Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:11 PM
leathermanwave
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How to lossen barrel screw

How in the world do you loosen the barrel screw on a browning buckmark camper.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Ledbetter

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via ICQ to Ledbetter
Heat it with a heat gun or set the whole gul (minus grips) on an iron on low for fifteen minutes.

Sounds like it is loctited.

An alternative is to heat a screwdriver (or hex wrench) very hot and insert into the screw to transfer the heat to the threads.

Use a DIFFERENT screwdriver or hex wrench to turn the screw.

Good luck.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:34 PM
XR400R

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I could not budge the barrel screw on my Bullseye the first time I tried to break it down. I figured it was loctited.

So heated up a cheap 50w soldering iron, one with that thin pencil tip, and when it got hot, just pushed it onto the screw for, perhaps 20 seconds. Then immediately put the hex wrench on it & it came right out without difficulty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2008, 07:21 AM
J. Plate

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to J. Plate
Yep, just did mine last night for the first time. Took a 7/64 hex wrench and heated her up cherry red on a propane torch. After pulling it from the heat, I let it cool until it wasn't glowing and stuck it into the head on the barrel screw and left if for about 20-25 seconds. Removed the "hot" wrench and used a second 7/64 hex wrench to turn the screw, and she came right out.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:14 AM
River447

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Try 50 rounds rapid fire to heat things up and it should come right out.

Worked for me and itís much more fun than a soldering iron.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:02 AM
J. Plate

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by River447
Try 50 rounds rapid fire to heat things up and it should come right out.

Worked for me and itís much more fun than a soldering iron.
Huh, never thought of that. Wish I had. . . .

Although, my BM only came with one magazine ( ) and I don't know if I can load fast enough to keep it hot!
Old 01-08-2008, 11:58 AM
colerain

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well just don't do what I did

I've tried everything listed in the forums after twisting a few allen wrenches and bending them to 90 degrees I decided to use an allen bit and socket wrench. Broke the tip off.

Tried to drill it out the broken tip with various tools with no success so I gave up and started enjoying the gun. Still mad that it happened. Oh well.

Unless you really need to remove it I wouldn't mess with it or you'll end up like my situation.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:07 PM
leathermanwave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
j. plate how long did it take to heat the allen wrench.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:59 PM
BrianAZ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I feel your pain dude. I posted a similar question a few months ago, re: the sight rib screws on top of Buckmarks. I also received several responses involving soldering irons, propane torches, and ovens.

I love my Buckmarks, but %%%%, field stripping ANY gun should NOT involve open flames or "cherry red" heated anything!!!

Good luck. I still have a few screws I've never gotten out. And a few that are still loose, if ya know what I mean!

Last edited by BrianAZ; 01-08-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:27 PM
J. Plate

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leathermanwave View Post
j. plate how long did it take to heat the allen wrench.
Seconds. And don't try to put the allen wrench in the screw when it's 'cherry'. Wait until it cools and goes back to it's normal color. It should still be hot enough to heat up the threads and loosen up that screw. Also, remember to use a different allen wrench to actually loosen to screw after you take the hot one out of the screw head.

I broke a few off in there too. I twisted two wrenches, and snapped two wrenches and a hex bit trying to get them out.....but, all I did was wrap the muzzle with a thick towel and tap it, muzzle down, on my bench. The broken tips fell right out. They shouldn't really be stuck in the screw. So, drilling them out wasn't necessary in my case.

My sight rib screws came out easy. No heating involved.

After all that, I went out and put 150 rounds through it on my lunch.......she hits exactly where she was before I tore it down.

Last edited by J. Plate; 01-08-2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:43 PM
leathermanwave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How important is it to take the barrel off. I have tried everything and i can't get it off.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Ledbetter

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via ICQ to Ledbetter
If you take the barrel off, you don't have to clean from the muzzle.

That's about the only benefit.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:27 PM
J. Plate

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leathermanwave View Post
How important is it to take the barrel off. I have tried everything and i can't get it off.
If you ever want to field strip, you'll have to get that screw out. Personally, as soon as I get a new firearm, I strip it down as far as I'm comfortable just to know how it works. That way if there ever is a problem with anything, I know what's going on in there.

It's also recommended that if you bought your pistol NIB to break it down and clean the factory lube out of it. It's a thick anti-rust compound that can cause problems if you don't clean it out. At least, that's what I've been told. I've never taken the chance and left it in. FWIW, there was a generous amount of 'goop' under my barrel, under the sight rib, and collected in the back of the slide. I, personally, am glad that I got it out of there. But, then again, I tend to be a tad anal when it comes to my firearms.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:04 PM
leathermanwave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
currently I field strip by taking both sight base screws off.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:18 PM
spurs101
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Plate View Post
If you ever want to field strip, you'll have to get that screw out. Personally, as soon as I get a new firearm, I strip it down as far as I'm comfortable just to know how it works. That way if there ever is a problem with anything, I know what's going on in there.

It's also recommended that if you bought your pistol NIB to break it down and clean the factory lube out of it. It's a thick anti-rust compound that can cause problems if you don't clean it out. At least, that's what I've been told. I've never taken the chance and left it in. FWIW, there was a generous amount of 'goop' under my barrel, under the sight rib, and collected in the back of the slide. I, personally, am glad that I got it out of there. But, then again, I tend to be a tad anal when it comes to my firearms.
Same procedure. I've always removed something - micro dust or lube of some sort. The barrel screws on the BM are tough the first time and the hex did some twisting but it broke the screw loose. I had to take the heated hex trick to a friend of mine's BM and it worked just fine. It is important to get a good field strip on these once in a while.

For the stuck broken hex heads you might want to try an easy out or even a small tap to get a hold of it and pull it out carefuly. Order another barrel screw if you think its rounded.

Last edited by spurs101; 01-08-2008 at 05:29 PM.