Value of Belgian Challenger Grips? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:06 AM
Richard King
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Value of Belgian Challenger Grips?

I have a set of original Browning Challenger grips. Identical to the ones in the stock photo below. Only in much better condition. That I want to sell. The Challenger they came off of, was made in 1965. What would be the realistic, current fair market value? Looked on fleabay, and couldn't find any listed at all? Thanks for your help, in advance.

Deleted stock net photo of Challenger. Added photo of my Challenger in post #9. Showing condition of grips.

Last edited by Richard King; 09-10-2014 at 12:45 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:51 AM
Cramiekske

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard King View Post
I have a set of original Browning Challenger grips. Identical to the ones in the stock photo below. Only in much better condition. That I want to sell. The Challenger they came off of, was made in 1965. What would be the realistic, current fair market value? Looked on fleabay, and couldn't find any listed at all? Thanks for your help, in advance.
Few months ago I bought a pair on e-gun (German second hand gun auction site) I paid 50 euro's. Equals to 60-70 USD.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:50 AM
losrobles
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Western Gun Parts in Canada sells them for $55 starting bid, $60 bucks buy now on GunBroker, plus shipping. When I got mine recently I think the total was around $65.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=439379875
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2014, 12:52 PM
Richard King

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks. Didn't think that they would be still available, as NOS? There goes my fantasies, that they would be worth $200
Old 09-09-2014, 01:38 PM
Nolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Put them up on Gunbroker, some sucker, errr unsuspecting, I mean aficionado may pay $200.

Nolan
Old 09-09-2014, 07:54 PM
marewolfe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Richard I would be in at $60....pm me if interested.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:01 PM
Steve S
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I paid $100 I believe it was for them from a member here about a year ago. Somewhat better than the ones in the pics, but not perfect and were described to me as such. That was WITH the screw, which I needed as well.
I was a happy camper and think I got a fair deal.
For ones like in the photo, I'd say about $80 or so with no screw.

Strip the old varnish off and use about 2 light coats of Tru Oil and you should have nearly pristine grips.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:13 PM
Richard King

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
I paid $100 I believe it was for them from a member here about a year ago. Somewhat better than the ones in the pics, but not perfect and were described to me as such. That was WITH the screw, which I needed as well.
I was a happy camper and think I got a fair deal.
For ones like in the photo, I'd say about $80 or so with no screw.

Strip the old varnish off and use about 2 light coats of Tru Oil and you should have nearly pristine grips.

The one in the photo, aren't mine. The photo is from GOOGLE images, as I didn't have a photo of just the grip on mine. The grip on my Challenger, is in much better shape. I will post a photo later on.

As I have ordered the screw and escutcheons from Triple K, along with their Urethane grips. The original screw and escutcheons, are going to be sold with the original Challenger grip.

Unfortunately the ergonomics of the original Challenger grip, aren't compatible with my chubby hand and short fingers. Didn't want to start rasping and sanding on it. Ordered some grips from Triple K. The are made out of cast Urethane plastic. So I won't loose any sleep about Dremeling them.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:38 AM
Richard King

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Photo of my Challenger grips added.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:26 AM
Deaconblue

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
The only Challenger grip that I saw on the Triple K website are for the Colt Challenger.... The only grips for Brownings I saw are for a High Power... I wouldn't sell your grip until you can confirm that they will fit. Your grip has more value to a collector who needs a good example of a grip for a 1965 Challenger for a particular gun. The Amber Novadur grips are expensive in New condition but the black ones can be had for under $50. You would need to notch it out for the slide lock lever. This is the grip to buy for smaller hands, but they are a real joy to install...NOT! They also require a different screw than the wood grip.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:19 AM
Richard King

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaconblue View Post
The only Challenger grip that I saw on the Triple K website are for the Colt Challenger.... The only grips for Brownings I saw are for a High Power... I wouldn't sell your grip until you can confirm that they will fit. Your grip has more value to a collector who needs a good example of a grip for a 1965 Challenger for a particular gun. The Amber Novadur grips are expensive in New condition but the black ones can be had for under $50. You would need to notch it out for the slide lock lever. This is the grip to buy for smaller hands, but they are a real joy to install...NOT! They also require a different screw than the wood grip.

Triple K has a new subsidiary they just purchased, called "Vintage Gun Grips". The Browning Challenger grips are listed as, "Browning Standard 1969/74". Here is a link to their web page. As they are 2 piece grips, rather than the one piece original Brownings. Hopefully they will be easier to fit, then the black plastic Nomad grips.

http://vintagegungrips.net/ao-b17.html
Old 09-10-2014, 06:56 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
The NOS grips offered by WGP are not the same as yours,Richard.They were made for European sold FN versions,(satin finish)not the guns made by FN for Browning.Browning collectors would prefer yours,and high condition will be a price driver as well..
If they were mine,I'd put them on ebay with a $50 opening bid,and cross my fingers for some action.Though ebay will take a 13% bite between their fee and paypal,I think that the odds are good that you'll do better than just offering them at a fixed price on a forum such as this.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:26 AM
shootist2121

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Cool

I think you'll discover the new grips will not fit..I'm afraid they threw you a curve, those look to fit the 69/74 Browning 380(1922 Modified by the 1968 Gun Control Act).. Not the 22 Challenger...

Be safe
Old 09-11-2014, 02:44 PM
Richard King

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist2121 View Post
I think you'll discover the new grips will not fit..I'm afraid they threw you a curve, those look to fit the 69/74 Browning 380(1922 Modified by the 1968 Gun Control Act).. Not the 22 Challenger...

Be safe

Funny thing! I use to own one of those pistols. Never imagined in a million years, that Triple K would sell them as "Browning Standard 1969/74". As that wasn't Browning designation. They called them "Browning Model 10/71". Really strange pistol, a .380 with adjustable sights and target grips. I've enclosed a photo off the net. As the one I had is long gone. Considering the price of .380 ammo. Definitely wasn't going to use it, for target shooting.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:59 PM
Deaconblue

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
This is probably the least expensive option. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=440261919
I could help you out with a screw if you need it. Not original but does the job.