Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-17-2003, 01:52 PM
DblNickel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Single Six

I have a Ruger Single Six that I need some input on. It's 2 years old and has about 1000 rounds thru it. The problem is the thing has always shot low. At 25 yards I have to aim it so that the target is covered by the barrel and then hope for the best. My Lipseys MK11 is dead accurate and has the same type of sights. Has anyone seen this problem in a Single Six?
Old 10-17-2003, 05:20 PM
452 shooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have an adjustable sight Single Six and have always been able to adjust the point of aim with no problems. Is yours equipped with adjustable sights or fixed? If adjustable , it seems odd that the revolver would still shoot low with the rear sight all the way up. You could reduce the height of the front sight which would bring up your point of impact.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:54 PM
DblNickel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes it's an adjustable sight with the large front blade. I have had it cranked all the way up but didn't improve it much. I saw a post on a site once where a fella explained how to grind down the front site for the same problem I'm having, (lost the info) so I thought I would try and see if anyone had similar experiences with their SS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2003, 06:15 PM
BigMike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
DblNickel,

Try some Dynapoints [40 gr. @ 1150 fps] or some standard velocity ammo [40 gr. @ ~ 1050 - 1080 fps] and see if your POI doesn't come up.....! !

Old 10-18-2003, 07:00 PM
W191
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Before you start grrrrinding away at the front sight, I'd try a lot of different ammo. Once you grind the sight down...that's it. Just go to the gun store and grab all the name brand ammo to start. Something has to work. Mine shoots very well at 25 yards with CCI Velocitor ammo. CCI Stingers and Winchester HP's work very good. Put that grinder away!
Old 10-18-2003, 07:49 PM
gunsmither
RFC Sponsor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Please don't use a grinder! Use a Fine Cut File !

I'd suggest using a wide, very fine cut file if you have to lower the front sight. Put a piece of thick cardboard (12 pak of beer type cardboard) on top of the rear sight to protect it, and lay the file on top of the cardboard protected rear sight to keep the front sight level with the rear sight. Use long, steady file strokes to keep it smooth and even.

Bench rest the gun with rear sight down all the way and take careful aim, using the same sight picture for each shot. File down the front sight a little bit at a time until your groups are close, but still a little low to point of aim. Then raise your rear sight to fine tune it. Cold blue the top of the front sight when your done.

Hope you solve your problem! Safe Shooting! -"gunsmither"

UNIQUE gunsmithing tools and accessories for 10/22's, MkII's, S&W
Old 10-19-2003, 03:39 PM
stray round

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Had the same problems with mine years ago. Just wrote Ruger and had a new higher sight in the mail a couple of days later.

You may have some problems with Rugers QC but they always make good.
Best of luck.