Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:55 AM
Alittlekid
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Norinco ATD 22 any good?

At the gun show last weekend I saw a couple Chinese Norinco Semi Auto ATD .22 rifles.
I am wondering if anybody can share some experience with one of these.
One seller told me they were made on the Browning patent (whatever that means). He also said they are every bit as good as the Browning semi-auto .22.
Can this be true? Is there a $200 replica that is every bit as good as a Browning?
Old 10-04-2011, 06:40 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alittlekid View Post
At the gun show last weekend I saw a couple Chinese Norinco Semi Auto ATD .22 rifles.
I am wondering if anybody can share some experience with one of these.
One seller told me they were made on the Browning patent (whatever that means). He also said they are every bit as good as the Browning semi-auto .22.
Can this be true? Is there a $200 replica that is every bit as good as a Browning?
They look like a Browning and work like a Browning but do not hold up like a Browning in the experience of those I know who own them. They are cheap Chinese knockoffs, simple as that.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:24 AM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Is there a $200 replica that is every bit as good as a Browning?
My short answer would be "No." My long answer is here.

Enjoy!
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Alittlekid

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you for the replies,
dbuffington, did you sell your rifle? just curious.
I made an offer on the nicer rifle that I saw at the show, it looked unfired, but had a small crack in the wood.
I didn't bring it home. But I keep thinking it would be a great backpacking/truck gun. don't have to worry about beating the snot out of one of these.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:15 PM
scottycoyote

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
i got one of these awhile back, and while ive never owned or fired the browning version, i think its a pretty decent little rifle for the money. I like how it breaks down, i also think it would make a great backpacking/survival gun. Only problem i have with these is i forget about the bottom ejection sometimes lol, also its hard to get a scope mounted....they make the hardware for them but ive heard sometimes you have to do some drilling.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:29 PM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Thank you for the replies,
dbuffington, did you sell your rifle?
Yes. And I should point out that it's not unusual for top-of-the-line, NIB, Belgian-made SA-22s to sell for thousands of dollars, it's also not unusual to find Grade I, slightly worn, Japanese-made SA-22 for $500, occasionally less.

Granted, that's still $150-200 more than you'll pay for an equivalent Norinco, but it's not a ridiculous gap.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:01 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Having a bunch of Belgian ATDs for most of my life,I don't think I could own a crude knockoff with perhaps a parts supply problem.
That said,in the lower price backpack gun category,the Marlin Papoose has always had some appeal.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Mike1957
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought mine new at Walmat for $89 years ago. If you are expecting it to be a Browning, you will be disappointed. It`s not in the same class as a Browning auto.
That said, I`m not unhappy with the little rifle. Fit and finish are not what you would expect from Browning, but better than you would expect on a cheapie.
Accuracy is good, not great, but good enough for plinking and popping bunny rabbits.
Works ok. Eats any LR ammo I`ve tried in it. Mag tube was a bit rough on the outside. Needed a little polishing to move as freely as it should. Took about 15 minutes.
Front sight needed knocked over a bit to shoot to point of aim.
For the price, it`s a pretty good little rifle. But it`s not a Browning.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:01 AM
outlinkk
UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)

just putting in my 2 cents (barrels )worth.....

Mike1957 sums it up nicely "For the price, it`s a pretty good little rifle. But it`s not a Browning"
Old 10-15-2011, 10:27 AM
Seamus

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought one that'd only had a couple of hundred rounds through it (according to the original owner) a few years back for $35. Price was so cheap because one of the fingers on the extractor was broken. The guy hadn't even tried to sort out the why; he just dismissed it as "Chinese junk" and got rid of it.

Turned out that he'd probably never even read the manual (such as it was) or cleaned it either. The reason the extractor broke was that there was so much accumulated crud in back of it that it couldn't pivot anymore, so it pretty much beat itself to death.

I ordered the Browning replacement part from Brownell's (about $9.00, IIRC) and a new spring expecting to have to do some fiddling to make them work. Dropped right in, and functioned perfectly. It's continued to do so for several thousand rounds now.

A Browning, it ain't. But it does make for a superb little knockabout/utility/fun RF with most of the same virtues for a very affordable price.

Slightly Off-topic P.S.:

As I had so little cash invested in it, I used mine as the base for a little project. I removed the crude open rear sight and replaced it with a Marble's folding leaf. It took some judicious fitting, but it worked out nicely. I also had the receiver drilled and tapped for a Lyman 66 receiver sight I had on hand.

Replacing the stock front sight with a taller FO bead proved to be sort of a PITA. The dovetail cut is grossly oversized from the nominal 3/8" standard, so I had to resort to some 'Bubba" tactics in order to get it done without incurring a semi-major infusion of cash in the process. Fabricating a shim from a scrap of mild steel and some J-B Weld might not be an elegant solution, but it has held up very well so far and doesn't detract from the esthetics too badly. BTW, the receiver sight and a Marble's FO bead make a huge difference in the field, for me anyway.

It's been an extremely handy, useful, reliable and quite surprisingly accurate little rifle. And with no potential "collector" value to consider, I don't have any qualms about making it more personally compatible or dragging it around through the woods and fields shooting the whee! out of it.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:16 AM
JAF0

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oldie but Goodie

I know this is an old thread but I, too, have an opinion.

I own a Colt Woodsman but it is not a Smith & Wesson.

I own a Remington Model 12 Pump .22 but it is not a Winchester.

I own a Remington 351 but it is not a Savage.

I own a Tanfoglio CZ-75 copy but it is not a Kimber.

I own a Winchester Model 67 .22 but it is not a Ruger.

And I used to own 4 Norinco ATD .22 rifles and none were a Browning.

I bet my buddy Tino $100 that I would out-shoot his Browning SA-22 with my brand new cheap Chinese copy.

He had hundreds of shooting sessions under his belt, I had maybe 30 at the time, back in 1990.

We set up targets at 50yds. That was my first of 4 ATD-22s.

The next day I bought my second with the $100.

It's not a Browning, it was a Norinco, but it shot like a Weatherby.

Last edited by JAF0; 06-06-2019 at 03:18 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:02 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes Norinco shoot real good. So good that I have two. My question is why “ used to own four”?

Last edited by Toomany22s; 08-11-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:36 PM
JAF0

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Yes Norinco shoot real good. So good that I have two. My question is why “ used to own four”?
Stolen along with my Father's WW2 Hi-Standard .22 by my worthless jerk-off POS a5$w1pe scumbag nephew or one of his scumbag loser friends.

How are you?

I'm actively searching for a mint condition Belgian Browning SA-22 now, preferably grade 2-3. I'm also seeking a mint Browning Hi-Power which I'll also be outfitting with the .22 adapter.

I should never have traded my pre-64 Belgian Hi-Power for a Norinco AK-47, but I did have one of the first imported in the Northern Nazifornia area in 1984 and had a blast with it.

Last edited by JAF0; 06-07-2019 at 01:14 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:52 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry to here that. Scumbags are bad enough, relative scumbags are even worse.

Good luck on your searches. Belgians are the best. If they are the Flemish
Old 06-07-2019, 05:26 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I bought a ADT-22 approx. 6 months ago at my LGS, never have seen a Browning there or in the wild period.

The ADT-22 when brought home was having ejection problems as many of the Browning's have the same issue. I read and read replaced all the internals with new Browning parts and a little adjustment and that rifle has not had one FTF or FTE since. Great shooter and very accurate.

I was thinking about buying a Browning SA-22 but this rifle satisfied that itch. Browning Belgian made Japanese made or a ADT-22 Chinese made non are made in America so the Chinese made is not as perfectly finished I Love mine.