Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:04 PM
fast14riot
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New toy! 1322!

After putting it off for the last couple years, I got the Sunday ad for Big 5 and they had the Crosman 1322 on sale for $59.99. I figured why not, I've always wanted one and now that the seals in my MKI have gone out I needed another .22 air pistol.

I've run a few rounds down the barrel last night at the rats in my almond tree, but now I am already planning on mods. I want to keep it a pistol, and keep iron sights. I plan to use it for plinking, hunting, and an accurate gun is always a must. I know what mods are possible, but I do wonder what I should consider to be the order of mods being done?

I see many people going to the steel breech, but I want to keep it open sights. Who makes a steel (or any metal) breech with an option for iron sights? I guess a new barrel band would be needed as well?

Should I go for performance first? FT piston/valve and trigger work? Transfer port mods? Are there any advantages of a steel breech besides mounting an optical sight? Longer bolt probe, is it worth it?

I have a well stocked workshop and do all my own gun work to an extent, but I don't have a lathe. I can do much of the work, but don't know what parts I should buy from who and what work should be sourced out. Also, I read the "Green" forum and many other sites but last thing I need is to be on another forum as a member.

-Xander
Old 10-23-2012, 12:57 AM
Fancypicker
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I'm a big fan of the plain old Crosman steel breech The bolt probe that comes with the kit is longer and has a better seal than the stock bolt probe IMO :
http://www.crosman.com/gear/custom/2240SBPK

Then you could mount an LPA MIM fully adjustable rear sight :
http://www.crosman.com/gear/custom/2300-010

As far as trigger work goes ... try this easy little trick to get the trigger like you want it. I use it on all my non adjustable trigger pull Crosmans.

Take off one or both of the grip panels.
Remove the spring from the inside.
Slide a washer on to a phillips screwdriver, then slide the spring on.
Use another washer to compress the spring a bit and replace it in the gun.

If you get the trigger pull too light, just stretch the spring back out.
Hope this helps some.

Here's a video of my one of modded Crosman 2240s (which is basically the CO2 version of the 1322) with the steel breech and LPA sight as well as some wood grips made by Ralph Brown.

Straight shootin'
Old 10-23-2012, 02:22 PM
T191032

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Agree with the Crosman Breech, but would add (personal preference here?) the Williams full-adjustable Notch or Aperture rear sights like found on the 2300S model,

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Air_Ve...3_8_Mount/3978

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Crosma...3_8_Mount/2008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 03:40 PM
Fancypicker

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
+1 on the Williams sight. Very good sight as well.
You might want to find a way to change the front sight with a Williams, as the stock front sight on the 1322 is too fat for use with the Williams'.

My 2300S: (Note how much thinner the front sight post is on the muzzle break than a stock 1322)
Old 10-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Fancypicker

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
May as well toss a pic of my 1322 in.
Fun little guns and very east to mod. Mine's set up as a carbine at the moment.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:47 PM
fast14riot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanx for the advice guys! Some darn good lookin guns too!

This morning before work I decided to really sight it in, the other shooting I did the past couple days was just plinking. Well it was shooting 1.5" high at 10 yards with the rear blade maxed out! So I took the blade off and extended the slot a bit and now it was only 3/4" high. I took th whole rear sight base off and put some 180# paper on a surface plate and sanded it down. Remounted and it is just about where I want it.

I also was fed up with the horrendous trigger! Mine was as smooth as asphalt, and felt like 6lbs! I pulled it apart, polished all mating surfaces to 2000 grit, did the spring trick mentioned above, but also turned down a 1/4" brass rod to fit inside the spring and domed the end to ride against the sear. It added just enough length to th now shorter spring to give me about a 20oz pull with a clean break! My group size tightened up nicely, even with the junky Crosman pointed pellets. I have a couple tins of RWS pellets I use in my MK I that I will try next.

Thas 5 shots (group #3 is why the "3" is written there), off hand at 10 yards. Trigger work done, and rear sight done. I will definetly check out the Williams rear sight, which one is it, #54? I am considering making my own to fit the plastic breech, either from bronze or aluminum. Switching the front to a round post will be easy, I may make my own barrel band too. Grips and fore end are a must as well!

This gun is a blast! Best $60 I've spent this month! I'm gonna buy aother one for my dad so he can keep his trigger finger in good shape between hunting trips.

-Xander
Old 10-23-2012, 09:33 PM
Fancypicker

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Looks like you have things well under control.
Very nice shooting!
Old 10-23-2012, 10:21 PM
fast14riot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancypicker View Post
Looks like you have things well under control.
Very nice shooting!
Thanx! I shot PPC growing up, a Junior shooting Open Class in the local tournaments, got a few podium finishes too. Been many years since I did any serious pistol shooting though, nice to know I can still get lucky once in a while!

I checked for the crosman steel breech and they are out of stock, and the only one I could find was on flea-bay for $49.99 + $7 shipping, almost twice the Crosman price! It wasn't a custom either, just the standard factory model. Also, Crosman notes the MIM rear sight as not for sale. I don't want to spend the money on a williams right now, but need somethin better than the junker on there now. I guess I'll start drawing and measuring tonight to fab up my own. Maybe do a long probe bolt as well. Sure is a sweet little shooter!

Will the long probe bolt be a worthwhile mod with no other power or flow mods yet? I may polish out the crown as well to eliminate that variable. Just looking for low cost mods right now.

Any ideas, comments or more pics is always appreciated!

-Xander
Old 10-26-2012, 12:50 AM
fast14riot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got my rear sight done! Its a functional mock up right now, I may have a nice one machined later. It sure is nice being able to hold a better sight picture, my groups tightened up even more and are right where I want them. Still need to adjust a touch of windage, but elevation is right.

Widage is adjusted by the rear breech screw that also holds the sight on. It sits in a slot in the sight body like the stock sight. I also replaced the slotted screw with a stainless pan head hex screw.

Elevation is adjusted by a set screw in the sight body, accessed through a hole in the sight blade. Back the screw out to raise the rear sight, bringing shot placement up. The breech screw is also accessed through the sight blade.

The slot in the blade is smaller than the stock, giving a finer alignment window, tightening up groups and misalignmet.

And the proof is on the paper! Group sizes dropped, and group placement is better! 5 shots, off hand, 10 yards iron sights. Fits inside of a penny! This is with cheap crosman pointed pellets, I still haven't run match grade or weight sorted pellets through it yet!

The rats don't stand a chance now!

-Xander
Old 10-28-2012, 12:40 PM
natoround

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Steel Breech is a must do. I have it on 2 of my 3 13XX guns. The 3rd is still in the package so it can wait until the 1322 breech is back in stock. I need the proper bolt in my other 1322 since it has the same Breech as a 1377 but the bolt is different. I orderd one from Mellon but thats a waiting game so... I wish upgrades were availible quicker and from more sources.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:45 PM
fast14riot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah, a steel breech, or any aftermarket breech, is on my short list. I am still looking for one that can use the stock rear sight, I don't like being limited to a williams or the unavailable LPA MIM sight. Which is why I built my own. Even an aluminum breech would be nice. I've heard that Mellon is 5-6 weeks out right now and he also just took some vacation days. I don't have a problem waiting that long for custom work, some of my custom knives take over a year, and some makers have a waiting list of multiple years to even place an order!

I found a tutorial on modifying the stock bolt for the long probe, which I might do. I'm interested in taking this thing as far as possible without buying parts. Just to see what its capable of!

-Xander
Old 10-28-2012, 10:02 PM
farrlarr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I don't know if you are aware of him or not, but you did mention changing the grips and I highly recommend Ralph Brown at rbgrips.net. Excellent quality, fit and finish at a very reasonable price.

"A man has to know his limitations."
Old 10-29-2012, 06:55 PM
natoround

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You know there has to be some sights made for other guns that could be used. Something like Ruger 10 22 that has lots of aftermarket options may be usable on a 13XX. If it fits a weaver groove on the breech its worth a look. I may get weak enough and well funded enough to pop for a Williams sight but that is higher than the original gun so....
Old 10-30-2012, 12:50 AM
Fancypicker

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Nice job on the rear sight, and great shooting ... love my Crosmans.
All of mine are quite accurate with cheap Crosman pointed field pellets as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrlarr View Post
I don't know if you are aware of him or not, but you did mention changing the grips and I highly recommend Ralph Brown at rbgrips.net. Excellent quality, fit and finish at a very reasonable price.

The pump arm, stock insert on my 1322 and the grips on the 2300s in my pics are from Ralph. As you can see ... I'm a big fan of his work.

Crosman custom shop guns (except for the 2240 and 2300s) :

1377 and a 2240 I modded :

Last edited by Fancypicker; 10-30-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:07 AM
DarryH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One thing not mentioned: get a trigger shoe. They are inexpensive, and easy to install.
While they do NOT lighten the actual trigger pull, they do spread out the contact surface are of the finger. This makes the trigger pull FEEL much lighter.
Have fun.
DarryH