Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-13-2003, 10:52 AM
ordinaryguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question P22 short vs. long barrel

I'm lusting after the short barreled p22, because all my other 22's have 5&1/2 - 6" barrels and are heavy. Does anyone owning these have any comments on the difference in accuracy between the long and short versions? I would mainly be using it for plinking. Thanks for your input!
Old 02-13-2003, 11:22 AM
Gordon Gauge
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've got the short barreled model, but have not had a chance to shoot the long barrel, although I have checked one out at the gun store. According to people that sell them, stick with the short barrel as the long barrel has only .4" of rifled barrel over the short one. This is not a target gun, and to make it look and feel like one kind of defeats its purpose.

Gordon Gauge
Old 02-13-2003, 01:59 PM
awp101
US Army Veteran

TX, home of DeeDee Snavely's Used Guns and Weapons
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have the shorty and prefer the feel of it over the long bbl.

But I'm odd anyway...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2003, 09:05 PM
iceman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the short barrel and I'm happy with my choice. I agree with Gordon this is not a target gun. It's a fun gun that is sharp looking and surprisingly accurate for its size. Another thing I didn't like about the long barrel was the aspect of more time and effort removing the stabilizer before the slide can be removed-I know I'm getting lazy !
Old 02-14-2003, 01:13 AM
Willamette

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I intended to buy both, the 3.4 and 5. After spending some time at the range and seeing that the pistol wasn't going to gain much with the longer barrel I opted to get a P99 .40 instead

I did purchase the 5" barrel kit from Impact Guns to change it to the longer barrel if needed.

IMHO, it's a great looking, comfortable, compact, nicely made, plinking gun. It's fun to shoot, but will never be as acurate as some of the other target model 22's, like the Rugers.
Old 02-17-2003, 01:50 PM
kbc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
From what I've heard from other P22 owners, the 5" barrel doesn't buy you much over the 3.42". If you have the money & want 'em both, go for it!
I decided to go with my 3.42" barrel only. It makes a nice training piece, especially for all the new shooters I have taken to the range. All have liked the P22, except one co-worker with very large hands. The P99 fit him well.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:59 PM
P7M8

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm a bit confused.....the one I saw had the barrel weight on the end, making it a 5 inch gun I guess...how do you switch back and forth if the sight is on the end of the weight...does the front sight change position also..?
Old 02-24-2003, 04:31 AM
Crete

Palan isi lena (also known as Europe in vernacular Polynesian)
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
P7M8,

To change the the front sight, use a screwdriver (or the supplied small Allen key pushing from the inside of the removed stabilizer), to press it out of its seat on the slide.

In order to install a sight on the receiver of the short-barrelled version, press out the filler plug and press in one of the three supplied sights #2, #3 or #4.

For 25m, I use the #2 front sight on the 5" version.

As long as:

1. You do your part;

2. With ammo the P22 Target likes;

3. The sight dots are aligned horizontally;

and

4. The space between the front sight post and the rear sight is consistent from one shot to the next,

then, most shots will land on the 8, 9 and 10 rings of a 50C standard pistol target at 25m, and would sometimes touch each other in a cluster/cloveleaf.

Concentrate on your technique first and foremost. Then everything else will fall into place.

The P22 Target is quite accurate in my hands, and I started shooting a pistol competitively only recently. Other shooters, more experienced than me, achieve better results the first time they handle the Target 5" version.

Crete
Old 02-24-2003, 11:20 AM
P7M8

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the info Crete.....I'll do my part....promise