Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:48 PM
john_ciocca

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New Buck Mark loading issue

I just got a brand new Browning Buck Mark. It seems to have a jamming issue where the round intermittently gets presented at an angle that won't feed. The result is a jam like the one in the picture every 30 rounds or so. In the picture is Aguila Super Extra but believe it or not I tried CCI Mini Mag and the exact same failure mode happens...so it's not the ammo. Anybody else with a similar issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2015, 06:50 PM
azbud

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I didn't have this issue very often with my factory new Buck Mark and new magazines; but when I did, it was because I didn't have the magazine flush with the bottom of the magwell. It felt and sounded like it was in all the way but I noticed there was a very small gap. When the magazine was pushed all the way in, I didn't have any more issues. The new magazines initially felt stiff going in. The failure to feed usually happened on the ninth or tenth rounds. There's other possible solutions like polishing the ramp, thorough cleaning, etc. but the previous explanation is what worked for me. Congrats on your new Buck Mark!
Old 07-18-2015, 07:02 PM
john_ciocca

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes the same usually happens on the 9th or 10th round. Also some of the magazines seemed to seat but seat rough. Is it break in? Weird! Anyway I will make sure the magazines are seated as well as possible.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2015, 08:20 PM
drshame

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Break-In Issue, imho
Use high velocity ammo, make sure the pistol is lubed and keep the chamber throat clean till it wears in more.
Make sure the mag is fully engaged, don't be gentle at this point.

Does it do it with all ammo?
Old 07-18-2015, 08:39 PM
john_ciocca

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I only tried aguila super extra and cci mini mags and yes it did it to both. I do have cci stingers I can shoot...I will try those. I was also able to get it to misfeed while manually cycling. I mini cleaned the gun and successfully cycled 50 rounds without a jam manually. I will try the stingers next at the range....hopefully it's ok.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:48 PM
azbud

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
+1 on the break in issue. Although I had very few issues in the first 500 rounds, my pistol shoots flawlessly now and does especially well with CCI SV. As far as Stingers are concerned, I don't shoot them in my Buck Mark as I prefer to use a lower velocity round.

Last edited by azbud; 07-18-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:47 PM
john_ciocca

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kind of sucks there is a "break in". I have a S&W 422 that I bought in 1995 and I just shot it from day one....shoots anything and no break in.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:22 AM
azbud

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Although this may sound contradictory to my prior post, based on reports I've read on this site; I wouldn't say that a break in period is the norm. Many have reported 100% functioning from the beginning. My issues were either related to certain ammo brands or my own error of not fully inserting the magazine.

Last edited by azbud; 07-19-2015 at 12:28 AM.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:44 AM
john_ciocca

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok I rephrase....for me it sucks because I don't believe I am doing anything wrong. I am seating the mags as well as any other gun I have and using CCI Mini Mags.....so my jury is still out. Today I will seat the mags like a mo fo and use CCI Stingers. I'll report back on results.

Old 07-19-2015, 02:21 PM
john_ciocca

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just left the range. Today I shot about 300 rounds of CCI Stingers and about 150 rounds of Aguila Super Extra. Ironically it only jammed on the 9th or 10th round of the CCI Stingers. Maybe 1 jam every 40 rounds or so. Kind of ridiculous....I guess I should call Browning for warranty work...I have about 800 or 900 rounds through this....I don't think it's going to get better.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:40 PM
john_ciocca

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So I decided to clean the gun very good since everybody always suggests that. Upon disassembly, I noticed the recoil spring guide rod retaining clip was missing....as in not installed in a brand new gun! The spring was trapped on the guide rod and buffer...but no clip meaning the incorrect tension was being applied. Can this be the jamming issue? See attached pictures.

The schematic shows #38 retaining clip

My assembly came out like this

The up close shows where the clip should go

Old 07-19-2015, 04:44 PM
john_ciocca

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New Buck Mark loading issue

Wait it gets even better! Upon further inspection I found the clip. Look where it was...jammed inside the buffer. Maybe it slipped off during operation?

Old 07-19-2015, 04:52 PM
MrErnie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got the same problem as you with the rounds. Checked my gun now...spring was all the way back. Gonna test it later. Thanks!

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2015, 05:01 PM
john_ciocca

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Had to crimp it a bit because it was loose fitting but got it back on. Geeez, this sure is B.S.!

Old 07-19-2015, 09:05 PM
drshame

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
These are quality, mass-produced guns with decent parts cheap enough to allow the company to produce a decent product that most of us can afford.
It's got a guarantee.
Use it if you have to.
There are no "perfect guns". Most require a little extra love at the beginning whether it's from the owner or the service techs.
You also need to eliminate the magazine from the equation in case it's bad.
Do you have another Mag?

That mis-installed clip could make a difference, or have nothing to do with it.

Ammo may or may not be problematic too, you don't know yet till you eliminate the other possible faults.

Have you called Browning Service and see what they say? I've had issues with other much more expensive guns, and the warranty work was excellent, so it's not the price of the gun that really matters in this equation.

Good News: If the thrill is gone between you and the Buckmark, you can sell it here and not lose much $$$ at all and try something else.

Let me tell you about my finicky 10X High Standard!