden bullets work. I bought a box of 500 federal lightning's and my gun now works perfect.

I have shot more than 12 different types of ammo through this P22 including 300 rounds of federal lightnings and I have never had one problem with the federals. Every type of remington I tried gave the gun fits. The safety only fell when I was shooting golden bullets or thunderbolts. I thought they were duds until I noticed the safety kept falling.

CCI mini-mags worked perfectly too, but they are too expensive. Winchester xperts and superX fail to feed about 4 or 5 every 50.
Walmart has lightnings for less than 10 buck for 10 boxes of 50. I will have to buy a bunch more when my dueling tree gets here.

Happy shooting!
Old 04-23-2004, 01:57 PM
kbc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasudyo
I don't have more than 0.002" of play in my safety lever, and have never had any problem with it. There's a member here who puts together a website with a few fixes, it's located at http://www.sju.edu/~bc165187/ . It started with just P22, but he's got a couple other guns on there now too. If he stumbles across here, maybe he could add your info to his P22 "fixes" page?
Hey! Good List of stuff!!
Old 05-28-2004, 05:10 AM
Crete

Palan isi lena (also known as Europe in vernacular Polynesian)
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thumbs up Many thanks to Irishfly !

Damian,

Many thanks, indeed, for your sound advice/fix of the P22's safety catch.

I just followed your instructions from this thread and from here http://www.sju.edu/~bc165187/

I took a few thousands off with a metal file and tried it. After several shooting sessions, the safety levers stayed put.

As a bonus they now give a satisfying "CLICK" (not too loud but more reassuring than the former "twing"), when the safety is disengaged and returned to the up "F" (firing) position.

Brilliant advice. We are lucky to have you here . Keep those good ideas coming...

Best regards,
Crete
Old 06-05-2004, 11:41 PM
Irishfly

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks

Thanks Crete. I appreciate the kind words.

Debo