YooHoo....got 3 different mags to work with Belgian Browning pistols - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:55 AM
Deaconblue
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)

A quick follow up to my question about whether a TripleK mag for a Woodsman would work in a Belgian.... The answer is not in mine.. at least not yet. Got it in about half way and it got tight just like everything else I tried so far. I guess I will have to go back into surgery. I took some pics to show you- it may be the same mag that they sell for the Belgian Brownings and may be why they are so reluctant to make any changes. To add insult to injury it doesn't want to go into my Woodsman either (too tight) so I guess they are at least consistant in that regard LOL. I also picked up an older Woodsman mag off of Gunbroker with the metal follower to try. This one has a little twist. The entire follower is made from aluminum instead of the steel ones I've seen thus far. Here are the pics. [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-16-2012, 09:09 AM
IPSC

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The TripleK's for Woodsman look a lot like the M296 model they make for Belgian Brownings.

The TripleK I used for Belgian Brownings were modified as follows, using your excellent pictures as a guide--->

- the topside mag "lips" ...on the forward portion of the mag....are "pinch-waisted", unlike the factory mags that go straight forward. I modified them to be straight as factory.

- Notce that (arghh...frustratingly !!)...the TripleK follower is the same width front-to-back. Too wide to pass thru the rear (curved) mag lips, should you ever disassemble the mag. Look at your top-view pic. This mag has a fixed floorplate, so if you ever want to take it apart for a proper cleaning...or to replace a weakened mag spring....you CAN'T. In contrast, the Belgian Browning mag, also a fixed floorplate design... has a narrow follower that properly allows the follower to be removed from the top, once the hold-down button is removed. I bent the lips ( gently !!!....only a small amount !!!) on the TripleK's... removed the follower.... and then filed down the rear-half of the follower to a narrower width....and reassembled (also then bent down the mag lips). Now....whenever we want to clean or repair the mag, we never again have to bend the mag lips...it was done only this one-time for the mod.

- one TripleK had a too-weak spring to reliably activate the slide hold-open device, the other was OK. I had to modify the spring to make it stonger. I bought some Colt Woodman mag springs, and some Ruger 22/45 mag springs in the hopes to add a better quality spring...but both did not fit the rather narrow TripleK mag body...another Arghh.

Last edited by IPSC; 02-16-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:02 PM
IPSC

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
hey Remnar....hope you're reading this.....

Just tried your idea of using a Challenger ll mag( the one with the notched lower/rear..as your photos show)....in a Challenger 1.

Correct...it fits and locks in....

HOWEVER.....what keeps the mag from sliding up EVEN MORE ?????, after the heel-clip engages ?????...

The baseplate sticking out the bottom of a Belgian Challenger is not so much a problem as it might instead be considered an eyesore. But place your finger on the bottom, and push up...and the mag is driven upwards even more.... so the top of the mag is higher than the upper part of the chamber !!!.

Ever notice this ??? It's because the hanging-down baseplate has no bearing surface on top to limit upward travel.

Looks like the Cll mag will require some kind of plastic sleeve to be installed...maybe only a 3/8" tall unit....to be slipped down over the baseplate. Then the mag has something to bear against (the sleeve and then the gun frame)...to prevent the mag from travelling up the spout even more.....

Last edited by IPSC; 03-19-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 09:40 PM
remnar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
IPSC,

That is an interesting observation. I did not try pushing up on the mag, and as I stated I did not try actually using the mag in my Challenger I. I was curious because someone else said that they read somewhere that it would work. There was also a comment about how the mag was sticking out below the mag well. I was simply testing to see what it would look like, and if the mag would go in without issue. I don't really have a need or desire to test any further. Thanks for the info. I'm sure there are others that find this just as interesting we do, now if only someone will risk their Challenger with a real test.

-remnar

Disclaimer: Use inappropriate mags in your pistols at your own risk.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:57 PM
IPSC

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I won't mind "risking" this as a test in my Cl....... I already modded Colt Cadet mags ( thanks for the idea, M2HB), Beretta Neos, and Colt Woodsman mags...as well as tuned a few TripleK's to work. What's the risk if you look closely and go slow in your mods ??

Just surprised to see you have gotten that far....with pics nonetheless...and then THIS shows up ( no upward limit to mag insertion !!).
Old 03-19-2012, 10:05 PM
remnar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPSC View Post
I won't mind "risking" this as a test in my Cl....... I already modded Colt Cadet mags ( thanks for the idea, M2HB), Beretta Neos, and Colt Woodsman mags...as well as tuned a few TripleK's to work. What's the risk if you look closely and go slow in your mods ??

Just surprised to see you have gotten that far....with pics nonetheless...and then THIS shows up ( no upward limit to mag insertion !!).
Here's to you.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:15 PM
IPSC

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Just another "Challenge" (pardon the pun).....to get this good-looking Browning Cll mag to work and not slide up the grip too much. The mag lips of Cll look mighty sturdy compared to all other non-standard options like Cadet and Neos. That said.....I like the Neos and Cadet mags the best so far in smooth operation, stainless construction and removable baseplate for cleaning.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:44 PM
Deaconblue

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Just a quick note - I tried my modded Woodsman mag with the plastic follower last week when I went shooting. I ran three or four mags worth and it went without a hitch. I wanted to try it out before I tried doing the the three Cadet mags. On mine I just sanded the two sides, the back edges (no filler strip), the point of the heel, the button head, and the hump off the follower. Then I went over the sanded metal with the wire wheel to smooth everything out. Took about thirty minutes. Now all I have to do is touch up the blue which won't be needed with the stainless ones....
Old 03-20-2012, 08:02 AM
IPSC

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Deaconblue....good deal.

When you do the Colt Cadet or Beretta Neos.....don't forget:

- the follower "topside" needs to be smooth front-to-back...remove the "hump". Otherwise, for some reason, this contributes to picking up 2 rounds out of the mag as we near the end ( wants to pick up round 9 and 10). Removing the hump completely eliminates this tendency.

- the backside "edge" of the follower has a sharp corner on the top/backside. Some guys here have reported that the last round fired ( first one loaded) hangs up its rim behind this edge...and the round cannot be pushed forward with finger pressure. Not to worry, this is how the standard Cadet mag works, but to aid in this "problem" ( not really a problem,as the gun works)...I also rounded the backside top edge a bit, with a 30 degree forward sloping rolled edge. A small file takes care of this.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:13 PM
bill22R

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just started following this thread.I recently acquired a Challenger II,and like everyone else was having trouble finding magazines.I did do the modification,to a Buckmark mag,and it seems to work just fine,with a little fine-tuning.I also was lucky enough to find one of the Triple-K mags,@Brownells.com,that wasn't out of stock,and tried it for function this morning.I fired maybe a 100 rounds or so,thru all 3,and none of them failed to feed or fire.In fact I seem to like the modded Buckmark mag the best of all of them,because of the little extra bulk,at the base.Kinda like one of those bumper pads, people add to their 1911 mags.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:41 PM
gmcttr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I recently bought a 1969 Belgium Browning Challenger and was disappointed that the photos showing modded magazines in this thread are no longer available.

After figuring out the required modifications for Beretta Neos mags (JMU22), I though I would post photos that might help others.

IMG_0858 (Medium)noted.jpg IMG_0861 (Medium)noted.jpg IMG_0873 (Medium)noted.jpg
Old 01-22-2018, 08:59 PM
IPSC

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
gmcttr.... thank you for doing what you did to post these photos. Nice job detailing the text that was presented earlier....it now makes the text so much more useful after the lousy actions from Photobucket that killed the original photos.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:48 PM
landmancpl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Exclamation Pictures not working

Please re-post the pictured referenced in the thread about adjustment of the Beretta Neos magazine to fit a Browning Challenger 1
Old 04-02-2018, 02:06 PM
IPSC

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
landmancpl.....

I have literally hundreds of web forum photos I need to update, it will take some time to recover from the Photobucket debacle.

But to help you out, member "gmcttr" posted his own later photos which cover just about everything you need to know to modify the Neos mags. Posts directly above, with pics....post #41.

Old 04-02-2018, 02:14 PM
landmancpl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks!!!! ... that's a great help. Looks like all it takes is some grinding.

Is the NEOS clip still the closest to the original Challenger 1 clip?