Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-13-2019, 05:20 AM
NHcollector2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Remington 550-1 cleaning.

A new episode of Milsurp Garage has some information on this topic, he mentions another YouTuber who goes into more detail on the floating chamber these rifles have that allows them to function with .22 Short, Long, and Long Rifle ammo. I don't have one of those rifles but if one presents itself at a local shop I might be more inclined to pick on up. There is some Carbine Williams DNA in the rifle.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:38 AM
sandog
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
The 550-1 was the first .22 owned, handed down to me.
It is the only semi auto I've shot in the last 50 years that was very lefty unfriendly.
It peppered me with bits of burnt ( and probably some unburnt) powder particles.
It had been my Father's step dads, and when he passed away, my Father shot it a bunch and then my older brother before I got it.

The slamming of the bolt going back had stripped out the plug that screws into the back of the receiver.
My Dad took it to a gunsmith, who drilled and tapped a hole on either side for a couple screws to hold the plug in.
After a while the bolt coming back had bent the reinforcing screws back and stripped them out.

It was very accurate, I never remember shooting shorts in it though, only LR's.
I would not want another 550-1 if someone gave it to me for free.
I really like my 552 though ! I had it out again yesterday.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:53 AM
skwerl58
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My experience with the 550-1 has been much better than previous post. I have a 69 year of production that is a great shooter and more accurate than my 552. I took it apart when I first got it and gave it a great cleaning. Do not remove the sear cup it is a beast to replace. No I did not remove mine because I followed instructions from the great people here at RFC. Hope you find one soon and enjoy it for years to come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2019, 11:52 AM
mgbmeyer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have also had good luck with my 550-1. It was the gun I learned to shoot on as a kid, and my Dad passed it down to me about 15 years ago. I am left handed, but it doesn't spray my face with powder any worse than any other semi auto rifle or shotgun. Mine has the deflector shield still in place. The only issue I have had with mine was it kicking hot shells out into the crook of my right arm. I just learned to keep my arm tucked under when shooting it. I shoot both long rifle and shorts in it, and it will even cycle the CCI CB subsonic shorts (710 fps). These are quieter than a pellet gun - the only thing you hear is the action cycle.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:27 PM
chuckbiscuits

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
I just picked one up yesterday with a nice vintage 1903 leather sling and a brand new SKB soft case. 1953 production. $125 at an estate sale. 😬
Old 10-13-2019, 09:06 PM
sandog
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I didn't know until recently that there was a blast shield for the 550. Had there been holes, or screws and no shield perhaps we'd have known to look for one.
If my 552 didn't have the shield maybe it wouldn't be so nice for this lefty.
Of course my Dad and brother were right handed so they weren't bothered by the 550-1

Then there was still the stripped out receiver plug thing.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:13 PM
SHOVELHEAD82
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
After waffling back and forth for a year (yep) I bought one that was on the rack at a LGS that I occasionally work at. It needed a home. April 1952 build date, deflector present and the sear screw was still factory staked in place with no signs of it ever being touched. Pretty clean rifle in and out, the gunsmith and I both went over it pretty carefully. I paid a bit more than the estate sale rifle mentioned earlier but still not bad for what it was.

I've found no negatives with the rifle on it's range days. The only thing is that I have not used Shorts in it yet, need to try that out.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:33 PM
chuckbiscuits

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
So I purchased this thing with like 30 seconds of “research” whilst the sharks circled around me. Hopefully, it’s a keeper and not a fleabag...🤓

While I had heard of the “floating chamber”, to say I was familiar with it would have been erroneous. That being said, there is nothing (honestly) that I can not fix. So there’s that...🤩

Either way, wish me luck!!🥴
Old 10-15-2019, 03:20 PM
killerv

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have fun, when cleaning...don't touch that screw on the bottom of the receiver, hopefully the one you have hasn't been messed with. Neat auto to have that can shoot 22 shorts. I paid 125 for mine, looked rough but actually cleaned up really nice
Old 10-16-2019, 10:07 AM
dead meat

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like the one I picked up earlier this year, great shooter. I carried one for many miles when I was a lot younger chasing gophers and rabbits. They hold 21 shorts if you can find any, not many shops stock them in my area.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:42 PM
12Step

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I own 2 550-1s and my GF has a 552. One of the 550s I inherited from my father. I hadn't shot it for years, and apparently neither had he. He preferred his Winchester 62 Pump. I had some feeding issues as well as trigger issues. Pulled the bolt, cleaned everything as best I could. Feeding was much improved but the trigger was still not catching every few rounds. Last night I bought a can of spray cleaner/lube and flooded the trigger/sear area three times and let it drain overnight. Today, 50 rounds ran through it without a glitch. A bit busy at the range so I ended up in the 100 meter range. Put it on a sled and was grouping sub MOA with CCI Mini-Mags. One group came up .4 MOA with a 5 shot group. Would get occasional flyers, but that got better as things settled in.

Both of the 550s are more accurate than the 552. The 552 is burdened with a pretty pathetic scope, the 550s are iron. The second 550 I just picked up at a gun shop for $125 as well. When accuracy is really needed, I go to the Rangemaster.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:50 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Speaking from a lefty perspective I have never had any problem with blowback particles from my 550-1, but mine does have a shield. Like the others here mine is accurate and kicks my 552's butt accuracy wise. The biggest problem areas with this model to me seems to be cleaning and a mediocre trigger(not bad and not good). I really like the one piece walnut stock and the fact that it just feels like a full size rifle.

John
Old 11-12-2019, 10:04 AM
dnlwthrn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I inherited my grandfather's 550-1 recently. Its enjoyable to shoot, fairly quiet even when shooting LR. One thing I've noticed with mine is that the plug (?) at the back of the receiver seems to work loose while shooting. After 10-15 rounds, I have to tighten it back up. I haven't broken things down to figure out what's going on yet, that may happen this winter.

Also, mine seems to shoot high. Like 2-1/2" high at 50ft. I'll try to upload a photo, but suffice to say that I had to hold just below the target ring in order to hit center on the target. Rear sight is all the way down, no further adjustment possible. I'm contemplating swapping the front sight for a taller one.