Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:24 PM
retiredUSAF
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pellet Trap for my driveway range

I bought a Crossman 1377C from Midway a couple of weeks ago. I have been having fun with it in my driveway. Live out in boonies and neighbors are a long way off. I have been using an old Box with stick-on Shoot-en-sees I got at PSA. I saw this Pellet trap on Midway and decided to give it a try. Should be here next week. They do give a warning not to use bb's as it creates a ricochet danger with them. Anyone else tried this? If so how did you like it? It was 14 Bucks. so no big expense. link to it below if interested.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/174...ProductFinding
Old 05-25-2014, 09:08 PM
farrlarr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Looks good and should work fine. If there is any way to get into the back of it and put down a layer of duct seal, I would suggest that you do so since it will silence the trap (that is, you won't have pellets hitting directly on the metal or being deflected into the metal, which is probably going to be a bit noisy).

"A man has to know his limitations."
Old 05-26-2014, 11:34 AM
Rimfiregal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We use several of those on our backyard ranges and they work, fine, provided you anchor them solidly or at least brace them with something, a rock, log whatever. If you don't, you can get ricochets if the trap moves when hit. Pretty much the same issue with any lightweight, all metal trap. Just brace it with something and it will work for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2014, 12:18 PM
Pivo_Slump
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You could try attaching carpet scraps to the angled walls so they all meet in the center. It would be enough to stop bb & 1377 ricochets, higher fps break barrels, etc. not so much. And goes without saying eye protection is a must.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:09 PM
T191032

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...ht=Pellet+Trap

Gamo Bone Catcher Pellet Trap Fails the Test

Old 05-26-2014, 09:18 PM
retiredUSAF
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you all for your input. The video was pretty revealing. Think I will try to find something to put inside the trap to dampen the impact, wadded up paper or some spongy filter material. I will make sure to anchor it well also.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:34 PM
longdx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A simple solution is to get some electrical duct seal (located at any home improvement store). It is like a slab of modeling clay. This will do two things; 1) lesson the sound and 2) reduce any change of ricochet/ damage beyond the trap. The beauty is that after 1000s of rounds, go can cut out the embedded BBs/pellets and remold the duct seal.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:32 AM
NWGosha

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by longdx View Post
A simple solution is to get some electrical duct seal (located at any home improvement store). It is like a slab of modeling clay. This will do two things; 1) lesson the sound and 2) reduce any change of ricochet/ damage beyond the trap. The beauty is that after 1000s of rounds, go can cut out the embedded BBs/pellets and remold the duct seal.
+1

I built a trap with a the front being a clip board that was cut out for clearance . ie an open frame. I used duct seal as the stop and a cookie sheet as the back piece. My air guns reports are louder than the "stop".
Old 05-28-2014, 12:29 AM
quator

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just use particle board and gravel for mine

staple gun the targets to different places,and you wont need to cover up the front board very often.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:03 PM
retiredUSAF
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quator View Post
staple gun the targets to different places,and you wont need to cover up the front board very often.
The way I shoot I get a lot of milage out of my targets anyway.....

BTW it arrived in the mail today. tied up with a bunch of crap tonight so won't get to try it until tomorrow. weather permitting of course.

Last edited by retiredUSAF; 05-29-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:42 PM
quator

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I remember such days, too.

but they were about 45 years ago.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:23 AM
ShootsAtSky
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've used a similar one for about ten years. Works well for low power pellets from my 1377.

I do stuff a rag or paper in the top of the clean out tube to stop ricochets out the top, and it does have occasional bounce backs out the front.

The only time I tried BBs it did have pretty close to 50% bounces, mostly out the top.

It can stop my heavier 22 pellet guns, but bends the deflector up, it's getting kind of soft after many years, but the stuffed rag helps hold it in place.

It is not good for Colibri or Super Colibri, first shot bent the deflector out of place and dented the back wall.

I put a thick phone book and heavy baking sheet behind it when shooting indoors, in case of fliers.

You don't mention targets, but Walmart carries the Gamo targets that drop right into the holder on the front.

Bob
Old 05-31-2014, 01:07 AM
4ster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My DIY pellet trap

I wanted to be able to recycle my pellets without digging them out of duct seal. The pellets go into my lead stash for my flintlock round ball moulds. I also wanted the trap to hold 8.5X11 sized targets. So I made my trap with an angled plate that directs the pellets into a holding area.

For some reason I got it into my head that I wanted to make the sides out of wood. The sides could have easily been made from steel, but I had some planking laying in the scrap pile...

I tend to make stuff with the materials I have on hand as much as possible. I happened to have a bit of 3/8 plate for the angled impact plate and some 1/4 wall pipe to redirect the pellets into the trap in addition to the planking.

In order to cut the grooves accurately in both sides I made a router template to guide the router making the grooves that hold the steel plates in place.

At first I used double sided tape to hold the targets in place. I got tired of replacing the tape an changed to magnets.

One unexpected advantage is that between the mass of the angled plate and the wood sides the trap does not ring when struck. Just a dull "thwack" as the pellet hits.

Here is the trap:

And with a target:

And here is the template:
Old 06-01-2014, 05:38 PM
retiredUSAF
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootsAtSky View Post

You don't mention targets, but Walmart carries the Gamo targets that drop right into the holder on the front.

Bob
I did not know that. It came with 100 targets and they offer a 100 pack of targets on Midway....But they look pretty Generic. I will look at walmart for refills. Thanks
Tom
Old 06-01-2014, 05:43 PM
retiredUSAF
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ster View Post
I wanted to be able to recycle my pellets without digging them out of duct seal. The pellets go into my lead stash for my flintlock round ball moulds. I also wanted the trap to hold 8.5X11 sized targets. So I made my trap with an angled plate that directs the pellets into a holding area.

For some reason I got it into my head that I wanted to make the sides out of wood. The sides could have easily been made from steel, but I had some planking laying in the scrap pile...

I tend to make stuff with the materials I have on hand as much as possible. I happened to have a bit of 3/8 plate for the angled impact plate and some 1/4 wall pipe to redirect the pellets into the trap in addition to the planking.

In order to cut the grooves accurately in both sides I made a router template to guide the router making the grooves that hold the steel plates in place.

At first I used double sided tape to hold the targets in place. I got tired of replacing the tape an changed to magnets.

One unexpected advantage is that between the mass of the angled plate and the wood sides the trap does not ring when struck. Just a dull "thwack" as the pellet hits.

Here is the trap:

And with a target:

And here is the template:

WoW. Well thought out and definitely "A better Mouse Trap" than I got for $14 at Midway. I am really starting to enjoy my 1377. It is so much easier to just plop a new target on it and go out in the driveway and Blast away. Much easier than planning a trip to the range. remembering to take ear protection, ammo, cleaning rag. guns etc.