Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-09-2003, 08:30 PM
DougJr.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Info on new Thompson Center Rimfire Rifle

I was in one of my sporting shops today and I inquired if they knew of any new Thompson Center rimfire rifles. They told me that they had already sold one of the two they had ordered and that it was called "Thompson Center Classic Match". It has a heavy target barrell, much shorter than the original, and it supposedly has all the nice wood as the original classic. I also asked them about the retail price and they said the price they were getting was $430. This shop is traditionally higher priced so I would have to say that this gun could be picked up in the $400 range. They said from what they have seen of this piece in the Thompson line, it was going to be an excellent addition. The real big news that I have is that it comes with a standard 10 shot magazine. I hope this additional news about the Thompson's new addition is helpful to those interested.
DougJr.
Old 01-10-2003, 02:03 AM
austin870
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I don't really get it. The first TC Classic was "match" grade chamber and barrel. It had a 3.5lb trigger and was $270. Carry it in the field all day and shoot if from the bench some. Nice pretty little 22lr auto.

They should have made this new gun in .17HMR or something more exciting. IMO
Old 01-21-2003, 08:47 PM
Einer VonMeaner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The plain Jane Thompson shoots so well already that I am hard pressed to imagine a use for the match version?
Marketing departments sure are busy developing newer but not necessarily better things. If they wanted to make the 22 classic better, simply a no iron sight version with a good synthetic stock would be where I would start.
I agree with Doug I think the 17 rimfire would also be a slick little number...I'd buy one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2003, 10:00 PM
PlumberjimC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think a better trigger, especially an adjustable one, makes a lot more sense than a heavy bbl. Compared with how the one I have shoots already, what's the point.
Einer, you are probably right. Their marketing dept. saw all of the bull bbl 10-22s out there and thought they just had to jump on the bandwagon.

BFHD -- big fat hairy deal
Old 01-24-2003, 12:57 AM
austin870
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I like the synthetic stock idea even though the walnut gives these Classics the old Browning feeling and look. It is a big factor in causing barrel/action movement. The Classic is kind of loosely bedded to say the least. I don't like the way it just kind of pivots on a flat piece of wood where the barrel and action seat into the stock. Then it is supposed to be free floated despite the "pad" looking thing at the end of the stock. Synthetic may give it more consistant support at that important pivot spot.

I don't get the adjustable trigger thing. Has anyone heard what the low setting is? TC is a very conservative company and is not going any place near where full auto engages. I believe the area of liability to be anything under 3lbs. The current Classic at 3.5lb is fine for hunting and range work. I guess some of the Classics are a little over 4lbs, just luck of the draw. I believe full auto engages on most around 2.5lbs. Where are you going to go for match trigger performance? Who wants higher settings for anything?

The Ruger guys do all kinds of Mickey Mouse spring things etc to get below 3lbs but that is home made and look out. No factory is going to go on that liability turf.