New Project!: Making A Brass 10/22 Receiver From Scratch - Page 53 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #781  
Old 08-26-2013, 10:30 AM
rugerdude
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2006
Location: 
Stillmore, Georgia
Posts: 
771
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)


Log in to see fewer ads
That rifle is a perfect example of functional artwork! Just unreal.

The overall look is truly stunning and I am really, really looking forward to seeing it once you have polished the brass and done the final finishing on the stock!
Reply With Quote
  #782  
Old 08-26-2013, 10:42 AM
jcrowleyiv's Avatar
jcrowleyiv
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

Join Date: 
May 2012
Location: 
20 Clicks NW of Dallas, Texas
Posts: 
2,703
TPC Rating: 
100% (83)
TBR -

I want to once again thank you for allowing us to live vicariously through this build with you!!! It has been a similar path as to watching a baby grow up before our eyes. I think a large part of the popularity (aside from it being so uniquely awesome) is that you have brought all of us along, step-by-step, throughout the process. As DrGunner is fond of saying, you have made this project "inclusive" to the readership - and for that we thank you.

At the risk of contradiction, you have undertaken a very exclusive project and by your communication you have included the masses. Bravo to all of your efforts.

John
__________________
Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is mystery.
Today is a gift from God -
That is why it is called "the present".

Last edited by jcrowleyiv; 08-26-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #783  
Old 08-26-2013, 12:25 PM
Markbo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

Join Date: 
Mar 2003
Location: 
Houston
Posts: 
10,700
TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
TBR, think of that stylized hammer on the smoke pole. You can change the bolt handle to fit in better. It does look out of place. Something made out of aluminum with the right style & maintain the right weight. Anodized to look the part.

All the superlatives I can think of have been used. Most many times. I just want to thank you for the ride. We usually just see a few before pics and then the 'trophy' after pics. You have allowed all of use to be a part of the entire process whether we are capable or not. I pride myself on being handy. But being handy is not the same thing as being skilled.

I was a woodshop guy. I was one of those guys the others looked to for help and creative ideas. I have always regretted not being a metal shop guy too. But only so many hours & and there were some classes I was required to take.

I believe that you have been an inspiration. My hope is that you have inspired someone to do something that they would not have tried otherwise. Not as advanced as yours, but if one RFCer does something that they think they couldn't do... then you have inspired. I don't think you planned your project with that as the outcome, but I for one see that as one of them. You have payed it forward. As your shop teacher did for you, you have done for us.

And for that... I thank you.
Mark
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #784  
Old 08-26-2013, 03:45 PM
Evernevermore's Avatar
Evernevermore

Join Date: 
Feb 2013
Location: 
Pennsylvania
Posts: 
304
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
TBR - I love how you have little things you need to focus on while everyone else is busy drooling and peaking their jaws off the floor/keyboard.

Everyone else - this is the kind of rifle that needs to be in magazine. To paraphrase Star Wars, "its a weapon of a past age, more refined and elegant than a crude blaster"
Reply With Quote
  #785  
Old 08-26-2013, 10:33 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT's Avatar
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

Join Date: 
Jun 2009
Posts: 
5,405
TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I Don't Know Whether To Cry Or Jump For Joy

Before I sand and polish the topcoat on the stock, I'd planned to get to the range and test the Kidd barrel, as promised. I'll start with the problems. I got the Kidd Ultraweight installed without incident, although it was pretty tight, but the Kidd barrel is about .200" shorter than the VQ. Not really a problem, but if I shorten my brass fore end cap by that amount, I'll lose my little schnabel. Sinking the cap deeper in the stock would mean sanding the whole stock down below the dye and starting all over, so, I'm not doing that. On the positive side, the rifle shed a full 1 lbs 8 oz with the Kidd barrel installed, and the handling is now like a wispy wand:



Also, the Kidd trigger would not function when I checked it. It appears the entire trigger body is moving way more in the housing than it should, and the sear just would not break, so it's going back to Kidd tomorrow. I was told they thought my trigger had left the factory without any thread locker, so maybe everything has become completely out of adjustment. Fortunately the VQ just dropped right in, so I left for the range.

Here are a few gratuitous pics at the range with the steel bolt and funky VQ trigger:



So, I started with the .22 LR bolt and shot the rifle for the first time in that configuration. The group out in the white, shot at 25 yards, is the first five shots out of the new, unseasoned barrel!!! The rest of the groups were about the same:


Functioning was flawless, so after about 50 rounds of Wolf, I swapped the steel bolt out for the aluminum one to shoot some .22 Short groups with the Kidd barrel:





With the Kidd barrel, then, the rifle shoots about as well as the shorts-specific Volquartsen barrel:




At this point, I just don't know what the heck to do. As badly as I want the rifle to be a .22 Short, there's just no comparison with the .22 LR. On the other hand, is it worth losing the schnabel to keep the Kidd barrel on there permanently? I'm really going to have to think this one over.

TBR

Last edited by TEDDY BEAR RAT; 08-20-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #786  
Old 08-26-2013, 11:33 PM
PGT's Avatar
PGT

Join Date: 
Jan 2010
Location: 
Leesburg, VA
Posts: 
984
TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
call me crazy, but, make another forend cap that's shortened by the appropriate amount to fit the 16.25" Kidd; easiest way to keep it pure. You could have ordered a threaded Kidd which would have added the length you need (not that you'd need the threads of course with an FS length).
Reply With Quote
  #787  
Old 08-26-2013, 11:51 PM
DrGunner's Avatar
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

Moderator
Join Date: 
Jan 2012
Location: 
Somewhere in the Middle
Posts: 
10,474
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGT View Post
call me crazy, but, make another forend cap that's shortened by the appropriate amount to fit the 16.25" Kidd; easiest way to keep it pure. You could have ordered a threaded Kidd which would have added the length you need (not that you'd need the threads of course with an FS length).
That makes ALL KINDS OF SENSE!!!!!!!

My vote was for the .22LR configuration a while ago, just because I knew it would shoot so much better. Pretty ain't pretty if you're out with your shooting buddies and miss an easy shot!

Or, just LEAVE the current brass foreend AS IS, it creates an inherent crown protector.

Either way, I think it LOOKS BETTER with the black barrel, especially if you redo the paint in gold or bronze dust.

BTW, TBR- I have to say, the way you have asked for input at every step of this has been a really unique way to build it- I think we ALL feel a connection with this rifle as our input has been lovingly made real in your skilled hands.

Thanks!

DrGunner

Last edited by DrGunner; 08-27-2013 at 02:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #788  
Old 08-26-2013, 11:51 PM
Evernevermore's Avatar
Evernevermore

Join Date: 
Feb 2013
Location: 
Pennsylvania
Posts: 
304
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Make it a LR and EVERYONE will want it. Or you could always make another receiver for your really for sure Shorts only gun
Reply With Quote
  #789  
Old 08-27-2013, 02:51 AM
bbmf1

Join Date: 
Dec 2007
Posts: 
30
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Re Muzzel cap

G'day from Downunder .

G'day All , looking at the end of the brass cap I think if you bevelled it in to meet the barrel in a rolled edged fashion and polished it , it would make it look more traditional and solve the problem of the barrel looking a little short whilst keeping the mini shnabel on it .
I have been following this build from the start and I think we should nominate this as the build of the decade in a tribute to the master craftsman TBR who has carried us with him on this build of a lifetime .

Regards Paul .
Reply With Quote
  #790  
Old 08-27-2013, 03:31 AM
natman's Avatar
natman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jul 2002
Posts: 
3,321
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
How about lengthening the barrel by having the front sight mount extend past the end?

It sure looks nice with the black barrel.

Last edited by natman; 08-27-2013 at 03:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #791  
Old 08-27-2013, 08:41 AM
grodzewicz's Avatar
grodzewicz

Join Date: 
Oct 2012
Location: 
Michigan
Posts: 
4
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmf1 View Post
G'day from Downunder .

G'day All , looking at the end of the brass cap I think if you bevelled it in to meet the barrel in a rolled edged fashion and polished it , it would make it look more traditional and solve the problem of the barrel looking a little short whilst keeping the mini shnabel on it .
I have been following this build from the start and I think we should nominate this as the build of the decade in a tribute to the master craftsman TBR who has carried us with him on this build of a lifetime .

Regards Paul .
I agree with this opposed to having two different end caps. With all the fitting you did if you didn't machine the second cap exactly as the first exists now you would have one that never fits quite right. Big thumbs up to painting the barrel with brass colored paint for cohesiveness.
Reply With Quote
  #792  
Old 08-27-2013, 08:51 AM
Pappy's Avatar
Pappy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Moderator
Join Date: 
Apr 2011
Location: 
Republic of TEXAS
Posts: 
1,618
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
Before I sand and polish the topcoat on the stock, I'd planned to get to the range and test the Kidd barrel, as promised. I'll start with the problems. I got the Kidd Ultraweight installed without incident, although it was pretty tight, but the Kidd barrel is about .200" shorter than the VQ. Not really a problem, but if I shorten my brass fore end cap by that amount, I'll lose my little schnabel. Sinking the cap deeper in the stock would mean sanding the whole stock down below the dye and starting all over, so, I'm not doing that. On the positive side, the rifle shed a full 1 lbs 8 oz with the Kidd barrel installed, and the handling is now like a wispy wand:



Also, the Kidd trigger would not function when I checked it. It appears the entire trigger body is moving way more in the housing than it should, and the sear just would not break, so it's going back to Kidd tomorrow. I was told they thought my trigger had left the factory without any thread locker, so maybe everything has become completely out of adjustment. Fortunately the VQ just dropped right in, so I left for the range.

Here are a few gratuitous pics at the range with the steel bolt and funky VQ trigger:



So, I started with the .22 LR bolt and shot the rifle for the first time in that configuration. The group out in the white, shot at 25 yards, is the first five shots out of the new, unseasoned barrel!!! The rest of the groups were about the same:


Functioning was flawless, so after about 50 rounds of Wolf, I swapped the steel bolt out for the aluminum one to shoot some .22 Short groups with the Kidd barrel:





With the Kidd barrel, then, the rifle shoots about as well as the shorts-specific Volquartsen barrel:




At this point, I just don't know what the heck to do. As badly as I want the rifle to be a .22 Short, there's just no comparison with the .22 LR. On the other hand, is it worth losing the schnabel to keep the Kidd barrel on there permanently? I'm really going to have to think this one over.

TBR
TBR, your most recent pics are not showing up on my PC. It appears you have exceeded your bandwidth as per the info boxes I see...
__________________
I miss America....

Sent from my keyboard using Hunt-n-Tap.
Reply With Quote
  #793  
Old 08-27-2013, 10:09 AM
TEDDY BEAR RAT's Avatar
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

Join Date: 
Jun 2009
Posts: 
5,405
TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
My daughter bulk downloaded a bunch of pictures of her kids into my account, and now I apparently don't have the necessary bandwidth. Deleting pictures in Photobucket is a real pain, but I'll see what I can do. The above pics showed up last night, and nothing has changed since then, so, I dunno.

Anyway, I did find a way to make the current end cap work without losing the schnabel. I decided to remove material from the back of the brass cap itself, which will move back the schnabel front commensurately. This will require drilling another hole and nut countersink in the stock, but that will all be hidden by the cap. Doing so will also result in the hole in the brass cap being closer to the rear edge, but I think it will look alright...certainly better than the cap projecting forward of the muzzle.

The bigger problem now is the fact that the Kidd barrel is about .050" smaller in diameter than the VQ, so the NECG banded front sight ramp is way too loose, and the ramp portion is floating above the barrel in a very unsightly manner:



A simple concentric sleeve would solve the fit of the band itself, but a sleeve would also have to have a "tail" to fill the gap between the bottom of the ramp and the top of the barrel. I suppose I could just use an unbanded ramp, but my brass nose cap is already fitted for the band, so no band would leave an ugly gap. Short of making an entire banded sight ramp from scratch, I don't see any other way out of this one.

On the positive side, the Kidd trigger is winging its way back to McQueeney, Texas, and I should have it back within a week.

TBR

Last edited by TEDDY BEAR RAT; 08-27-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #794  
Old 08-27-2013, 10:43 AM
PGT's Avatar
PGT

Join Date: 
Jan 2010
Location: 
Leesburg, VA
Posts: 
984
TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I have the same .085-.920 gap on my barrel and Nodak banded sight. Furrowing out the brass to match the contour might work but the ID is still wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #795  
Old 08-27-2013, 11:07 AM
TEDDY BEAR RAT's Avatar
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

Join Date: 
Jun 2009
Posts: 
5,405
TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
For $125, I could buy the next-size-smaller NECG banded ramp, which is .866" ID, but the fitted brass nose cap would then have a gap, since the OD of the smaller band would also be smaller.

TBR
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 AM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x