Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:47 PM
OctoberHunter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Question Two 980S Questions

Hi All. Recently I have come into a Marlin 980S that had a scope mounted when I got it. Skipping the really long story about the scope I can simply say it is no more and for the most part, I really enjoy shooting this rifle offhand and with open sites. The two questions then:

First, when I pulled the scope bases off they left four threaded holes in the reciever. No harm however I would love to track down a set of the threaded plugs that were likely in there before the scope went on. Does anyone have ideas where to looking for these? I can call Marlin but I would rather just point, click and ship.

Second, I notice that when I catch the sun at the right angle, there is a good bit of glare from the top of the groove in the rear sight. Any ideas about what can be applied there to reduce it? Just wondering if anyone else has seen this before and how they went at it. No worries if not.

Thanks very much and take care,

-JP
Old 08-28-2011, 04:39 AM
munkybiz_9881
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any good gunsmith should have the filler set screws for ya. But here is a link in case you don't have a GS close and handy.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...0L&catid=10683

These are kinda pricey though.....

As for the rear sight glare, a little bit of flat black paint applied with a toothpick will do wonders. When my dad was shooting black powder shoots, he would blacken the sights with smoke from a wooden match before the shoot. I got rid of the glare and was not a permanent alteration.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:47 PM
Colon Terminus
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Carbon Black or Lamp Black (or just plain soot) applied to both sights (and maybe rub a little on your cheek just under your dominant eye) will go a long way towards eliminating glare altogether.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2011, 02:35 PM
chalmitch
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Use a black "Magic marker" or a Sharpie.