Open 12/15 Martini Action - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:14 PM
1Megaton
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Open 12/15 Martini Action

My 12/15 Martini (1 of 4 that I have) has a problem with the breach block. It will not fully open to clear the breach and allow a round to be inserted into the barrel. The top of the block (the grove where the new round is positioned) sits about 1/8 inch above the bottom of the bore. A new round binds between the barrel and the block as it is pushed forward. To allow the round to be inserted without interference I push the cocking lever forward slightly (against spring pressure) to lower the block.

My other rifles don't have this interference problem. When the breach is open I can place a round on the block and push it into the barrel.

Is there a adjustment to be done? I thought of swapping parts with the other guns to workout the problem but I was looking for an easier solution.

Hope someone has a suggestion. Thanks
Old 02-24-2014, 06:15 AM
gewehrfreund
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (40)
Sounds like someone may have backed off the retaining nut on your mainspring. It may also be that someone did some trigger/sear work that causes the striker/sear engagement to be too far forward.

Perhaps you could drop the trigger/block group out on this rifle and on one that works properly and compare the mainspring compression and sear engagement positions.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:25 PM
Travelor
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Send a message via Yahoo to Travelor
You need to remove the trigger/breech block assembly. Most likely there is something that has fallen down and is blocking the breech block from fully lowering.

Here is a reference: http://www.rifleman.org.uk/BSA_Model_12-15.htm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2014, 01:35 PM
Martiniman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Smile block not low enough

Last time I experienced this was with a 12/25 that had the sear and trigger broken and recut which caused the block to not come down far enough...
Hope this helps you track your problem down.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:12 AM
1Megaton

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Martini PARTS

I checked the nut on the spring part of the system. It looks correct and setting it any other positions cause other problems.

My next thought was what other's have said. That someone has messed with the sear engagement and now the trigger sets before the block is in proper position.

If that is the problem I need new parts or a way to add metal to some part of the sear system..

Anyone have a source of parts? The few UK links don't have much or are only informational. Nothing I can find that is offered for sale.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:46 AM
Keeley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
J&P Custom Products LLC

Try these folks. They may have something or be able to tell you who would. John Knibbs is supposed to be the BSA Martini guru.

T
Old 02-25-2014, 08:15 AM
DoubleD
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Megaton View Post
My 12/15 Martini (1 of 4 that I have) has a problem with the breach block. It will not fully open to clear the breach and allow a round to be inserted into the barrel. The top of the block (the grove where the new round is positioned) sits about 1/8 inch above the bottom of the bore. A new round binds between the barrel and the block as it is pushed forward. To allow the round to be inserted without interference I push the cocking lever forward slightly (against spring pressure) to lower the block.

Hope someone has a suggestion. Thanks
The suggestion is to leave it alone. That is exactly how it is supposed to work. There is nothing wrong your rifle. If you have an extra heavy or over long main spring itu may be littel hard to do this. But there is noting wrong with you gun, it is right!

The rest position of the breech block is a about an 1/8 up blocking the chamber. The round should have to be snapped in the chamber.

Now you other martini's (non-internationals) If the rounds just drops right in the chamber then they may be out of adjustment.

Last edited by DoubleD; 02-25-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:59 AM
Trabzon
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This discussion led me to take my 12/15 out of the safe and work the action. When I swing the lever forward, after approximately one inch of movement, spring pressure takes over and drives the lever the rest of the way forward and the breech block drops down to the loading position. I have never considered this to be anything but normal functioning.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:30 PM
1Megaton

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes But

Ok. Same here but does the bolt partially block the breach when feeding a new round into the chamber? Only one of my BSA Martini's has this problem. If it is a problem.

The other rifles have no interference with the round as it pushed into the chamber.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:39 PM
1Megaton

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
The suggestion is to leave it alone. That is exactly how it is supposed to work. There is nothing wrong your rifle. If you have an extra heavy or over long main spring itu may be littel hard to do this. But there is noting wrong with you gun, it is right!

The rest position of the breech block is a about an 1/8 up blocking the chamber. The round should have to be snapped in the chamber.

Now you other martini's (non-internationals) If the rounds just drops right in the chamber then they may be out of adjustment.
Ok That is good to know. I will check that into it.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:54 PM
1Megaton

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile Load on the main spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabzon View Post
This discussion led me to take my 12/15 out of the safe and work the action. When I swing the lever forward, after approximately one inch of movement, spring pressure takes over and drives the lever the rest of the way forward and the breech block drops down to the loading position. I have never considered this to be anything but normal functioning.
Do you know your gun is in the cocked position? For long term storage that may be a bad idea because it is compressing the firing pin spring.

I Store them uncocked. I unlock them by pulling the trigger with the lever full forward. The lever will move back as the spring pressure is released. Then pull the lever the remaining distance back to the stock. That way I don't dry fire the firing pin onto the chamber and there is minimum spring pressure on the firing pin.

Storing them this way may not mean anything. They are old and hard to find parts should something breaks. It makes me feel better. It's how I get in touch with my liberal side.

Last edited by 1Megaton; 02-25-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:20 PM
Trabzon
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If your last comment is addressed to me, I DO store my 12/15 in the uncocked position by swinging the lever all the way forward then squeezing the trigger.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:26 PM
draton2681
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
same problem

Trazbon, I have a thin wall martini that has a barrel and action from a 12/15. the numbers match except the receiver, apparently a replacement. The gun had a reblue and new barrel liner that had not been fired since completed. I know this because the action was a corroded mess. Once I cleaned and refinished the action and shot it I found that the extractor sits too high. I had to file the top to get the action to close. Now the case cut in the extractor still sits high and a shell will not enter the chamber unless I pull the lever to it's full extention under spring tension. I can then slide the shell in but have to keep thumb pressure against it until clears the breech block. then the action will close. It cams the back of the shell to the top of the chamber with no ill affect. The gun shoots well though accuracy might suffer slightly from it, but still very accurate. It's just an inconvenience to have to load each round as I do. Check your numbers to see if your extractor, action or reveiver may have been changed as well. I'm still trying how figure out how to cut the extractor groove down a bit to correct the problem.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:00 AM
DoubleD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Megaton View Post
Ok. Same here but does the bolt partially block the breach when feeding a new round into the chamber? Only one of my BSA Martini's has this problem. If it is a problem.
This is correct

Quote:
The other rifles have no interference with the round as it pushed into the chamber.
These are worn and could use adjustment
Old 02-26-2014, 05:03 AM
DoubleD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by draton2681 View Post
Trazbon, I have a thin wall martini that has a barrel and action from a 12/15. the numbers match except the receiver, apparently a replacement. The gun had a reblue and new barrel liner that had not been fired since completed. I know this because the action was a corroded mess. Once I cleaned and refinished the action and shot it I found that the extractor sits too high. I had to file the top to get the action to close. Now the case cut in the extractor still sits high and a shell will not enter the chamber unless I pull the lever to it's full extention under spring tension. I can then slide the shell in but have to keep thumb pressure against it until clears the breech block. then the action will close. It cams the back of the shell to the top of the chamber with no ill affect. The gun shoots well though accuracy might suffer slightly from it, but still very accurate. It's just an inconvenience to have to load each round as I do. Check your numbers to see if your extractor, action or reveiver may have been changed as well. I'm still trying how figure out how to cut the extractor groove down a bit to correct the problem.
You have mix and match parts that have not been properly fit to the action.