Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:20 PM
jfarrell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BuckMark trigger work

I have a Browning BuckMark standard pistol. I would like to improve the trigger some for bullseye shooting. I have ordered a new trigger from Brownell's that has an overtravel stop screw. In addition I also ordered a "silhouette" sear spring with the thought that it is a lighter spring. I also ordered a sear spring adjusting screw. Will the silhouette sear spring "drop in"? and if so will it have any effect on reducing trigger pull. Can I install the sear spring adjusting screw in the frame of a standard BuckMark? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:05 PM
chim
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I can't tell you for sure if there's any difference in the strength of the two sear springs but I kinda doubt that there is. Without disassembling a couple pistols to tell for sure, I believe the difference may be the length of the leg on the spring.

The Silhouette (and a couple other models) have an adjustment screw that preloads the sear spring. There is a nominal amount of difference from one end of the adjustment limit to the other. The frames of these pistols have a tapped hole hidden by the rear end of the slide. It is angled so an allen wrench can access it without slide removal.

The adjustment screw has a dish on the end inside the gun that the leg of the sear spring rides in. There's also what appears to be a piece of drill rod that limits the distance the screw can be backed out.

Installing that screw would require some pretty precise drilling for the tapped hole........................chim
Old 03-09-2007, 09:46 PM
SteveinAK
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'll let you guys know in a few days. I ordered a Sillouette sear spring for the heck of it, since it was only $2 and change. Unfortunately, I ordered an over-travel adjustable trigger as well, but they are back-ordered at Brownells. Hopefully they'll be in stock soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2007, 10:39 PM
CraigC
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Unfortunately the Buckmark is not a pistol for which aftermarket drop-in (or factory) are available that will significantly enhance the trigger. Even if you can get the weight down, the pull tends not to feel as light as it is. Insert the services of a professional gunsmith.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:57 PM
chim

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Polishing parts and adjusting the OT screw can make a substantial difference. The main thing is to smooth and polish things - not change shapes or remove material................chim
Old 03-10-2007, 02:32 PM
SteveinAK
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Yeah, it would be nice if there was a drop in sear and hammer for the BM. Unfortunately, there isn't, so as Chim said, quite a bit can be done by polishing the hammer and sear engagement surfaces. Fortunately for me, I don't require a gunsmith. The sear spring for the Silhouette BM is just an experiment. I was already placing a Brownells order, and figured what the heck, I'll give it a try.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:52 PM
Heggis

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you are getting a "spare" sear spring, you could try this. Bend the sear spring and put it in backwards. With this and not polishing the surfaces or anything I could get a 1.8lb trigger and worked for 7000 rounds without cleaning and firing with a suppressor. Just don't bend it too much because the sear is then too slow. More of a trial and error. Don't know how much lighter I could still get it by bending more but I'm happy the way it's now.

Pictures how it's in place
http://www.perfect-s.net/kuva/buckma...55-01_1000.jpg
http://www.perfect-s.net/kuva/buckma...56-01_1000.jpg
http://www.perfect-s.net/kuva/buckma...58-01_1000.jpg

Pictures of the bends
http://www.perfect-s.net/kuva/buckma...62-01_1000.jpg
http://www.perfect-s.net/kuva/buckma...63-01_1000.jpg
Old 03-10-2007, 08:02 PM
chim

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Neat idea, and very nice pics.................chim
Old 03-10-2007, 09:51 PM
SteveinAK

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Cool! I'll try that tonite before I go to the range. Thanks!
Old 03-10-2007, 10:41 PM
SteveinAK

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Real quick update- I just tried it, and in conjuction with previous work I've done on the sear and hammer, I'm sitting at 40oz pull (2.5lbs) and it feels good. I'll shoot it tonite and give ya'll a range report. Great tip Heggis! Thanks!
Old 03-11-2007, 03:18 AM
SteveinAK

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
OK- Functions perfectly, no hammer follow or doubles. Trigger is great and I checked again after shooting, still a hair over 2.5 lbs. Great tip Heggis!
Old 03-11-2007, 04:32 AM
Zen900

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinAK View Post
OK- Functions perfectly, no hammer follow or doubles. Trigger is great and I checked again after shooting, still a hair over 2.5 lbs. Great tip Heggis!

My Camper model has a 69 oz trigger pull. I will try the sear spring mod this week. I would really love to lower the pull by 50%.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Heggis

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Glad I could help The searspring is way too heavy if you ask me when it comes from the factory. Ofcourse they had in mind that people usually dont disassamble their guns and clean from inside every 10000 rounds. So that may be one reason.

Add a trigger with overtravel screw and it should be good to go Need to get one for myself but due to where I live the cost of ordering is way too much. So homesmithing job. Have a block ready to be dremeled but if I just could find the time...
Old 03-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Zen900

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just tried the sear spring trick by Heggis. Now I can tell people that I have a sub 40 oz trigger on my Camper and a guy from Finland showed me how to do it. How do I say thanks in Finnish?
Old 03-11-2007, 09:38 PM
SteveinAK

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Good stuff, huh?