Marlin Bolt Action Trigger Modification Reference - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:42 AM
alfacliff
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Last night, I tried to do the pen spring trick on my model 80-dl trigger. when I got it apart, the spring and the hole it goes in are way too small diameter for the pen spring. Any other ideas?
Cliff
Old 12-17-2011, 02:25 PM
knssrtrd
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I took apart my early 81 DL and a 25 MN the ballpoint spring thing did not work out. I cleaned them both real good and removed the burrs and high spots with a fine hone. Then reassembled them both. The triggers on both were vastly improved esp. the 25 MN which had the roughest trigger bits.
The 81 DL was pretty good already and now its good has my eighties model 70. Was thinkin on the 25 MN if I cut off a coil or two that be plenty good.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:27 AM
Big Shrek
US Army Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knssrtrd View Post
Well I took apart my early 81 DL and a 25 MN the ballpoint spring thing did not work out. I cleaned them both real good and removed the burrs and high spots with a fine hone. Then reassembled them both. The triggers on both were vastly improved esp. the 25 MN which had the roughest trigger bits.
The 81 DL was pretty good already and now its good has my eighties model 70. Was thinkin on the 25 MN if I cut off a coil or two that be plenty good.
When you polished the trigger, did you take it out and polish the inside of the area that holds the trigger & sear as well?

Lot of folks focus on the trigger/sear mating, and forget all about the other stuff it rubs against, especially what holds the trigger...
Great example is this bolt-action trigger...everyone forgets to polish the inside of the posts that hold the trigger/sear, which can be rough due to MFR'ing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2012, 12:08 AM
knssrtrd
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Roger on that fine hone to all surfaces and still looking for a pen spring that will work. I found the smoothing and applying a little modern synthetic grease really reduced the creepy trigger.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:24 PM
wpshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There are various places on Rimfire Central and on other firearms forums which suggest that it is the changes (either stronger spring or shimming the factory spring) to the SEAR spring on the T-900 trigger system of Marlin rifles that actually decreases the trigger pull weight and then there are other posts which say to NOT mess with the factory SEAR spring on the T-900 trigger system BUT that it is the changing (to a lighter spring) of the TRIGGER RETURN SPRING that makes a difference in the pull weight of the trigger.

Does anyone know which of these 2 different ideas is correct ???

Thanks.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:56 PM
Falstaff48

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacliff View Post
Last night, I tried to do the pen spring trick on my model 80-dl trigger. when I got it apart, the spring and the hole it goes in are way too small diameter for the pen spring. Any other ideas?
Cliff
I had the same issue with my 69 Glenfield model 25. I would be interested to see if anyone has a suggestion.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:27 PM
Bob4BVM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff48 View Post
I had the same issue with my 69 Glenfield model 25. I would be interested to see if anyone has a suggestion.
SUre enough. You have an old one like mine. Valve core spring is what you want. They are BETTER than the pen springs- lighter wire, and Stainless Steel !
See this thread for a pic, scroll down to Post#14.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=388523

Good shooting
Bob
Old 03-15-2012, 01:03 AM
Falstaff48

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob4BVM View Post
SUre enough. You have an old one like mine. Valve core spring is what you want. They are BETTER than the pen springs- lighter wire, and Stainless Steel !
See this thread for a pic, scroll down to Post#14.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=388523

Good shooting
Bob
Thanks. I'll give that a try tomorrow.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:05 PM
Falstaff48

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Update;

I was unable to locate a valve spring today. But I had remembered reading about someone who had used a Bic disposable lighter flint spring. I had an old one around the house and took it apart and sure enough, while a bit longer, it definitely appears to be the same size, though lighter (no pun intended). I cut it to size, installed it and the trigger is definitely much lighter. Gave it the stress test for safeties sake and no issues as yet. I take it out and test it this weekend.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:36 AM
alfacliff
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
circlip

if you loose your circlip, or other small hardware, try a hobby shop, planes or trains, some hobby shops have assortments of small hardware.
cliff
Old 04-16-2012, 08:58 PM
drifterfisher
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Just wanted to say thanks for the pen spring idea,I just got a 917V the other day and it shot great.Now I have a 2.75# trigger,it is the best in the house.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:24 AM
Bilzer01
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Marlin Model 781

I have a Marlin Model 781 and just ordered Items Ordered from Numrich Gun Parts Corp

435610 Trigger & Sear Spring $3.00

Was wondering to lighten the trigger pull is there anything else I need to be doing while I am installing the spring? Anything to polish while I am in there? Also is there a instruction manual or procedure to put the new spring in?
Old 06-09-2013, 08:49 PM
Fixed 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I cant find any of those PAPER MATE pens. I once saw a couple photos, or at least a list of the other pens/ pencils that had springs that worked.

Does anyone have that photo or the thread?

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2013, 10:17 PM
Big Shrek
US Army Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Do what the rest of the world does, go to a few banks/stores, kidnap a clicky pen at each one...use the one that fits best
Old 09-15-2013, 11:29 AM
johNTO

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I also performed the Papermate pen spring swap on my 981T.
I found the "new" trigger too light so ended up putting the OEM spring back in. I'm guessing shooting mostly stock trigger center-fire HG's is the reason.