Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-26-2004, 02:44 AM
sygyzy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to sygyzy
What is the best way to attach coins to targets?

I have seen pictures where people have shot out a quarter with a 22LR. I tried a penny and quarter last weekend and didn't really have a problem shooting them.

However, I secured it with masking tape and this wasn't very effective. When I went to retrieve the coin off the paper, it was nowhere to be found.

I even tried 5 to 6 layers of tape in a crisscross fashion but this didn't help either.

How do you guys do it?

Defacing US currency is Illegal.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:35 AM
Jay
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Jay Send a message via Yahoo to Jay
drive a nail in the wood, so that the head of the nail captures the edge of the coin. Screws would work too.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:58 AM
REDTIP17

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
TAPE Target needs to be on a wooden backstop. You have to have something the coin can't go thru... Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2004, 10:29 AM
edgecobra

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just put the coin on a wooden backstop and use a staplegun to put staples around the edges of the coin, so that the staple is actually partly on the coin. My brother and I did this with pennies and they stayed there every time. It might not work for nickels or quarters though.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:54 AM
KillJoy

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Hot Glue

KillJoy
Old 01-26-2004, 11:18 AM
sygyzy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to sygyzy
Thanks everyone for your replies. I think my mistake was definitely that the coins were being pushed through.

I guess I might have upset a moderator with my question since they added that nice red text to my message.

I should add that nobody should deface US currency. I have copper and nickel foreign currency that I have been using. I just didn't know what to call them, so I used terms more familiar to us Americans.

Thanks again!
Old 01-26-2004, 11:18 AM
ice
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Small dab of super glue gell.
________
LovelyWendie99

Last edited by ice; 05-10-2011 at 07:22 AM.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:23 AM
KillJoy

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I do not see how defacing currency is illegal.

Have you ever been to an amusement park, or zoo of some kind where there are those penny squishing machines.

You put in 2 quarters and 1 penny, turn the crank, and out comes a flattened penny w/ a picture embossed on it.

If it is illegal, how can this be done?

Just my thought.

KillJoy
Old 01-26-2004, 11:29 AM
Jay

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've seen belt buckles made from silver dollars, and many other types of things made from coins. TV ads tout scissors that will cut pennies. Just how picky are things gonna get?

the red text above is really a bit much.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:02 PM
iamjacob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by KillJoy
I do not see how defacing currency is illegal.

Have you ever been to an amusement park, or zoo of some kind where there are those penny squishing machines.

You put in 2 quarters and 1 penny, turn the crank, and out comes a flattened penny w/ a picture embossed on it.

If it is illegal, how can this be done?

Just my thought.

KillJoy
The machines you are talking about have a permit actually on the machine that allows them to do so.

If I remember right it's not just a little illegal, it's a fellony.

Jake
Old 01-26-2004, 03:20 PM
RonSC
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
IRONIC....

..just thinkin' out loud , you can WALK, URINATE ON and BURN the US FLAG.... (LEAGALY)....B U T ...it's a felony to deface a coin...My how far we've come as a ' civilization'....a sad commentary ...

Ron
Old 01-26-2004, 03:27 PM
SSDan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've edited nmy response after reading through the information on teh US Treasury site offered up by Jay. I still believe the one dollar bill is the smallest unit of money that is "legal tender". This is why legal contracts that must facilitate the change of ownership of property with minimal cost attached to the transaction use "one dollar".

Paper money is currency, coins are not. Coins have become a convenient way to split currency when changed in less than whole increments.

But it looks like there are US Statute provisions that prohibit us from mutilating or defacing coins, legal tender or not.

Dan (I stand corrected)
Old 01-26-2004, 03:46 PM
Jay

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I claim no legal expertise at all, but this is from the US Treasury web site, and I'm guessing that the use of the word "fraudulently" is the key here. I think we can shoot holes in the coins, but we can't alter them with fraud as the intent.

http://www.treas.gov/education/faq/c...IMAGE.Y=10#q11

What is the definition of mutilated coins? Is it illegal for people to use coins to make jewelry, souveniers or other items?

This question is addressed by 331, U.S.C. 18, which provides penalties for the mutilation of our coins. These penalties consist of not more than $2,000 or imprisonment of not more than five years, or both. This section generally applies to anyone who "fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates, impairs, diminishes, falsifies, scales, or lightens" any coins circulating in the United States. It also addresses anyone who "fraudulently possesses, passes, utters, publishes, or sells . . . or brings into the United States, any such coin." If you believe you know of such fraud, you should contact your local office of the United States Secret Service, which is responsible for investigating such cases.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:49 PM
ftstinyc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Buy a roll of two way carpet tape. Stick a strip on the wood and
peel off the top layer. Then stick as many coins to it as you want.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:54 PM
Hook

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think that you can do anything you want with the money.
After all, it's yours.
The unlawful part comes in when you try to spend that money. Or put it back into circulation.

Why not try shooting thumb tacks?

Hook