New Single Six shoots poorly - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-28-2003, 08:49 PM
Mark 2
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
New Single Six shoots poorly

A short while back I bought a new SS anniversary edition. My first experience with it showed it to shoot badly but I wasn't able to quantify the problem. This weekend I did just that by doing the following: Shot at a paper target at 25 yards from sandbag rest with the gun not touching the rest but rather my wrist on the rest. Ran numerous different ammo through it. The results were quite consistant regardless of ammo. It produced 6 shot groups of roughly 2" but the real problem is that the group centers are 2 1/4" low and 2 1/4" to the left of the point of aim.

I feel that this is just not exceptable and would like to approach Ruger to provide a fix for the problem. I could live with the large 2" group (but would rather not....) but since the sight is not adjustable (and Ruger claims that it's sighted for 25 yds) I think that they should make the gun center the groups at 25 yds or replace it with one that does.

Does anyone have experience with a problem like this in a new gun and how did the problem get resolved?

Thank you,

Mark 2
Old 07-28-2003, 10:45 PM
Ole' Man River
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
93% (24)
If your pistol came with the magnum cylinder, the barrel is bored for the larger .224 bullets used in the magnum ammo. The single sixes are more accurate with the magnum anno and Ruger may be referencing the 25 yard accuracy with the magnum round.
I have two ruger single sixes, but neither of them has seen more than 6 rounds down the barrel. One is a 76 Colorado Bi-Centennial piece and they're both kept as Investment.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:57 AM
B Coyote
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I REALLY wish Ruger would either:

1. Produce the Super Single-Six chambered ONLY in .22lr.

or

2. See No. 1.

Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2003, 07:19 AM
Bob in Michigan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Re: New Single Six shoots poorly

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark 2
A short while back I bought a new SS anniversary edition.
It produced 6 shot groups of roughly 2" but the real problem is that the group centers are 2 1/4" low and 2 1/4" to the left of the point of aim.

I feel that this is just not exceptable and would like to approach Ruger to provide a fix for the problem. I could live with the large 2" group (but would rather not....) but since the sight is not adjustable (and Ruger claims that it's sighted for 25 yds) I think that they should make the gun center the groups at 25 yds or replace it with one that does.

Does anyone have experience with a problem like this in a new gun and how did the problem get resolved?

Thank you,

Mark 2
First step might be to try a BUNCH of different ammos, and see if any of them work better for you...One of them might group better, or shoot closer to center for you.

After that I would consider sending it to Ruger...or maybe altering the front sight myself, if I'd found a good-grouping ammo, and thought I could move the group enough by bending or grinding the front sight.
Good Luck,
Old 08-03-2003, 08:20 PM
Elkein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Elkein Send a message via Yahoo to Elkein
If you elect to adjust the sights be aware that the amount you indicate that it is off require only .012" (read twelve thousandths) of an inch off the front sight, and the same amount of bending to the left ( Or a gunsmith could torque the barrel the .012 needed tighter on the the barrel ) With a bit of technique, a surface plate and proper measuring tools your sigh can be adjusted easily.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:19 PM
Mark 2

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Thanks for the replys. I called Ruger and they said to send it back. Just to be sure I wasn't hallucinating I went back to the range and shot several differant 22 LR ammo and about 6 differant 22 mag ammo. The results are very consistant....and as mentioned above, poor. I'll be sending the targets with particulars to Ruger along with the gun.

Elkein, could you go through the trig to show how you came up with 12 thou' off the front sight?

Thanks, Mark 2
Old 08-06-2003, 08:42 PM
Elkein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Elkein Send a message via Yahoo to Elkein
Try this for explanation.

Known error amount = E
Distance at "sight in" = R
Known spread in sights(about an inch longer than the barrel on revolvers) = S

Onto business:
Convert R into inches
R x 3' x 12" = RI
RI / S = T
E / T = Correction

In numbers
25 yards x 3' x 12" = 900"
900" / 5" = 180
2.25" / 180 = .0125" The exact amount to adjust the sights.
Works on most anything that shoots, drop the "ten-thousandths measurement" in favor of conservative adjustment
Old 08-07-2003, 09:41 AM
Mark 2

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Thanks Elkein

That's useful. Where did you come up with the formula? Is it one amoung many useful such tidbits?

Mark 2