Old 07-30-2015, 02:20 AM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmont View Post
DrGunner:

As a new rimfire participant (perhaps addict would be more descriptive), I really appreciate all the effort you put into sharing these great ideas.
Very well done.
Tom
Tom- Thanks!!! PM me your shipping addy and I will send you a free set (minus the brush puller, I'm all out of them right now). I will send you a few of the Patchsnake button pullers, a Jagsnake, and a brass Gunner finger loop chamber brush and mop.

Welcome to RFC!!!

Sincerely,

DrGunner
Old 08-02-2015, 07:19 PM
tmont
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post
Tom- Thanks!!! PM me your shipping addy and I will send you a free set (minus the brush puller, I'm all out of them right now). I will send you a few of the Patchsnake button pullers, a Jagsnake, and a brass Gunner finger loop chamber brush and mop.

Welcome to RFC!!!

Sincerely,

DrGunner

That would be great.
I surely did not expect that, I was simply saying thanks for sharing your great ideas.
Tom
Old 08-03-2015, 01:38 AM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmont View Post
That would be great.
I surely did not expect that, I was simply saying thanks for sharing your great ideas.
Tom
No problem. I will get them out some time this week-
Enjoy, and share any feedback/suggestions.

Always open to ways to improve them.

Regards,

DrGunner
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2015, 03:49 PM
gunsmither
RFC Sponsor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good source for 3/16" diameter brass rod

Great tutorial Dr.G! You can get 6 foot pieces of brass from Enco, and cut them up to length for your great tools. Many times they have free shipping too. Right now they have a deal going for free shipping with just a $29 purchase. Brass in on sale too! Enter free shipping Promo Code: AUG29 | Offer Ends 8/31/15.

Brass link -

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMPI

UNIQUE gunsmithing tools and accessories for 10/22's, MkII's, S&W
Old 08-04-2015, 10:32 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmither View Post
Great tutorial Dr.G! You can get 6 foot pieces of brass from Enco, and cut them up to length for your great tools. Many times they have free shipping too. Right now they have a deal going for free shipping with just a $29 purchase. Brass in on sale too! Enter free shipping Promo Code: AUG29 | Offer Ends 8/31/15.

Brass link -

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMPI
That's high praise coming from you, the Original inventor of all the best 10-22 gadgets! I use my Gunsmither tools often!

Thanks for the link for the brass, that will be a much cheaper route!

Regards,

DrGunner
Old 08-05-2015, 04:05 AM
sunkmail

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gonna give it a try ....

Thanks for all the great info here.

I'm going to give it a go myself, once I get all the pieces gathered - I'm a new shooter, so I'm still figuring out what I want/need.

Cheers!
Old 08-08-2015, 12:05 AM
hankh
US Coast Guard Disabled American Veteran

1/2 way betweem Hatch & TorC N.M. ... really.
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dr. Gunner, Howdy;

Thanks for the PMs. Just completed reading this entire thread plus the side-trip
for the muzzle guide. This has been bookmarked for future reference.
Living in an RV has it's drawbacks and kindly offered gifts are greatly appreciated.

hank
Old 09-05-2015, 05:44 PM
M4Strider

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi Gunnar, have you ever tried putting one of the VFG felt pellets on the Patchsnake line and using that rather than a regular cotton patch?

I personally use them on a rod but I think it would work just as well in a pull through setup.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:24 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Strider View Post
Hi Gunnar, have you ever tried putting one of the VFG felt pellets on the Patchsnake line and using that rather than a regular cotton patch?

I personally use them on a rod but I think it would work just as well in a pull through setup.
Yes, I have- and it's difficult. The trimmer line has to be thick enough to support a good size button through thousands of pulls. The trick is getting a hole drilled in the center of the felt pellet just so, to prevent it splitting. It's also tough because the volume of material in the line expands the pellet for a super tight fit in the bore- often too tight.

Truth is, when the button is made to the right size, a flannel patch creates a very tight fit with an audible squeegee action. I usually have 2 button pullers made specifically for each rifle- one loose, one very tight. The diameter of the button is usually .200-.210. No two barrels are the same, and a button that's tight in one bore might be loose in others.

The pellets sound like a good idea, but in actual practical use, they're more trouble than the benefit they provide. You will waste many by the hole tearing through the side of the felt. If you go with lighter line, the button won't last- especially when exposed to the high tension created by a felt pellet.

Trust me, a flannel patch on a .210" button does a darn good job, cleaning better than a boresnake in fewer passes.

By all means, please do experiment with pellets, and report any pertinent info here-

DrGunner
Old 09-05-2015, 06:49 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Strider View Post

I just had a thought... The VFG pellets are designed for use on their proprietary thread in jag... It would likely be feasible to cut the threads off of a jag, drill it, chamfer it, and affix a line. That setup might work very well...

DrGunner
Old 09-06-2015, 01:11 PM
M4Strider

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post
Yes, I have- and it's difficult. The trimmer line has to be thick enough to support a good size button through thousands of pulls. The trick is getting a hole drilled in the center of the felt pellet just so, to prevent it splitting. It's also tough because the volume of material in the line expands the pellet for a super tight fit in the bore- often too tight.

Truth is, when the button is made to the right size, a flannel patch creates a very tight fit with an audible squeegee action. I usually have 2 button pullers made specifically for each rifle- one loose, one very tight. The diameter of the button is usually .200-.210. No two barrels are the same, and a button that's tight in one bore might be loose in others.

The pellets sound like a good idea, but in actual practical use, they're more trouble than the benefit they provide. You will waste many by the hole tearing through the side of the felt. If you go with lighter line, the button won't last- especially when exposed to the high tension created by a felt pellet.

Trust me, a flannel patch on a .210" button does a darn good job, cleaning better than a boresnake in fewer passes.

By all means, please do experiment with pellets, and report any pertinent info here-

DrGunner
Unfortunately I don't have one of your tools but I can see what you mean when you say the line would expand the pellet as it's passed through
Old 01-07-2016, 04:34 AM
Racer X
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
96% (24)
If you purchase a ParchWorm from our forum sponsor, they sell them with the felt buttons, or you can by them separately That tells me the VFG pellets should work fine. http://patchworm.com/patches-felts.html
Old 08-17-2016, 02:55 PM
goodoldfriend
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am very late to the party but wanted to say thanks for the great article!

Now I need to get my workshop cleaned up.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:37 PM
Texcam

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dr. Gunner
Thanks for taking the time to create such a detailed post. Great Idea!
Old 07-27-2017, 02:07 PM
OCD
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Has anyone made or "invented" a limited breech pull through brush?

For pistols like the Ruger Mk series, Browning Buckmark etc??

The Otis limited breech brush (with small threads) on their 177 cal wire doesn't even fit!

I called them and they are phasing that out and may be making one that will work?

I would rather make my own. I have the trimmer line and can pull patches but would like a brush also.

Any ideas?