Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:26 PM
Blacknboostn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cheap Wind Flags

Materials:

3 driveway markers. For those that are not familiar, as I certainly was not, these are 4 foot sections of fiberglass rod approximately .313-314 inches in diameter, with a point on one end and a rubber cap on the other. I have seen them in yellow and orange. They may be found in the signs section of your local hardware store, these were 1.99 apiece.

1 roll of high visibility ribbon/tape. Mine is orange and approximately 1 inch thick. It is lightweight, comes in substantially long rolls, and only 4.99. Mine was found with the caution tape in the tool section.

Finally, small sized binder clips. Bought a dozen or two from Staples for under 5 dollars.

Started with this:

And turned it into this:

If the tape is damaged, I throw it away and pull more off the roll. These were stable enough to require no more than 1.5-2 inches of ground penetration, although more depth couldn't hurt.

These worked WONDERFULLY! I placed them at 15, 25, and 45 yards in line together approximately 1.5-2 feet to the left of my bullet path, to allow for the tape to flap in any direction without any effect to my bullet path.

View from the target back to the shooting station, my dad and I were the only people there until 10:30

Example of what I was able to accomplish:

I numbered the shots. This was towards the end of the day as I spent most of my time just shooting for fun with my dad and working on fundamentals. Wind direction was from 4 o'clock and varied. I watched closely and shot as the wind rose, saw the impacts move left and then watched for the same conditions as my second shot for my 4th and 5th shots.

I am fully convinced that I will likely never shoot without wind flags again. This was shot at 50 yds.

Here is a group where I watched and waited for my predominant wind condition. That last shot was entirely my fault and I don't know what I did but I KNOW I pulled it.

Enjoy your cheap wind flags

-T

Sub MOA or bust!!!
Old 10-14-2013, 07:34 PM
AceGirlsHusband
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like this! Maybe its time I popped over to Lowes or Home Depot.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:54 PM
Recluse
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a wind flag made of a political lawn sign, bent it into a flower pot hanger shape then tied some ribbon on it. Works great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2013, 08:48 PM
Black_Talon

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Is that the LARRC range?
Old 10-14-2013, 10:24 PM
Blacknboostn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Talon View Post
Is that the LARRC range?
This is at Prado Olympic Shooting Park in Chino, CA.

Favorite place to shoot so far even though the benches need some serious work.

-T

Sub MOA or bust!!!
Old 10-15-2013, 09:16 AM
rayjay

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Tractor Supply has fiberglass poles for use with electric fences for livestock. These work great for cheap windflags.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:42 PM
Solamar

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Love the idea and am definitely going to try some! But my range (inland socal) has rock hard ground, would not be easy to pound these into the ground. Any ideas for a simple, appropriately weighted base to make them free standing? Maybe a 6x6 piece of that heavy rubber horse mat? Coffee can and concrete would be overkill...
Old 10-17-2013, 08:59 AM
rayjay

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I use music stands.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:09 AM
OleFreak

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solamar View Post
Love the idea and am definitely going to try some! But my range (inland socal) has rock hard ground, would not be easy to pound these into the ground. Any ideas for a simple, appropriately weighted base to make them free standing? Maybe a 6x6 piece of that heavy rubber horse mat? Coffee can and concrete would be overkill...
A can weighted with stone laying there for the picking smells a lot better than buying concrete.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:08 PM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Seems that TP and scotch tape would suffice.......

Don't think it comes in orange, though...........
Old 10-17-2013, 04:32 PM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I'm glad to see that somebody else uses this setup. Sinclair surveyors tape and fiberglass stake markers. I get a lot of chuckles at the range, but with a little observation and practice they work well, then just throw in the car until the next session. The tape will fade and get some bullet strikes over time, then just tear off another strip and tie it on.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Oldblades
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
I'm too cheap to buy the tape. Just stole the 3/4" red ribbon spool after christmas last year out of mamas wrapping supplies.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:57 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
If you want a really lightweight tape for very subtle shifts you can cut a strip from a WalMart bag. Works good in calm or nearly calm conditions. It will move when the heavier stuff just hangs straight down.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:46 AM
OleFreak

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Deviates from the cheap theme but, does anyone make miniature wind socks geared towards shooters?
Old 10-20-2013, 11:41 AM
Don Stith

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just a suggestion, but if you shoot at more than one location, you will find that you need different height poles. Most ranges are not nice flat fields with the top of bench and bottom of target at same relative heights. Some have dips in the terrain. Some shoot downhill and some uphill. Many matches restrict the flags to being below the line of sight from top of bench to bottom of target frame. On my local range I have to use pole heights that vary from 14 inches to 60 inches.