S&W M&P15-22 pic thread - Page 6 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:32 PM
TT92
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmr13 View Post
I don't think I posted this in this thread, but I think it's worth another post if I did.

I had to stop watching the video after he showed the targets. That level of IN-accuracy SUCKS!! Please tell me that's not typical for a 15-22??

I shoot and recently begun instructing at Appleseeds. Gotta say, most of the folks who bring 15-22's to 'Seeds are not very experienced, and so while they do show improvement over the weekend of instruction and shooting I have yet to see one qualify as Rifleman with a 15-22. Of course, I'm sure some are out there who have. But the level of accuracy Nutnfancy achieved (rather, DIDN'T achieve) would never allow even a gifted shooter to qualify Rifleman.

I mean, geesh, he's showing two-inch (and larger) groups at 25 yards from a benchrest?? And 3"- 4" groups at 50 yards!! Then he speculates the rifle could do 4 MOA at 100? Brother, that 3.75-inch group at 50 yards is 7.5 MOA. And we all know 22's don't typically have a linear cone of dispersion from 50 yards out to 100 yards...

I would like to think the rifle is capable of 1" groups at 25 yards, consistently, regardless of sighting system used. That would satisfy me and be sufficient for my purposes. (For comparison, the vast majority of off-the-shelf 10/22's can shoot around 2 MOA at 25 and 50 yards with no modifications whatsoever.)

All that said, it is a decent review, and the 15-22 is definitely cool (and some of the pics posted here are flat-out AWESOME). Would be a fun rifle to practice 3-gun and to use for close range tactical training/practice. However, even regular 3-gun matches often involve shots out to 200-300 yards, and I just don't know if this platform will muster the needed accuracy to give meaningful practice on a correspondingly reduced target.

Another thought occured to me: do you folks know if anybody is using 15-22's successfully in the tactical class of CMP rimfire matches? Curious what they have done to get better accuracy.

I have a 15-22 on my list of potential purchases. Somebody please tell me these things shoot better than shown in the video!
Old 05-25-2015, 12:36 AM
cmr13
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT92 View Post
I had to stop watching the video after he showed the targets. That level of IN-accuracy SUCKS!! Please tell me that's not typical for a 15-22??

I shoot and recently begun instructing at Appleseeds. Gotta say, most of the folks who bring 15-22's to 'Seeds are not very experienced, and so while they do show improvement over the weekend of instruction and shooting I have yet to see one qualify as Rifleman with a 15-22. Of course, I'm sure some are out there who have. But the level of accuracy Nutnfancy achieved (rather, DIDN'T achieve) would never allow even a gifted shooter to qualify Rifleman.

I mean, geesh, he's showing two-inch (and larger) groups at 25 yards from a benchrest?? And 3"- 4" groups at 50 yards!! Then he speculates the rifle could do 4 MOA at 100? Brother, that 3.75-inch group at 50 yards is 7.5 MOA. And we all know 22's don't typically have a linear cone of dispersion from 50 yards out to 100 yards...

I would like to think the rifle is capable of 1" groups at 25 yards, consistently, regardless of sighting system used. That would satisfy me and be sufficient for my purposes. (For comparison, the vast majority of off-the-shelf 10/22's can shoot around 2 MOA at 25 and 50 yards with no modifications whatsoever.)

All that said, it is a decent review, and the 15-22 is definitely cool (and some of the pics posted here are flat-out AWESOME). Would be a fun rifle to practice 3-gun and to use for close range tactical training/practice. However, even regular 3-gun matches often involve shots out to 200-300 yards, and I just don't know if this platform will muster the needed accuracy to give meaningful practice on a correspondingly reduced target.

Another thought occured to me: do you folks know if anybody is using 15-22's successfully in the tactical class of CMP rimfire matches? Curious what they have done to get better accuracy.

I have a 15-22 on my list of potential purchases. Somebody please tell me these things shoot better than shown in the video!
It may have been just that rifle (or 2? I can't remember if he had 2 or not) or maybe Nutn' just didn't do well with it for whatever reason. Hope someone else here can get you a better answer. I don't have personal experience with the 15-22.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:16 AM
photoracer
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The 15-22 is 2-3 MOA at best. That is plenty good enough for NSSF Rimfire Challenge or Steel Challenge where speed potential is more important than utmost accuracy. And it is plenty accurate enough for plinking and the occasional pest eradication. But you would never want to pick one as a rifle to get down to 1 MOA with. Steel barrel mounted and tightened down into a polymer receiver is not a recipe for 1 MOA accuracy. AR's might have polymer lowers but they don't have polymer upper receivers for a reason. There are a few things (mostly theoretical in nature) that can improve accuracy but even I have not done a truly impartial review of those mods to see if they really work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2015, 09:09 AM
TT92
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoracer View Post
The 15-22 is 2-3 MOA at best. That is plenty good enough for NSSF Rimfire Challenge or Steel Challenge where speed potential is more important than utmost accuracy. And it is plenty accurate enough for plinking and the occasional pest eradication. But you would never want to pick one as a rifle to get down to 1 MOA with. Steel barrel mounted and tightened down into a polymer receiver is not a recipe for 1 MOA accuracy. AR's might have polymer lowers but they don't have polymer upper receivers for a reason. There are a few things (mostly theoretical in nature) that can improve accuracy but even I have not done a truly impartial review of those mods to see if they really work.

Thanks for that feedback, Photoracer. Considering that nutnfancy seemed thrilled with his 8 MOA groups I was a little freaked out. My personal standard of 1 inch at 25 yards is still only 4 MOA, but that's a big difference.

Didn't mean to sidetrack this thread with an accuracy discussion, but I hold tightly to Jack O'Connor's notion that "only accurate rifles are interesting."

Best Regards,
TT
Old 05-27-2015, 11:23 PM
Studentofthegun
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Thanks for that feedback, Photoracer. Considering that nutnfancy seemed thrilled with his 8 MOA groups I was a little freaked out. My personal standard of 1 inch at 25 yards is still only 4 MOA, but that's a big difference.

Didn't mean to sidetrack this thread with an accuracy discussion, but I hold tightly to Jack O'Connor's notion that "only accurate rifles are interesting."

Best Regards,
TT
I also subscribe to the notion that accurate rifles are interesting. That's why I own so many CZs.

But I also own a S&W 15-22 for 2-gun rimfire steel challenge. It has served me well, as it is plenty accurate for the distances and targets we shoot in those competitions. My 15-22 also hasn't had any malfunctions, which is really important in those matches.

I also like to shoot sporter benchrest and precision matches. For me, it's simply a matter of having different tools for different jobs.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:44 PM
photoracer

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:

Best Regards,
TT
In this case that is not true. The 15-22 is likely the funnest .22 rifle ever made. I can't count the times people on the S&W have bought one and let their kids or SO shoot it and found out they have appropriated it as their own and poor guy had to buy another one for himself. S&W can hardly make them fast enough. Once they started adding the pink and purple camo versions for the ladies it got even worse. It makes a splendid speed steel rifle right out of the box with just a $10 trigger spring change. Or you can go whole hog and buy a serious 3-gun AR trigger to drop in, change the handguard to an exotic carbon fiber AR one, change the stock. Some people buy them and within weeks they start looking like something even a mall ninja would run from by putting every conceivable AR accessory on. Some have safes full of 10/22s that seldom get used afterwards. Being able to shoot lots of ammo with a rifle that is as 100% reliable as any rimfire can be right out of the box is pretty cool for a lot of shooters and non-shooters.
Another saying that is prevalent among shooters is "once you have shot steel, shooting paper becomes boring (some like to say the same as watching paint dry)". In fact shooting steel at up to 600 yards in 3-gun is more fun that making hits with my .308 at 1000 yards. I like having both skills but one gives satisfaction while the other gives pleasure.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:02 PM
TT92

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoracer View Post
In this case that is not true. The 15-22 is likely the funnest .22 rifle ever made. I can't count the times people on the S&W have bought one and let their kids or SO shoot it and found out they have appropriated it as their own and poor guy had to buy another one for himself. S&W can hardly make them fast enough. Once they started adding the pink and purple camo versions for the ladies it got even worse. It makes a splendid speed steel rifle right out of the box with just a $10 trigger spring change. Or you can go whole hog and buy a serious 3-gun AR trigger to drop in, change the handguard to an exotic carbon fiber AR one, change the stock. Some people buy them and within weeks they start looking like something even a mall ninja would run from by putting every conceivable AR accessory on. Some have safes full of 10/22s that seldom get used afterwards. Being able to shoot lots of ammo with a rifle that is as 100% reliable as any rimfire can be right out of the box is pretty cool for a lot of shooters and non-shooters.
Another saying that is prevalent among shooters is "once you have shot steel, shooting paper becomes boring (some like to say the same as watching paint dry)". In fact shooting steel at up to 600 yards in 3-gun is more fun that making hits with my .308 at 1000 yards. I like having both skills but one gives satisfaction while the other gives pleasure.

Great post. Nicely said. And thanks for being an enabler, now I reckon I oughta start saving cash for a 15-22!
Old 05-29-2015, 09:23 PM
Revvv

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You guys have me wishing I had gone with an AR platform instead of the Henry Golden Boy. Anyone want to trade :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2015, 01:34 AM
HDHNTER
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Old 05-31-2015, 08:43 AM
9x19

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
Wow!

A picture in the pic thread?!

Looks like a really nice rig.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:41 PM
photoracer

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
You guys have me wishing I had gone with an AR platform instead of the Henry Golden Boy. Anyone want to trade :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not me, I have a Browning BL-22 levergun also.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:27 PM
MrCoffee

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigione View Post

Here is a picture of my MP 15-22. Purple! Tried different ammo and the CCI is fine, when I am steady. I cannot really change anything due to the type of competition I shoot in. This has been a real learning experience for me, but enjoying the process.
I just got me one of those, in the same purple platinum. It was the last one they had in stock, so I wonder if it's a limited production. It's a nice gun, and I'm looking forward to taking it out to the range. Just because I'm a guy, doesn't mean I have to go all black!
Old 06-29-2015, 09:12 PM
Monkeyzero

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Ignore the knife. I laid it down to take the picture while breaking down some boxes.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:13 PM
TightPlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One More Rendering

M&P 15-22 A1 modified/accessorized with:
Magpul MOE stock + enhanced and ladder rail panels, cheapo Simmons scope in Burris PEPR knock-off cantilevered mount, FAB Defense rear flip-up sight and CAA pistol grip + magwell grip + forward vertical grip. Maybe and just maybe, the scope will be replaced with either a Nikon P-22 or a Bushnell AR/22. Then it will definitely be finished. Promise.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by TightPlinker; 07-01-2015 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:49 PM
photoracer

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyzero View Post

Ignore the knife. I laid it down to take the picture while breaking down some boxes.
Nice setup but you need to get the front ring of the scope off the handguard. The handguard flexes a lot and if you put any pressure on the stock like shooting off a rest it will throw the POI of the scope off. The scope will actually reduce the flex some mounted that way but it won't eliminate it.