Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:42 AM
boog04
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Thanks, I got an account there last night. Now too go figure my taxes! I have Cooper taste on a CZ budget. I may have to turn loose of my 452 GF.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:26 PM
joelkdouglas
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have needed to update this for a while. I ordered a Remington 547 Custom C grade March of 2017 directly through Dakota / Remington custom shop. I ordered the rifle while stationed at Minot ND, and I moved to Cheyenne, WY last summer.

I was fortunate--thanks to Rick at Dakota!--to be able to tour the Dakota rifle facility during the move. I posted a thread about the tour here at the time. Here's a picture of the shaped blank from that tour:

Dakota / Remington custom completed the rifle in late September. Here are some pictures Rick sent me at the time of completion:

Here's a picture on my porch in the sunshine:

I had hoped to get up to Rapid City / Sturgis to pick it up in person, but my current job is pretty demanding of my time and it wasn't going to work out.

And of course I received the rifle in late September. I love shooting rimfire, but I love elk hunting more, and I love elk meat. The rifle had to take a back seat to some time elk hunting. Then holidays / colder weather sets in.

I have been out to the range three times with her recently. She shoots Eley match pretty well:

The Eley match is the center of the Shoot N C target. Shots were at 50 yards, outside in some fairly windy conditions (when is it NOT windy in Wyoming?), scoped, on bags with a folded cloth diaper between the bag and the rifle.

Same image, the group in the bottom left is Eley Contact ammunition. I'll take that any day--no rabbit or target will ever know the difference.

When I got back from sighting in the irons and scope I promptly took off the scope. I will rarely/never shoot the rifle from a bench. The point of a rimfire rifle is 1) to be awesome, and 2) to be a good shot. In the field there are no benches, and for my rimfire shooting I'm mostly standing / kneeling / sitting / etc., shooting at a spinner target while my centerfire rifle is cooling. Unless I'm rabbit hunting, because Mrs. McGregor's Pie is really delicious, as is Rabbit in Mustard Cream sauce.

Overall she is just what I want. Lightweight, nimble, accurate, beautiful, with iron sights and great figure.

Thanks all!

Last edited by joelkdouglas; 01-28-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:41 PM
dgludwig
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Absolutely gorgeous rifle, joelkdouglas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2018, 08:59 PM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (93)

Congratulations on a fine looking rifle. Looks by the pictures it was worth the wait.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:51 PM
HUSHKABOOM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
Very nice. Thanks for posting.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:46 AM
cvarcher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
how is the magazine feed and cycling ?

That surely is one beautiful rimfire. May you have many years of happiness with it. The magazine is not plastic,right. Does it feed and cycle flawlessly with different brands of ammo? Are spare magazines available and is there an adaptor for shooting it single shot if one wanted to?
Old 01-30-2018, 01:53 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
Metal magazine with plastic base and follower. Flush when inserted in rifle. Spares from custom shop. Don't have one of these yet so can't help with SS adaptor.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:37 PM
joelkdouglas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes what Hushkaboom said about the magazine.

Mine feeds and functions without hiccup thus far.

I’m not aware of a single shot adaptor, I’ve not considered it as an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2018, 10:05 PM
joelkdouglas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boog04 View Post
Thanks, I got an account there last night. Now too go figure my taxes! I have Cooper taste on a CZ budget. I may have to turn loose of my 452 GF.

I note the 22 Mag sold—are you the new owner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2018, 10:00 AM
Hawk22lr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great looking rifle!! I have a classic that I enjoy.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:15 PM
boog04
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nope, wasn't me. I'm only interested in .22LR. Still trying to make up my mind on the 547 or 541s. I already have an S that I squirrel hunt with. Would like a 541 THB just because its been on my mind for the last 30 years or so. I feel that if I get another S I know it will shoot good. I've heard of problems with getting the 547 to shoot good. A local fellow bought one and had to send it back. I guess he is happy with it now.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:52 PM
Gunslave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
547 new York or Sturgis?

Greetings. I would like to get a 547 in classic or THB. I am just looking for the most acurate rifle I can get. I would not be getting a C grade. Any thoughts about
whether the older New York rifles are the ones to get, or the current rifles built in Sturgis. I want to get a 22 WMR first choice, or a 17HMR if I can' t find the 22 mag. This is my first time on the forum. Thanks in advance for your help. RW
Old 02-19-2018, 07:15 PM
WATCHADDIC
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslave View Post
Any thoughts about
whether the older New York rifles are the ones to get, or the current rifles built in Sturgis. I want to get a 22 WMR first choice, or a 17HMR if I can' t find the 22 mag. This is my first time on the forum.
From personal experience the Sturgis rifles are way more consistent on accuracy, with the Illion rifles some shoot some don't.

Rich
Old 02-19-2018, 07:21 PM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (93)
I have a 547C in 22 LR and a 547 THB in 17HMR. I have had to send both in for trigger work and bedding the action. I was taken care of very well the last go around by dakota rifle in Sturgis. I do know of people not being satisfied with the finished product from the NEW YORK CUSTOM SHOP. I am not one of them I am very satisfied and happy with my remington 547 rifles.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:26 PM
Gunslave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Rich. That is great info. The Sturgis rifles seem to be a lot easier to get. That is what I will go after. Do the ones made in Sturgis say on the barrel that they are made in Sturgis or do they still say N Y on the barrel? Are the Sturgis rifles still get a 100 yard target like the N Y rifles? Thanks in advance for your help. RW