CHECKERING: Who would like to see how? - Page 19 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:03 AM
smokey9701

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I have a question about the cutters. From the looks of them, they don't look like tools when can be sharpened. Will a good set last a few years on common woods like walnut?
Old 11-28-2018, 11:22 AM
FrankW
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi smokey9701,

You can sharpen some cutters but not all. I had good luck with Gunline style single line cutters and some two line cutters. You need a thin, flat, fine cut needle file. I used Brownells. A few swipes between the teeth and they were sharp. The needle file will probably be too narrow fit between the teeth so you can sharpen both teeth at the same time. To be honest the best result was to buy new cutters. They do last a long time and back in the 70's/80's didn't cost that much. There is a chance you might have to anneal and reharden the cutter but I don't remember having to do that.

You can also buy checkering files from Brownells and make some of your own cutters like the S1 style. I had a couple of special single line tools that I made. I made my special tools from tool steel and harden them. I had one single line tool that was about 1" long that I used to make sure border lines along the forend edge were straight.

Frank
Old 01-01-2019, 04:26 PM
arkrunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Lebeau Courally checkering

recently checkered this nice 1906 SS for a friend.
Recut the forend checkering and new checkering on the buttstock will refinish both pieces

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2019, 03:11 AM
Gabby-Bill
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Checkering tools for sale online.

Hi guys I've been away for a while doing all kinds of other things.Being retired has it benefits.
While looking for carving knives and tools I came across this site. This page has the checkering tools on it. I hope this is of some use to people looking for tools.
You are !

https://www.woodcarverssupply.com/products.asp?dept=21

Best of luck,
Gabby
Old 01-02-2019, 11:54 AM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Tried to follow this thread back when it started, but life got in the way. Working too many hours on my run up to retirement and just couldn't squeeze in one more hobby. Well, now that I'm retired I'm going to give this another try and this thread has been not only helpful, but inspirational in my learning process.
I have a Pre 64 Model 70 stock that was pretty beat that I'm prepping for checkering. The old checkering was worn down and/or filled with finish so I just scraped and sanded all the old finish and checkering off and I'm going to start from scratch. Truoil starts going on today and I'll be practicing on whatever I have around while the finish is curing. Hopefully I won't screw it up too badly....

Thanks for keeping this thread alive. Some of the work I'm seeing here is beautiful....

Bob
Old 01-02-2019, 12:08 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Arkrunner that looks great! Beautiful stock.

I've sharpened WE Brownell cutters with fine stones. I don't think the DemBarts can though I haven't tried. The best is getting carbide Ullman tools that stay sharp forever.

Earlier this year I got a new tool that I'll start another thread on soon. Been doing a lot of hand checkering the slow and steady way and this thing will speed it up dramatically.

Recent work on a stock for a Ruger no. 1 rifle:

Last edited by ek-marlin-424; 01-03-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:11 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Well, I've about had it fighting with my Dembart cutters. I get a pattern started with the guide cutters, start cutting with the single line cutters, and everything seems to go to heck about 2/3 of the way through my pattern. No matter how careful I am my cutters just don't want to follow a line at times. Lucky it was just on some practice pieces.
I guess I'll be shopping for some gunline cutters soon. A quick question- will the Gunline cutters fit on the Dembart shafts? I would like to get the whole enchilada in Gunline but being retired now my disposable income is limited (according to my wife anyway)... so I need to save where I can and buying a few cutters is cheaper than buying a whole set of Gunline tools...

What LPI is everyone cutting in their pictures? I'm wondering if I would be better off starting with 18 LPI instead of the 20 LPI I've been attempting (and failing at)....

Bob
Old 02-28-2019, 08:56 PM
chillypepper
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
For you guys having some issues with cutters, I stepped up and got Doiron carbide. Never sharpen a cutter again, and don't wander much. They cut so well I gave away most all my gunlines. Gave away the dembarts years ago.

Keep an eye on the auction sights for a rotary checking tool. I liked mmc the best. No one makes them anymore so the prices on them are climbing.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:38 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Bob I'm cutting 20-24 lpi. Most all is about 21 lpi with a Pilkington 3-row spacing tool (just a touch finer than my other 20 lpi spacers), the thing is built like a tank. The cutter itself is like a WE Brownell cutter with big teeth and not fine file rows like the DemBart. I used it on the stock in my previous post.

I agree 100% with Chillypepper, all I'm using now for single cutters are Doiron carbide from Mike Ullman. Indeed they are always sharp. https://www.ullmanprecisionproducts.com/ They also produce the Titan power checkering tool, and that thing works. More on it soon.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:58 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks for the help guys. Now to break out the checkbook and go shopping...

Hoping the Ullman 3 row cutter will suffice in place of the Pilkington you mentioned? Seems like the Pilkington is a bit difficult to find these days?

Bob
Old 03-01-2019, 10:07 PM
chillypepper
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
I don't recall if Ullman bought out Doiron after he died, or if they were partners and bought his half after.

Last time I was bought anything the rotary tools weren't available only the replacement cutters. Yeah, it's been a few years. It's nice to see that they have become available again. Like anything anything else, all it takes is enough want and money.

I haven't checkered in few years now. my right arm don't care much for it anymore. As long as I go short time and long term I can still make tiny diamonds. I do have one stock I have to a full workup on. Gotta finish the metal work first, and put my cradle back together.