Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:00 PM
outlinkk
UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
Crosman Mark II,Stripped of it`s Dignity

WEDNESDAY

The UPS guy dropped of this nice prize on my porch today…a Crosman Mark II .177 cal

It was a little scratched up and had some corrosion on the steel parts….it was completely missing the O-ring on the piercing body…no sense even trying to see if it would hold air

I ordered a re-seal kit from MAC1…then disassembled the gun entirely

I’ve been looking at several options for longer barrels and muzzle brakes (LDC`S),but I thought I`d try a few things with the stuff I`ve got on hand……how will it turn out???...maybe good/maybe not…it’s a $100.00 gun, so it’s expendable

The Mark I has those cool muti-colored brown grips …my Mark II has black grips, and they just kind of blend in …so my color scheme will be black and silver (chrome-like)

Aircraft stripper, after 2 applications, then brushed with an old toothbrush

I`ll be getting rid of any mold marks such as this one…400 grit paper, progressing to maybe 800 grit

Now at the 3rd application of stripper

Now ready for the next step

Last edited by outlinkk; 08-29-2013 at 03:12 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:57 AM
bid_doug
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Nice work, I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:56 AM
outlinkk
UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
THURSDAY

Thanks Doug....now that I have a witness,I`ll actually have to get this done

All sanding will be done with wet/dry paper, USED WET

The alloy used to pour/inject/bake this gun is harder than I expected it to be….a good thing !

In order to cut it effectively, I stepped down thru grit sizes until I got to 120 ....on a couple of the higher ridges I went to 80 grit

A few close-ups of the mating surfaces I`m getting rid of….the black paint that resisted chemical removal is now serving to point out many spots of rough castings

And because patience is a virtue I barely use …..here are a couple instant gratification shots

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2013, 11:02 AM
bid_doug
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My only problem with it is everytime I see a thread like this I'm thinking "Man that's SWEET!!! I gotta do that." or "I gota get me one of those." and then one more potential project gets added to the list in the back of my mind, not to mention my list of things to spend $$$ on.:
Old 08-29-2013, 01:18 PM
outlinkk
UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bid_doug View Post
My only problem with it is everytime I see a thread like this I'm thinking "Man that's SWEET!!! I gotta do that." or "I gota get me one of those." and then one more potential project gets added to the list in the back of my mind, not to mention my list of things to spend $$$ on.:
Me TOOOOOOO .......as an impulse control device,RFC is sorely lacking
Old 08-29-2013, 02:12 PM
outlinkk
UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
THURSDAY

At this stage,all the flashings have been removed…some areas have been sanded to 400 grit....the gun`s been buffed with black compound which will reveal all the scratches and scuffs…..more sanding will follow...and maybe a new band-aid

Old 08-29-2013, 07:59 PM
wolfspotter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a 22 cal MKI fairly cheap because the owner couldn't get it to hold a charge. Has the older lever piercer style cap and power adjustment screw under the barrel. My dad had the correct hard O rings on hand and works as good as new.

I re-painted with black Krylon but wasn't happy with it, felt sticky in hot weather.

Have to keep an eye on your results and see if I can do the same. Keep up the good work
Old 08-29-2013, 08:02 PM
outlinkk
UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfspotter View Post
I bought a 22 cal MKI fairly cheap because the owner couldn't get it to hold a charge. Has the older lever piercer style cap and power adjustment screw under the barrel.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........yours has the 2 features I just WISH mine had.....lucky dog !!!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:07 PM
tnpaw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looking forward to see what you come up with as far as a Shroud or LDC! Looking good! I think it will be Sweet, when you are finished!......tnpaw
Old 08-29-2013, 09:53 PM
webster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is looking sweet, man! Gonna keep an eye on this thread.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:32 AM
outlinkk
UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpaw View Post
Looking forward to see what you come up with as far as a Shroud or LDC! Looking good! I think it will be Sweet, when you are finished!......tnpaw
Thanks tnpaw.....your discussions of LCD`s in other threads here,almost had me pushing the button on one....but with this recent purchase,and another Crosman on order,I`m tapped out ...I`m really gonna try to complete this gun with just what I`ve got on hand here (and the new seal kit)....unless,of course,September is national LCD month....in that case I`d be powerless to resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
That is looking sweet, man! Gonna keep an eye on this thread.
Thanks webster.....I hope to finish the polishing today or tomorrow...then it`s on to a little paint and a good sealer wax
Old 08-30-2013, 09:43 AM
bid_doug
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlinkk View Post
...but with this recent purchase,and another Crosman on order,I`m tapped out ..
I know the feeling. Been trying to save up for a new pistol or rifle and eveytime I get a few $$$ stashed away something pops up so at the moment I'm concentrating my $$$ on finishing my 10/22. Just got the barrel threaded by Que and dropping the stock off for dipping this weekend.

But back to your project, how's the metal holding up to polishing? I don't know what kind of metal the frame is made of, any problems with tarnishing or rusting?

Thank, nice work!
Old 08-30-2013, 10:15 AM
outlinkk
UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
FRIDAY

it sounds like your improvement dollars are being well spent

"But back to your project, how's the metal holding up to polishing? I don't know what kind of metal the frame is made of, any problems with tarnishing or rusting?"

I think it`s made of Aluminum Flavor Pudding

it will oxidize if left untreated....this can be brought back to a high gloss by a light hand polishing using Mother`s Mag Wax (MMW)....but I believe that a corrosion barrier can be applied...a few good candidates are Eezox,Renaissance wax,or an overshooting of clear lacquer

I`m going to try using some Carnauba wax...got a block of it a few days ago

I`m going put off polishing today to do some work today on the parts that will be painted black...this ought`a tie in the grips and give some nice contrast...and one more color will join the mix,copper leaf

Last edited by outlinkk; 08-30-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:28 PM
outlinkk
UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
FRIDAY

Here`s the labor of an hour and 15 minutes.....good thing I work cheap

I used Cratex style discs for most of the rough shaping here…these are impregnated with an abrasive….they can make an irreversible mess of your work/if you wanna give `em a try,Practice Practice Practice

Through use, the diameter of these discs will slowly decrease…..to force this re-sizing,or to true an edge,a file can be used….the file won`t care for it AT ALL…note the divots in the file

Here`s why it`s worth it

I had intended to finish this trigger guard in black but now I`ve decided to leave it in the white….I polished it so it`ll blend with the frame and barrel sleeve

polished with black, followed by white compound…final hand polished with MMW….since this part is steel, it`ll be wiped down with Eezox
, allowed to dry 24hrs, then buffed with clean cotton…I expect this to keep it from rusting for about a year

Last edited by outlinkk; 08-30-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:03 PM
outlinkk
UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
FRIDAY

The Mac1 seal kit got here today…..awesome <48 hour turnaround time on that !!

Aside from that, everything took longer than expected (as I expected it would )

What gave me the most trouble was trying to diss-assemble the piercing knob assy

Trying to drive out the retainer pin bent 2 punches into “S” shapes….a cut-off 3/32 drill bit shank faired no better….a drill press and vise also failed to do the job

At one time the entire piercing assy went for $5.20…when I finish this project, I’m gonna change the oil on my time machine, and go get a new one

I cleaned up the firing pin and a few other parts with a fiber wheel….some of the worked parts are Eezoxed and hanging to dry…the ones that will provide contrast to the “chrome” got a couple coats of Duplicolor Gloss Black Ceramic 500

Time to hydrate.....