Which Barrel for Ultimate in Accuracy - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-17-2010, 11:09 PM
Range Junkie's Avatar
Range Junkie
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
May 2010
Location: 
Arkansas
Posts: 
279
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Which Barrel for Ultimate in Accuracy



Log in to see fewer ads
I want to build a rifle for pure accuracy. I'm talking about shooting the wings off a fly at 100 yards type accuracy. The problem is I can't make mind mind up what barrel to choose. There are so many choices available, Hart, Douglas, Kidd, Shilen, Lilja, Clark, the list goes on and on. I am seriously thinking about sending my Ruger target barrel to Nemo and having him hand lap, rechamber, and recrown it just to see what kind of accuracy I can get out of it. It is a respectable shooter now and after reading all the rave reviews about his work I think he could could only make it better. I also figure once he's done with it if it doesn't give the kind of accuracy I'm looking for I won't have a ton of money in it. I don't have a problem dumping the money into a premium barrel if that's the only way to the kind of accuracy I'm looking for but if I don't have to that would be great and the savings will help fund other stuff. I'm going to use an aftermarket receiver as a base, probably a Kidd. So, if you guys were going to build a rifle for the ultimate in accuracy what barrel would you use?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-17-2010, 11:23 PM
frog5215
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2008
Location: 
Texas
Posts: 
4,093
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Choose a bolt action receiver first.
Then look at what's winning benchrest.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-17-2010, 11:23 PM
hardwoodjdc's Avatar
hardwoodjdc
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Aug 2009
Location: 
Port Huron, Mi.
Posts: 
1,182
TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
CZ w/ a 452 action!!! I have had 3 different 10/22s including a heavy bbl. target and couldn't get any of them to shoot under 3" @ 100yds. Now that is a BIG fly! Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 08-17-2010, 11:27 PM
NJ CLAD
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2009
Posts: 
77
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You won't go wrong with any of the above mentioned barrels. Remember the chambering probably more important than the barrel maker. I'd go with one of the "traditional" match barrel makers (Hart, Shilen or Lilja), and have Randy at CPC, or Nemo install and chamber the barrel. Just my $.02!!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-18-2010, 01:57 AM
1FJEF's Avatar
1FJEF

Join Date: 
Aug 2005
Location: 
Northern Mexico (Kalifornia)
Posts: 
1,648
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
He's not asking if he should buy a bolt rifle. To answer your question, (which is posted in the 10/22 section!) you're on the right track with the brands you've mentioned, but to keep it reasonable I'd go with the Kidd. If money isn't a big deal, I would go with a complete rifle made by Kidd. He has a whole system that works together to provide an excellent finished product.
His own action w/additional action screw. A superb trigger & bolt. A threaded mounting system for his bbl to give simplicity & strength.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-18-2010, 06:27 AM
nemohunter's Avatar
nemohunter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2005
Location: 
north east missouri
Posts: 
8,645
TPC Rating: 
95% (77)
of the makers you have listed only Lilja will have the out of the box accuracy to be what you want. all the rest use a chamber that is not ideal.

Give you an idea a Lilja is the only barrel i own that does not have one of my chambers in it. it is the only one that will equal my work time and again.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-18-2010, 01:03 PM
dbuckbee
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
May 2003
Location: 
Grayling, Michigan
Posts: 
2,260
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Range Junkie View Post
I want to build a rifle for pure accuracy. I'm talking about shooting the wings off a fly at 100 yards type accuracy. The problem is I can't make mind mind up what barrel to choose. There are so many choices available, Hart, Douglas, Kidd, Shilen, Lilja, Clark, the list goes on and on. I am seriously thinking about sending my Ruger target barrel to Nemo and having him hand lap, rechamber, and recrown it just to see what kind of accuracy I can get out of it. It is a respectable shooter now and after reading all the rave reviews about his work I think he could could only make it better. I also figure once he's done with it if it doesn't give the kind of accuracy I'm looking for I won't have a ton of money in it. I don't have a problem dumping the money into a premium barrel if that's the only way to the kind of accuracy I'm looking for but if I don't have to that would be great and the savings will help fund other stuff. I'm going to use an aftermarket receiver as a base, probably a Kidd. So, if you guys were going to build a rifle for the ultimate in accuracy what barrel would you use?

You are talking about building a 10-22, right?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-18-2010, 01:58 PM
Chaser's Avatar
Chaser is online now
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

Join Date: 
Aug 2005
Location: 
S.E. Idaho
Posts: 
20,568
TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Woaaaaaaa...read up right here...


https://rimfirecentral.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=351606
__________________
"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of
it." --Clint Eastwood
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-18-2010, 02:46 PM
1FJEF's Avatar
1FJEF

Join Date: 
Aug 2005
Location: 
Northern Mexico (Kalifornia)
Posts: 
1,648
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yep. The thing a lot of people forget is shooting in a condition. When the flags & mirage are just right you can get off 5 good shots in a few seconds, WITHOUT disturbing, fussing, & repositioning the rifle in the bags after cycling the bolt handle.
I wouldn't put a 10/22 up against a great shooter with some Calfee wunder-rifle, but there again, you could have eight grand in that set-up too!
That's the first time I've seen nemohunter give a compliment like that to Lilja, so I would say Range Junkie might want to take note of that.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-18-2010, 08:21 PM
Tricounty
US Army

Join Date: 
Aug 2010
Location: 
Mokena,IL
Posts: 
2
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I know I'm new here and this maybe a dumb question but here goes, where do you find a Kidd complete rifle? there is no mention of it at his web site! I'll just write him a check! instead of doing the work myself.

Thanks for the help.
Tony
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-18-2010, 08:36 PM
studawg

Join Date: 
Jul 2010
Posts: 
35
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricounty View Post
I know I'm new here and this maybe a dumb question but here goes, where do you find a Kidd complete rifle? there is no mention of it at his web site! I'll just write him a check! instead of doing the work myself.

Thanks for the help.
Tony
With this I think all you would need is a stock. Oops receiver too.

http://coolguyguns.com/webstore/inde...325de3eab72485

He has receivers here:

http://coolguyguns.com/webstore/inde...index&cPath=15

Last edited by studawg; 08-18-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-18-2010, 09:30 PM
burkey1000
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Sep 2009
Location: 
Garland TX
Posts: 
167
TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
hm

For the best bang for buck i would go with, Kidd would be my first choice, My second choice would be Kidd, and if neither of them worked out i would settle for a Kidd
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-18-2010, 10:38 PM
Range Junkie's Avatar
Range Junkie
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
May 2010
Location: 
Arkansas
Posts: 
279
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks for the feedback guys.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-19-2010, 12:39 AM
Chaser's Avatar
Chaser is online now
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

Join Date: 
Aug 2005
Location: 
S.E. Idaho
Posts: 
20,568
TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricounty View Post
I know I'm new here and this maybe a dumb question but here goes, where do you find a Kidd complete rifle? there is no mention of it at his web site! I'll just write him a check! instead of doing the work myself.

Thanks for the help.
Tony
Oh it's there...look harder...but, the stocks he has are minimal...choose your fav. stock and send it to Tony and he will assemble a masterpiece for you. All you will need to do is shoot and enjoy..and brag of course.
__________________
"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of
it." --Clint Eastwood
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-19-2010, 12:42 AM
Chaser's Avatar
Chaser is online now
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

Join Date: 
Aug 2005
Location: 
S.E. Idaho
Posts: 
20,568
TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FJEF View Post
He's not asking if he should buy a bolt rifle. To answer your question, (which is posted in the 10/22 section!) you're on the right track with the brands you've mentioned, but to keep it reasonable I'd go with the Kidd. If money isn't a big deal, I would go with a complete rifle made by Kidd. He has a whole system that works together to provide an excellent finished product.
His own action w/additional action screw. A superb trigger & bolt. A threaded mounting system for his bbl to give simplicity & strength.

BINGO...winner winner...OMGollie I thought you guys were slow learners
__________________
"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of
it." --Clint Eastwood
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x