Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:59 AM
RumFire
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Old Crosman 1300

Small game season ended last month, the .22 rifle has been put away, and I thought I'd play with an old Crosman Medalist II Model 1300 .22 air pistol I got new as a kid. The original plastic forearm broke long ago, and I'd carved out new grips and a forearm to suite offhand target shooting.

After sitting for years I found it initially wouldn't develop any pressure. However after pumping the thing over and over again that slowly improved as what little oil is in it apparently started lubing the seals. That wasn't a permanent fix though, and I've ordered some Crosman Pelloil to try to revive the thing.

I also thought about replacing the seals, and ordered a plunger and valve assembly for a 1322/1377, but found those parts were nowhere near the originals and didn't install them. So...

1) The hope is just lubing the pistol will revive it.
2) If not, where can I get a seal kit?
3) How can I improve the horrible trigger pull this pistol has?
4) There seems to be a real cottage industry dedicated to modifying the 1377 Crosman. I know the plunger and valves have superseded to new parts, but what other readily available parts could I use to improve my old pistol.

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2009, 10:47 AM
ParatroopVet
US Army Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I like your woodwork. I wish I could do something like that without fear of cutting off my fingers.

As far as parts and restoration, you might give these guys a look.

http://www.bryanandac.com/default.htm
Old 03-14-2009, 11:43 AM
NWGosha

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great looking 1300. Like you, I still have mine from long ago.

It sounds like you need a seal kit. I installed one on my last year as the PellOil only helped so much. Once you re-seal it, remember to keep one or two pumps in it when you store it.

Bryan and Associates can help you out, as well as Alan at AB Airguns:
http://www.abairgun.com/Kits.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2009, 11:54 AM
kwilfong

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Smile

Nice woodwork Rumfire! Ron Sauls at Bryandassoc. is a really helpful fellow. As for pellgunoil, I just a few drops of automatic transmission fluid. Sometimes a few drops dribbled in front of the piston will soften the seals and flush debris out of the valve body.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:45 AM
RumFire

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the hints and words of encouragement. When the oil arrives I'll give that a try, and get the seal kit if needed. I've got a copy of the repair manual, though it leaves a lot to be desired as far as step-by-step instructions.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:25 AM
NWGosha

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I did not have even the repair manual with me when I did mine. All I had was the exploded view/parts list. In retrospect, it would have been a little faster if I had some hints as to what to do first. Oh, well. It is all back together, and works great.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:27 PM
RumFire

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Crosman Pellgunoil I'd ordered (no local sporting goods stores had it) arrived and three or four drops got the old pistol going again. It now builds and holds pressure just fine.

Only two problems:
1) The trigger pull is still terrible. Really have to find a fix for this.
2) Power was low. I realized that the bolt fit pretty loosely into the breech, even though the o-ring looked fine. I had the feeling that the barrel had slid forward in the receiver and give the muzzle a few light whacks with a brass mallet. That tightened things up nicely and the pistol shot with a whole lot more power.

Unfortunately that only worked for a few shots, then things were loose again. Looks like I'll have to use some Locktite sleeve & bearing adhesive to secure the barrel and keep it from drifting forward.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:55 PM
handyandy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Does the gun have a steel receiver? I bought an old 1377 that has a steel receiver and the barrel is either one piece with the receiver or it's swaged in so it acts like one piece. It looks like the receiver on your gun. You might want to check the transfer port seal between the receiver and pump tube.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:47 PM
RumFire

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Does the gun have a steel receiver? I bought an old 1377 that has a steel receiver and the barrel is either one piece with the receiver or it's swaged in so it acts like one piece. It looks like the receiver on your gun. You might want to check the transfer port seal between the receiver and pump tube.
Yep, steel receiver. Barrel seems to be swaged in. Or pressed in might be more accurate. Not pressed in tight enough though. The seal between the receiver and pump tube looks ok from the side. I haven't taken the pistol apart yet though.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:55 PM
RumFire

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I removed the barrel assembly last night and easily separated the barrel and receiver.

Then cleaned the parts with "Brakleen" and bonded the barrel into the receiver.

I put it all back together this evening after allowing 24 hrs. for the bond to cure.

It works great now. The barrel stays put and power stays high.

Too bad the trigger pull is still terrible.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:50 PM
DoogieB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is the trigger the same as the modern 1377?

If so, over-compressing the spring with a screwdriver/flat washer or replacing it with a weaker spring is a good start. Polishing the contact surfaces can also remove the gritty feel.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:55 PM
RumFire

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't know if the trigger assembly is the same as the 1377. It looks like the design is the same, but the parts are pinned into the metal frame rather than easily accessible after removing a side plate like on the 1377. Looks like the barrel and plunger tube above the sear has to be removed to drive out the pins and remove the trigger and sear from above. Looks like a pain.

At least I can get to the sear spring just by removing the grips.

Edited to add there is some good info on trigger work at this thread https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...t=1377+trigger
Just don't know how much applies.