Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:42 AM
justpaper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Thanks Nolan.

Chim's dissecting guide has already been very helpful. (Thanks chim!) It just wasn't clear to me how much had to be disassembled to change the hammer. The guide that SCG referenced was helpful showing what needed removing to get to the hammer. Moreguns also let me know that the sear and mainspring did not need removing. I now have a Volquartsen hammer on order.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:21 AM
justpaper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Received my Volquartsen Target Hammer today for my Browning Buck Mark Contour! It comes with what appears to be the Silhouette/ Varmint sear spring.

I did notice a burr on the edge of the channel.

And on the lever.

But pretty easy to file and smooth the burrs.

Hammer notch appears to have slightly less positive angle, and rounded edge.

Compared to stock hammer.

I had to take out the sear to remove the stock hammer from the top. I noticed the sear surfaces had machining marks.

So I lightly stoned the surfaces with an Arkansas stone, leaving the sharp edge, and not entirely removing the machining marks, as the Volquartsen Hammer was designed to be used with the stock sear. Just smoothed the surfaces a little and removed the burr at the edge.

I reassembled the Buck Mark Contour. The trigger pull weight doesn't seem to have changed much as I didn't change the sear spring because I already had a lighter sear spring than the Silhouette/ Varmint spring. Most importantly, it did significantly reduce the felt amount of creep which was the reason I ordered the Volquartsen Target Hammer, so I am happy with the purchase. Just need to go test it out at the range...
Old 12-13-2014, 12:17 PM
zvenoman
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moreguns View Post
For the buck mark, dore the sear have to be removed to replace the hammer. If you know the answer please let me know. I don't want a link to another web page thanks.
Now that's entertaining!
JH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2014, 09:26 PM
steel_killer
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Installed the Volquartsen hammer/sear spring kit the other night. Did not have to remove the sear or the thumb safety. I now have the kits in both my BM's. One came in at 2 pounds and the other at 1.75.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:49 PM
ScoobyDoo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
I wrote Volquartsen about the BM Rifle:

My email:

Hi. I noticed that this part states it "Fits Browning Buckmark Pistol only", however, I also noticed that Browning's part numbers are the same for the Buck Mark Pistol and the Buck Mark Rifle for each of the Hammer, Hammer Link, Hammer Link Pin, Hammer Pin and Sear. Thus, will the VQ hammer work for the Buck Mark Rifle as well as the pistol?

Thanks.

Their reply:

We wanted to do some checking before saying definitively that it will work on the rifle but after testing it they will work on the rifle model as well.

Scott

They also updated their website to reflect that it works on the rifle as well.

Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 12-20-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:20 PM
ScoobyDoo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
So my beautiful wife got me the VQ Hammer for Christmas, which I installed today in a Buck Mark Rifle and plan to take to the range tomorrow.

Trigger pull (average across 10 pulls) went from 3lbs 6.4oz for the stock Hammer and Sear Spring to 2lbs 3.8oz for the VQ Hammer and Sear Spring.

Installation was a bit more frustrating than expected, mostly because the order in which I had to take apart and reassemble was different than what I was told. Like justpaper above, I had to remove the sear in order to pull out the hammer. Similarly, I had to install the hammer before installing the sear. Also, getting the safety click plate in and out was a pain.

Finally, for anyone who is interested, you can pick up the VQ Hammer for about 20% less at Rimfire Sports & Custom ($46.95 and free shipping if I recall - tax if you live in VA).
Old 04-13-2015, 10:16 AM
baddarryl
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ordern one last night. Got done with my .22 rifles, one with a Kat trigger (Marlin 795)and the other with a Rifle Basix (Marlin 981T). Then I picked up my Buckmark and it felt like pulling a tow truck after those. In the mail! Wow, good triggers will ruin your life!
Old 04-13-2015, 10:44 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very nice info here

Biggs
Old 04-13-2015, 12:57 PM
LCPeaShooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
So my beautiful wife got me the VQ Hammer for Christmas, which I installed today in a Buck Mark Rifle and plan to take to the range tomorrow.

Trigger pull (average across 10 pulls) went from 3lbs 6.4oz for the stock Hammer and Sear Spring to 2lbs 3.8oz for the VQ Hammer and Sear Spring.

Installation was a bit more frustrating than expected, mostly because the order in which I had to take apart and reassemble was different than what I was told. Like justpaper above, I had to remove the sear in order to pull out the hammer. Similarly, I had to install the hammer before installing the sear. Also, getting the safety click plate in and out was a pain.

Finally, for anyone who is interested, you can pick up the VQ Hammer for about 20% less at Rimfire Sports & Custom ($46.95 and free shipping if I recall - tax if you live in VA).
Thanks for the tip. Order placed.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:24 PM
photoracer
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenn330 View Post
If they make any buckmark pistol barrels I'm sure they could make one for the rifle easily. Just cut to size. I'm guessing Scott would do that with no issue, just a little more cost for material.
The Buckmark rilfe and pistols barrels are not interchangeable. The receiver mating surface on the pistol barrel is flat vertical while the one on the rifle barrel is cut at a 45 degree angle.
Scott used to make one Buckmark barrel, a 14" one, out of stainless and carbon fiber to have a lightweight option for the Buckmark Silhouette Unlimited. Only model they made so far and it was in the catalog as late as 2010 or so.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:38 PM
photoracer
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I bought the kit myself inspite of the fact that my BM racegun has a 1.8# trigger with the flip. My reason for buying to put it in would be to have a similar trigger pull but but have the sear spring in the standard orientation to allow the hammer to hit harder than it does with the flipped sear spring.
But one thing I noticed is the hammer spring arm is longer on the VQ hammer that on the older pre-2001 Browning hammer in the guns I have. I know from before if the arm is too long it preloads the main spring and makes it really hard to pull the slide back and it also slows the slide down in recoil. Same thing if you buy a new current model hammer from Browning. What I don't know is if Browning made the mainspring cup deeper in post-2001 guns so that replacing the hammer in older guns would require a newer mainspring cup.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:57 PM
DonR
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Agree about the rough sanding marks...not what one would expect for a custom part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstuard View Post
I have to say I am surprised at the machining marks on those parts. Not what I would expect considering their reputation w/ Rugers.
Agree about the rough sanding marks...not what one would expect for a custom part...Looks like someone made it in a Sophomore metalworking shop class...
Old 04-14-2015, 12:03 AM
justpaper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't remember taking a photo of the mainspring cup, but I don't think it was deeper than a semi-circle in my 2014 BM Contour. I did end up cutting a coil off the mainspring to lighten the trigger a bit more since I'm only shooting standard velocity. I also have a non-flipped lighter sear spring (passes the flick test) than the one included in the Volquartsen kit. So far no failures or other cycling problems.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:00 AM
vrago

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Volq Adjustable Trigger

Found a Volquartsen stainless steel adjustable trigger on Ebay for $20. Search "Buckmark trigger". Did not see it on the Volquartsen site. Did not find reference to it anywhere else in searches. Maybe a limited run or prototype.

I took a gamble...

Nice looking piece. The blade is 3/8 wide with chamfers. Has grub screw adjustment like the Browning Adjustable. Came with a spare stainless over travel grub screw. Pistol in DROS now, so I'll have to wait to check the fit until I have both in hand.

Surprised when I got the package in the mail today, return address was Volquartsen Custom.

From the ebay listing there appears to be 6 available at this time.

Volquartsen Hammer on order based upon this thread.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:08 PM
LCPeaShooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrago View Post
Found a Volquartsen stainless steel adjustable trigger on Ebay for $20. Search "Buckmark trigger". Did not see it on the Volquartsen site. Did not find reference to it anywhere else in searches. Maybe a limited run or prototype.

I took a gamble...

Nice looking piece. The blade is 3/8 wide with chamfers. Has grub screw adjustment like the Browning Adjustable. Came with a spare stainless over travel grub screw. Pistol in DROS now, so I'll have to wait to check the fit until I have both in hand.

Surprised when I got the package in the mail today, return address was Volquartsen Custom.

From the ebay listing there appears to be 6 available at this time.

Volquartsen Hammer on order based upon this thread.
Thanks for the tip. Order placed.