Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:30 AM
rheingold

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New Browning Buckmark, is this right?

Hey guys, I'm new here and hoping you can help me out.

I bought a brand new Browning Buckmark Camper SS yesterday. I literally just took it out of the box to clean the barrel before taking it to the range, and I noticed what seems to be a pretty obvious firing pin mark on the chamber.

I have never dry fired this gun, and it wasn't the display model either, they got a fresh one out of storage for me.

Is this normal? Should I return this gun?

What say you?

Thanks, rheingold
Old 08-21-2010, 11:36 AM
Jlars

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I say that it has been dry fired. Depending on where you got it they may exchange it for you. Some places won't and that is why I always look over the gun before leaving. They consider it a used gun after you leave the store.
That mark won't hurt the function or accuracy of the gun.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:28 PM
toivo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Would one dry-fire make that much of a dent? It may have been dry-fired repeatedly. I would be suspicious of that really being a "fresh one." The store may or may not take it back, but you certainly have a valid warranty issue seeing as you've never fired the pistol.

The worst case with that situation is that the dent creates a burr on the edge of the chamber, potentially causing extraction problems. You may not have any problems, but I would get in touch with Browning and get it sorted out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2010, 03:55 PM
Frankyoz
US Marines Veteran Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not only that but it looks like carbon deposit on the rim of the chamber as well. That is a very deep firing pin detent as well. Almost like it was cut in there.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:23 PM
btolle
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks like somebody has fired it numerous times. Could be they returned it because of the firing pin issue and the dealer put it back in stock and resold it as a new gun.

Check for any lead or powder anywhere in the barrel or action.

I can't see how dry firing it one time would cause that much of a 'dent'.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:31 PM
armabill
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Wouldn't the firing pin make a dent not a slot?

Is the firing pin a pin or a bar?
Old 08-21-2010, 05:20 PM
rheingold

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, this was interesting.

I brought the gun back, they pulled four brand new ones out of storage, opened the sealed boxes; all of them had the exact same mark, no difference.

Talked to a Browning rep who happened to be in the store, he "thought" it was supposed to be that way, as a relief for the firing pin to prevent damage from dry firing. He promised to get back to me with a definitive answer from the factory. I'll report back when I hear from them.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:15 PM
Jpeters2002

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is normal. I just purchased a buckmark a couple weeks ago and looked at probably about 10 brand new buckmarks and they all had this same dent. I also asked for a never handled non display model and mine has the same mark and I have never dry fired mine.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:22 PM
jgofnj

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That won't have any negative impact on your gun. Relax and enjoy it. I LOVE my buckmark camper.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:31 PM
rheingold

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok, I took the new Buckmark to the range and fired about 300 rounds through it using five different brands of ammo.

The accuracy is excellent, at least when the gun actually shoots, which isn't very often.

It constantly jammed the ejected cases. By "constantly" I mean that out of 300 rounds I could shoot a full ten round mag without jam exactly twice. It usually jammed several times per mag, regardless off ammo brand.

The cases either get stuck lengthwise,

on the left side:

or the right side:

Sometimes they flipped 90 degrees before getting stuck on the left side:

or the right side:

This is my first autoloading rimfire pistol, so I gotta ask, is this normal for this type of pistol?

I'm kinda disappointed...
Old 08-21-2010, 11:34 PM
27 Beck

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
Should not happen. What ammo are you using?
Old 08-21-2010, 11:40 PM
rheingold

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 27 Beck View Post
Should not happen. What ammo are you using?
I tried CCI Mini Mags, Remington Golden Bullets, Federal Value Pack, Winchester Super X High Velocity, and expensive Wolf Match Ammo.

Made no noticeably difference, they all jammed equally badly.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:46 PM
remnar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks like it might be an ejector problem. This thread might help.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...hlight=ejector

I have never had a problem with minimags or win super-x. I get occasional stove-pipes with Fed. bulk and I won't buy golden duds because even if they feed, you never know if they'll explode out the rim or never go off.

-remnar
Old 08-22-2010, 08:36 AM
jgofnj

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shot about 1,500 rounds on my new camper. That happened only 3 times. Sounds like it should go back if its brand new.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:09 AM
cwegga

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheingold View Post
Ok, I took the new Buckmark to the range and fired about 300 rounds through it using five different brands of ammo.

The accuracy is excellent, at least when the gun actually shoots, which isn't very often.

It constantly jammed the ejected cases. By "constantly" I mean that out of 300 rounds I could shoot a full ten round mag without jam exactly twice. It usually jammed several times per mag, regardless off ammo brand.

The cases either get stuck lengthwise,

This is my first autoloading rimfire pistol, so I gotta ask, is this normal for this type of pistol?

I'm kinda disappointed...
Mine did that quite a bit when I first got it. Not as much as yours but quite a bit. There are a couple easy things to check before you fiddle with parts or try to get it repaired.

I had the most trouble when it was new with fed bulk ammo. Using high velocity ammo (Velocitors etc.) there were no problems. As my gun broke in and the spring relaxed a little it works fine with federal bulk ammo now too. Also if you are "limp wristing" (not providing enough resistance to the recoil) the problem can happen with weaker ammo. My Buckmark can still have ejection problems if I hold it all loosy goosy.

TLR
Make sure you try with ammo with enough oomph and give the gun something solid to push against. See if that fixes your problem before trying more expensive and time consuming fixes.