Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:35 AM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

My friend Mike the gunsmith (40calcritter) is really good with files and I bet he could make one from scratch in 1/2 hour to 45 minutes depending on if I helped. It would take longer if I helped!!

That is the difference between a gunsmith and a guy that replaces parts.

EDIT: Using the 1" belt sander/grinder would probably cut the time way down. Get some 1095 or similar steel and it would be really simple to harden when you are done too. Heat up to cherry read and drop in some old motor oil. Clean off scale and you have a very hard extractor that was easy to work before hardening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 04-16-2013, 08:32 PM
tbarile

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm looking at buying this TC Classic but discovered this site and the issue with the extractor. the guy I'm purchasing the gun from has never shot it so he doesn't know if it has any issue. I had him send me a pic and it looks like the extractor is hitting. Is there too much damage? Will the modification still work? Should I stay away from this gun? Thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

It says I don't have permission to post pics!! How can i fix this?
Old 04-17-2013, 12:23 AM
mjrsfj40

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Buy the rifle. Mine had a small chip brand new in the shop, as it had been cycled many times for lookers. Did the extractor mod and accuracy is phenomenal! Fix, shoot it, enjoy! My .02.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 08:32 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarile View Post
I'm looking at buying this TC Classic but discovered this site and the issue with the extractor. the guy I'm purchasing the gun from has never shot it so he doesn't know if it has any issue. I had him send me a pic and it looks like the extractor is hitting. Is there too much damage? Will the modification still work? Should I stay away from this gun? Thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

It says I don't have permission to post pics!! How can i fix this?
you have to be Supporter to host your own pictures but it is a pain. I have been here since 2004, am a Supporter and a Moderator and I still choose to do the same way that is best for some one making their first post

Alech did a great job on this tutorial. First you have to go join Photobucket. Then:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=488100

He also did one for a place called Imgur:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=495002

I have never used Imgur so naturally I suggest Photobucket and that is what probably 98% of people here use

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 04-21-2013, 12:14 PM
Featherman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I hope the original poster visits on a regular basis. The intstruction do not shot how to remove the sliding mechanisn. As noob, can you please explain how to remove the "bolt" for me to get to the extractor?

I don't see any pins or additinal screws that would allow me to remove.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:41 PM
Tbag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Once you get the action out of the stock, and remove the 4 screws, this allows you to separate the parts and the bolt slides out as you pull the charging handle back a bit. Once you get it apart you will see how it drops out.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:33 PM
shawn1885

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I thought I had read a while ago that TC was fixing these now instead of keeping them and offering a different gun in its place? Can we send them back to have them fix it? I have my dads classic that has a shiny spot but not a chip. I would like to have this fixed just have not sent it back yet.

Can anyone clear this up?
Old 04-22-2013, 06:56 PM
Featherman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn1885 View Post
I thought I had read a while ago that TC was fixing these now instead of keeping them and offering a different gun in its place? Can we send them back to have them fix it? I have my dads classic that has a shiny spot but not a chip. I would like to have this fixed just have not sent it back yet.

Can anyone clear this up?
I'm a noob with the TCs but my research as well as reading the posts on Rimfire indicate the gun has been discontinued and you run the risk of not getting the gun back if you send it in.

I fixed mine in less than an hour, once i figured out how to remove the bolt. I viewed the ejector with a magnifying glass and its amazing how a little metal can cause some major headaches.

Its a very simply home remedy as described in this stickie.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:04 PM
TRG3

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Back in March, I purchased a TC Classic off this website and just sat it in a corner, knowing that I'd have to perform the chip preventative in due time. That time came today and, after taking the extractor out of the bolt at least eight times and removing a little bit each time, I slowly came to realize that it would be necessary to file away most of the end of the extractor to prevent it from touching the shiny spot on the barrel. At that point, I decided to leave well enough alone and just shoot the rifle, accepting whatever results came from that decision. Besides, I can't find anywhere in my search on this subject that should the dreaded chip develop that it is detrimental and/or dangerous. I would appreciate anyone with experience shooting a TC with a barrel chip to chime in on what effect this has on either accuracy or safety. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:10 AM
Rustedbolt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I took the extractor to a machine shop and was told that it would cost about$150.00 to make a copy of it. 2 hours @ $50.00 per hour and $50.00 to have it hardened. I hate to ruin the original one. I'm not giving up the Classic 22...
Old 08-13-2013, 11:05 AM
Rustedbolt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey Guy's, I'm thinking about trying my hand at making an extractor for the Classic 22. I don't know if the extractor is hardened or not. I was looking at a sawsall blade and it seemed real close to the thickness of the extractor. I thought about trying to use the blade for the extractor material. Think it will work? Tell me what I should do to make one.... Help guy's... Thank's. Rustedbolt
Old 09-05-2013, 09:12 AM
ssmith

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hmm, sounds like a great idea. I might try that. Using the original as a template before actually filling on the original. Now, where did I put that caliper and dremel tool?

Last edited by ssmith; 09-05-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Bob513

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
2 classic's and a R55

One was chipped when I bought it for a c note due to the damage. I just carefully notched/relieved the spot with a needle file, and it shoots excellent. All I have done with the other 2 is shoot the heck out of them. Most accurate semi auto I have ever owned.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:27 PM
brushboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had #21812 in my safe for ten years or so now (it seems) Can't have more than 200-300 rounds through it. This is the first time I've been on to learn of this issue. I'm sad to say after checking it out this evening that I have a fairly good sized chip already. Will fix the cause this weekend, but what can I expect for effects of this? Could safety of the rifle be in any way impacted, or just potentially accuracy?
Old 12-08-2013, 01:20 PM
josey88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have been reading this thread and I believe something is not quite right , or I have not understood the procedure described here .
The extractor`s function is to extract , so when the bolt closes on the chamber the extractor slides inside the chamber`s hole following the contour of the hole which opens out a little , and when the rd is fired and the bolt is push back , the extractor`s claw slides back along with the bolt and retracting to close and grab the rim of the rd and eject it .
It seems to me that if the extractor is reduced or shortened so it would not touch the chamber , it will be too short and will no function at all or very sporadically .
The extractor has to slide inside the chamber`s opening , consecuently it has to touch the face of the chamber . Now, having said that , the extractor can be polished a little at the outside top edge so it will slide in easier .
I also noticed that on this Benchmark (at least , in mine) the extractor claw has a very slight twist to one side , don`t remember which side now , so the claw would grab the rim more efficiently .
What I did on my Benchmark was just that ... I took the extractor out and polished (not reduced it) the top edge so it will slide better when touching the chamber , and then I assembled it .
When you insert the bolt with the extractor assembled and close it manually to check its function , you will hear a small , soft click ... that is the extractor touching and sliding inside the chamber`s hole . That is the correct way to have the extractor on the gun and all guns , for that matter.

Last edited by josey88; 12-08-2013 at 02:13 PM.