Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:36 PM
ditto1958
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Frontier vs. H001

Those of you who have multiple Henry 22's, which one is your favorite to shoot? I have an H001, and it's my favorite 22 to shoot. I have my eye on a Frontier, and I'm wondering, if I get it, will I like it better then the H001?
Old 04-26-2013, 09:48 PM
dakight
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I only have the H001 but I think it would be hard to beat for it's light weight, smooth action, easy handling and accuracy. Unless you get into higher powered cartridges anything added in the other models is largely cosmetic. In theory the octagonal barrel is more rigid but I seriously doubt that you would ever see the difference in a rimfire rifle. In case you haven't guessed, I really like my Henry H001.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:58 PM
azimuth

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I think the longer sight radius and finer front sight bead also aid in accuracy on the octagon models. My H001 is one of the older models with the plastic front sight and the blade is pretty wide. Great for plinking, but doesn't really allow precision work like the bead sight IMHO. I'm not sure what the front sight is like on the newer H001's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2013, 10:56 PM
NY Marksman
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I have a H001 as well as a H001M and although The 001 is a fine rifle I really like the Magnum version more. If I have the chance to get another Henry lever action it will be one of the Frontiers in a .17 caliber
Old 04-26-2013, 11:57 PM
Squirrelhunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azimuth View Post
I think the longer sight radius and finer front sight bead also aid in accuracy on the octagon models. My H001 is one of the older models with the plastic front sight and the blade is pretty wide. Great for plinking, but doesn't really allow precision work like the bead sight IMHO. I'm not sure what the front sight is like on the newer H001's.

The standard H001 is a slightly trimmer, faster handling rifle, but the added heft of the Frontier's octagon barrel steadies better offhand. In my experience, the H001T is also more accurate, at least with me behind the trigger

The octagon guns, in addition to being more nicely finished, have superior sights that lend themselves to easy upgrading or replacement; I was astonished at how accurate my 'T became when I replaced the Marble's rear blade with a home-made aperture one Regular H001 sights, though far nicer than they once were, just aren't as precise or versatile - that said, they are faster on target and fit well with the gun.

I have not fired a Golden Boy, but am one of those folks who find the comb of the stock TOO traditional and have difficulty lining up the sights when handling them. One thing I have noticed though, is that the GB, for whatever reason, seems to balance slightly better in my hands than the Frontier, and feels less muzzle heavy, even though both guns have the same barrels, at least in .22 LR configuration Something else to ponder I suppose

If I had to pick one as my favorite, it would hands down be the Frontier, as it shot so well for me. I still think it is probably the best overall value in the Henry lineup; but if I were making the long forays into the squirrel woods that I once did, I think a standard H001 with a peep rear and a HiViz front would be a lighter, more agreeable gun to carry. For that matter, the one AR7 I got to play with seemed fairly accurate and was fun to shoot also, although it may be a bit TOO light for consistent offhand accuracy at any great distance.

Kind Regards,

~SH~

Last edited by Squirrelhunter; 04-27-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:11 AM
Squirrelhunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Marksman View Post
I have a H001 as well as a H001M and although The 001 is a fine rifle I really like the Magnum version more. If I have the chance to get another Henry lever action it will be one of the Frontiers in a .17 caliber
I hear that...a .17 HMR 'T would be something to behold for sure It would cost far more to shoot than I could likely afford, but I have no doubt it would be a ball to shoot, not to mention really stretching the limit with iron sights I have never liked the way a tang sight sits on the grip of a lever gun, but I bet it would be worth a try on something like that for sure

Kind Regards,

~SH~
Old 04-27-2013, 09:44 AM
Pet-Rock

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The deciding factor for me was the front sight being easily replaceable on the H001T. It doesn't hurt that the octagon barrel is a stiffer and looks amazing either
Old 04-27-2013, 10:13 AM
BCRider

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Henry "collection" is limited to an H001 and a Golden Boy. They are both nice to shoot but if I were packing in the woods it would be the H001 every time. The lighter weight and the way the rifle balances with my hand around the receiver makes the decision a slam dunk.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:57 AM
whichfinger

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelhunter View Post

The standard H001 is a slightly trimmer, faster handling rifle, but the added heft of the Frontier's octagon barrel steadies better offhand. In my experience, the H001T is also more accurate, at least with me behind the trigger

If I had to pick one as my favorite, it would hands down be the Frontier ....
I have an H001T and an H001M. I can't say one is more accurate than the other, but the T is my favorite for plinking because ammo is cheaper and the heavier barrel helps me with a steadier hold. My son has used the M on prairie dogs, and he said it turned them inside out.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:23 PM
ArmyScout
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto1958 View Post
Those of you who have multiple Henry 22's, which one is your favorite to shoot? I have an H001, and it's my favorite 22 to shoot. I have my eye on a Frontier, and I'm wondering, if I get it, will I like it better then the H001?
It's strictly a personal matter, there is no way we can tell you whether you will like it better or not.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:35 AM
Pete44ru
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
86% (9)
Yes, it IS a personal choice/matter.

FWIW, my first Henry was an H001 Standard, which I peeped & happily used for a year or two; before all the raving on RFC over the H001T Octagon Frontier made me curious about them.

When I ran across a like-new/used Frontier in LR for $250, I snapped it up. The Frontier was a pretty suckah, too..........

I put FO sights on the Frontier, and shot them side-by-side for a few range sessions before taking the Frontier out hunting.

After a full year/season, I sold the H001T Octagon Frontier because there was no practical difference in the accuracy between the two at hunting distances, and the H001 Standard was much handier in the woods.

I am curious no more, and much prefer the Standard for most shooting.

YMMV, of course.............................

Last edited by Pete44ru; 04-28-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:03 PM
SquirrelPilot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds like an honest assessment was made, Pete.

I have the Frontier in .22lr. I like it, but women and kids tend to find it barrel-heavy. I think maybe a standard H001 in .22lr would be better all-around - certainly better for new shooters, and definitely better to carry all day - along with a Frontier model in .22 Magnum, just because.