Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-05-2003, 05:18 AM
Marinesg1012

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wind flags

I asked this over in the shooting accessories forum but I think all the BR guys have moved over here so I would like to ask again if that isn't a big deal.

Lets get the skinny on wind flags: What features do you like? What features do you hate? Do you buy them made or do you build them yourself? How many do you use when you’re at the range? What colors do you like? Do you use another wind type gauge in conjunction with the flags? Any and all info, pertinent or not, about those colorful things we all see down range is appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:25 AM
tonner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Made a couple with garden daisy propellers, aluminum arrow shafts, and vanes made from cardboard instead of plastic with construction tape tails. Made them from plans somebody (sorry dont have url) posted. Used wood dowel instead of delrin to seat wire in for use as bearings and clamped dowel to a T post with hose clamps. Looks a little cheesy but works pretty well. I even estimate wind drift correctly once in a while
Old 11-05-2003, 07:56 AM
Tn. Hillbilly
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I made mine after looking at different flags being used at the matches I attended. They are made using coroplast, aluminum arrow shafts, model airplane props, surveyor's tape and Delrin. They're mounted on music stands. I plan to paint one side a different color so that it is easier to pickup the direction.

I use six flags. One each 5 yds. from the bench and target stand, with the rest spaced evenly in between. So far, the flags have proven to be very sensitive to wind changes.

I wish I had listened to the advice given me to get the flags right after I got involved in this game.

Gary

Here's a picture of one of the flags:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2003, 09:11 AM
Larry Burchfield
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
windflags

If you are shooting you need to be using wind flags. If you go to the Tips and Tricks section of this forum you will find a good article on wind flags and some plans to build them.
Also if you can find the article that Gene Beggs wrote about the wind you need to read it. If you can't find one let me know and maybe I can send you one.
One more thing. If you don't read the articles at www.benchrest.com you are missing out. There is some good stuff all over it
Old 11-05-2003, 08:47 PM
TangoTwo
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Marinesg1012,

I have been using 3 of Wicks flags. Ordered a fourth at the nationals and it came today. I'll set them at about 5,17,29, and 41 yards. 12 yard intervals seem good beacuse I can use all my fingers for counting and one extra step with each foot. I like the Wicks flags because they are more sensitive than some of the others I've seen. It's my opinion that it doesn't matter what you use for flags as long as you know them and what they are telling you. Before I got my own I used what ever flags the guy next to me set up. That's better than nothing by far, but, with use you can determine hold offs pretty well with YOUR flags. Usually they don't lie as often as your competitor's flags.

Ken
Old 11-05-2003, 09:45 PM
Forester

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I still use just 3 flags (Wicks) and that's plenty for me, but most shooters use more. If you are going to shoot benchrest, then you must have flags. You can't shoot benchrest without them. Wick's flags are hard to beat, but in really heavy wind, a good paddle will give you more information about intensity. Wick, Bill Myers, and several others make paddle flags.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:25 PM
REDTIP17

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just built 4 for the range for use tomorrow. Took the cheap way out for right now.
Used a piece of welding rod (1/16") x 36" long and tied a piece of survey tape (Flourecent Red) 16" long to the top. Glued a BB to the end. This way I can tell how strong it is by how high it blows the ribbon.
Will work OK for the time being. Bill "El Cheapo"
Old 11-06-2003, 01:45 PM
Superboar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You might want to look at the wind direction indicators for small sailboats. They usually have jeweled movements and do not have to be exactly vertical. They don't show wind speed but could have a ribbon added to them (and a compensating counterweight).

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...208&storeNum=2
Old 11-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Renegade

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I use four flags and two windicators. I'm not sure what brand the flags are (I bought the whole setup, used). The windicators are made by Bill Sims, and work very well for determining horizontal wind intensity. I put a flag and a Windicator about 5 yards out from the bench, space the rest of the flags out evenly to the target, with the other windicator about 20 yards out.

Tango Two is right on about learning to read your own flags. At the IR Nationals, bench rotation was in effect, and once you set your flags before the match, they stay put till the last target of the day is shot. There must have been between 200-300 flags out there, and was I ever glad when I got to shoot over my own flags! My best target of the weekend was shot in some of the worst conditions, but over flags I could understand.

One thing that makes the Wicks flags easier to read is their dual vane design, with different colors on the inside and outside. Much easier to tell how much the wind is quartering with them, because you see more or less of the inside panel on the far vane as the flag rotates. I'm seriously thinking of getting a set for next year.
Old 11-09-2003, 11:20 AM
littlecooner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
After building a few sets, I believe you would be better to go to the benchrest.com site and click on wind flags and purchase the style you desire. Some people like the ones with the daisy wheels for determing wind speed and some people prefer the ones without, using the tails for wind speed. This is a personal preference. If you shoot a good deal in very heavy wind conditions, then you may want the daisy wheels. I have shot for years using the tails to estimate wind speed. What ever you select, nothing and I repeat nothing will replace shoot over your set of flags to see what the wind does to the bullet. Learn your gun, your hold over your wind flags and do not pay any attention to the other flags at a match except to note change in wind directions (swithes) and they enter and move across the range.
A lot of shooter think they need daisy wheel and this is not necessarly true, I know several people in the bench rest hall of fame that got there shooting over flags with tails only and they are still using them. good shooting
Old 11-14-2003, 12:50 PM
jimfinn
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wind Flags by Jack C

Check out the posting "Windflags by Jack C" under the Tips & Tricks forum. I used it as the basis for building mine. The expensive part of mine are the bases. I use music stands ($18 each). Cut off the top and a 3/8" hardwood dowel went in and I secured it with screws. The rest of the materials cost $5-$8 or so per flag (I built mine with daisy wheels). If a guy could find cheap used music stands, you really could do this on the cheap.
For me it was fun to do this and it did involve a bunch of fiddling and farting until I was satistied. I'd say if this sounds like fun, build your own, if not buy them.
Jim
Old 11-16-2003, 04:35 PM
Marinesg1012

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for all the input guys, I wanted to buy some before I got home but now I am thinking I may just wait till I have a little more time and build my own. Thanks again and this is the stuff that makes this place so great.