Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:15 PM
dallee
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
50% (0)
Little help making a decision

Guys, my family and I are rimfire nuts! We love to shoot and .22 is the poor mans way to go for us if we want to shoot a lot. We shoot enough to even have put in a a 50 yard range behind the house. Live on a 100ac tract so its safe with an 8 berm and the bit.

Got Remingtons & CZs but looking to try some more.

My choice for purchase this weekend is either the Savage Mark II G or the new Marlin XT-22.

They both seem comparable giving the edge to the Marlin in price about $25 cheaper. Trigger I hear goes to savage even though the new Marlin has adjustable trigger.

So whats it boiling down for me I guess is accuracy with the right ammo. what kind of groupings could I expect, finding the ammo it likes best @ 50 yards?

Would she hand with the savage on groupings?

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-25-2011, 09:56 PM
SmallCalMac
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Savage

Marlin seem to have some start up problem as assemble has been moved to KY. I have the Savage MK II G with a wood stock. The Savage seem the way to go unless you can find a good used Marlin 25.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:59 PM
blueridgeranger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hello dallee
my personal opinion would be Savage. I don't own one, but have shot a couple over the years and I think it is a much better gun.
l think I just talked myself into one.
'all the best
blueridgeranger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2011, 11:40 PM
Tank50

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've seen one report by someone who bought a new XT 22 and loves it, even claiming it outshoots his high end rifles. Others have noted problems with theirs including misaligned sights, poor crowns, etc. I think the moral is if you buy the XT 22 or any rifle check it out thoroughly BEFORE you part with your hard earned money. I don't own a Marlin bolt gun but my 795s are very accurate.

I do own a Savage Mark II Classic in .22LR and I love it. Very accurate as the Mark IIs are reported to be. When I got it it had feeding problems which the factory fixed under warranty. No problems since. If you're looking at a Savage check to see that the magazine does not have excessive movement when seated. This was the cause of my problem. The above advice as to checking out the rifle pre-purchase applys.

I think either would serve you well if you are a careful shopper.

Good luck and good shooting.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:43 AM
dallee

TPC Rating: 
50% (0)
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help and advice. I think I will set back and wait a while on the XT-22 and let others work the bugs out. I am sure Marlin will get them to being bang up good but sounds like the consensus is the new first-run XTs have a bit to go to get them up to the standards we know Marlin for.

I am sure they will get there before too long.

Thanks again
Old 08-26-2011, 06:21 AM
Shoes
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am one of the lucky ones. I got the XT-22 and love it. It has a BSA Sweet 22 and a short bipod for the bench. It shoots as good as any rifle I have.

Given what everyone else says, I'd be careful until Marlin quality control improves. hen it does, you'll fine a real nice shooting rifle.

Ken