Barrels for benchrest shooting with a 10/22 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
View Poll Results: Which barrel do you use for a 10/22 to shoot benchrest?
Volquartsen 10 10.99%
Green Mountain 35 38.46%
Shilen 5 5.49%
Lilja 9 9.89%
Clark 5 5.49%
Clerke 5 5.49%
Shaw 2 2.20%
Hart 2 2.20%
Butler Creek 6 6.59%
other 12 13.19%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2003, 05:53 PM
gmcfixer
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Barrels for benchrest shooting with a 10/22

Hey all, we have long debated on barrels and many agree with the GM barrels being the best bang for the buck on a 10/22. What do you use for benchrest shooting on your 10/22?

Dave Z.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:12 PM
Rimfire Junkie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bettin' the farm that it would be a good thing to invest in Gm if they go public
Old 11-09-2003, 12:14 AM
clint

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Well I use a Lilja for my bench gun just cause I paid so much for it I also have a 20" fluted Green Mountain that will shoot right in there with the Lilja that I also use, but I gotta get my money outta this Lilja

I voted Lilja, if the question had been what is the most accurate barrel you have on the 10/22's I would have voted GM it's a toss up between it and Lilja!!

Clint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2003, 02:46 AM
Marinesg1012

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a 597 but I bought the VQ one becuase GM doens't and isn't planning on making barrels for it and 2 becuase the thing just looks amazing. Going to be a little bit before I know how it shoots though
Old 11-09-2003, 09:16 AM
knitepoet
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to knitepoet
I'm one of the "others" I'm shooting a barrel the Gordon Gauge gave me for winning a contest. He SAID it was a Boyds barrel. I don't know that for sure and there's NOT A MARK ON IT in regards to manufacturer ect.
Paul
Old 11-09-2003, 09:18 AM
Rimfire Junkie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by knitepoet
I'm one of the "others" I'm shooting a barrel the Gordon Gauge gave me for winning a contest. He SAID it was a Boyds barrel. I don't know that for sure and there's NOT A MARK ON IT in regards to manufacturer ect.
Paul
Paul, thats mine! I forgot to sign or engrave it. Can I have it back now>>??
Old 11-09-2003, 09:25 AM
gmcfixer
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not sure on the Boyds barrels if they have someone making them for them. I guess I could always drop one of the barrels that didn't get a vote yet and add Boyds. Douglas and KART didn't get mentioned either. Wasn't sure which would make the list and just used some that I've heard guys talk about in the past. Keep in mind the polls are limited to 10 options.

Dave Z.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:27 PM
DetroitDoc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm currently shooting a Tony Kidd barrel. I saw a marked improvement over my old barrel. My old barrel was an older midway barrel that I think might have been made by Green Mountain.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:45 AM
Gordon Gauge

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by knitepoet
Paul
I did indeed buy that barrel from Boyds. Rumor has that they are made by Shaw, but only Boyds knows for sure. GG
Old 11-11-2003, 10:51 AM
Buff

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anyone else shooting a Kimber barrel on their 10/22?
Old 11-11-2003, 01:11 PM
Viper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to Viper
Quote:
Originally posted by Gordon Gauge
I did indeed buy that barrel from Boyds. Rumor has that they are made by Shaw, but only Boyds knows for sure. GG
Boyds', Viper and ChiefDave.....
Old 11-14-2003, 12:40 PM
rat31465

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Midway Barrels

Detriot Doc;
Depending upon how old your Midway Barrel is it could be from any number of Manufactures. The last Barrel I bought from Midway was back in 1995. Since the Gun Shop that I worked for bought alot of merchandise from them I called up our Sales Rep and he tole me that mine was manufactured by Olympic Arms. I'll be honest here. (Given that I am a huge Shilen Fan.) That $89.00 (Shipping included) Barrel would shoot right along with my current Shilen Barrel. For about a third of the cost. Midway is now selling alot of the Adams & Bennets under the mincker of Midway 10/22 Bbl's.
Old 11-14-2003, 03:46 PM
knitepoet

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to knitepoet
Quote:
Originally posted by Gordon Gauge
GG, XXRing and I both mildly disagree with the statement you made to me that that particular barrel not being capable of shooting 250's. I haven't YET... but I did set a new personal best with it the first time I took it to the range. (Hence the "Thanks GG" in my score posts)

In case you missed that...
THANK YOU for the Barrel Mr Harris!!!!
Paul
Old 11-14-2003, 05:43 PM
DetroitDoc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Re: Midway Barrels

Quote:
Originally posted by rat31465
Detriot Doc;
Depending upon how old your Midway Barrel is it could be from any number of Manufactures. ...[SNIP]... Midway is now selling alot of the Adams & Bennets under the mincker of Midway 10/22 Bbl's.
Check out this post. Both Midway and Adams and Bennets barrels are made by Green Mountain. My Barrel has the "Made in the USA" engraving, which only Green Mountain does. So I am fairly confident that I have a Green Mountain barrel.

My KIDD barrel shoots better. I talked to Tony and he said the bentz reamer is HUGE. His chambers are cut with a reamer he designed. It's much tighter. I checked my barrels chamber against a bentz chamber. He's not kidding, his chamber is significantly tighter. His barrel also just barely pre-engraves my match ammo. I suspect those are the reasons it shoots better.

I just slapped my barreled action into my stock. I have not bedded it yet, and have light barrel to stock contact (worst case scenerio). Also my bolt is not 100% to the barrel face. Even with these two factors it's still shooting pretty well.

Here are a couple groups I shot. They are nothing to write home about, but I think it's a good starting point. Hopefully with some bedding and the new volquartsen receiver (no barrel canting to cause bad barrel to bolt contact) I can improve some.

These were shot outdoors at 50 yards. They are 5 shot groups. (Actually I think I lost count and put 6 in the bottom one).

Old 11-14-2003, 06:22 PM
ohioruger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I voted GM. I have a 20" stainless fluted I purchased from WFMBS a few months ago and it is marked GM. I recently purchased an 18" blued from Ken on ebay for $50, it has no markings on it anywhere. Are the blued WhiteFace GM barrels supposed to be marked? ohioruger