Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:15 PM
martinigallery
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Winchester 69A Magazine Feed Issue

I normally shoot CCI-SV in my problem child (screwed up bedding) 69A. Today, for the first time ever, I had issues with failures to feed from the magazine. The magazine is marked W which I think is aftermarket but I've not had any issues with it and CCI-SV previously. Examination of the magazine showed that bullets were getting jammed up inside the magazine and the tips of the bullets that wouldn't feed show rub marks on the end of the bullets. I cleaned the magazine but the problem did not go away.

In this instance I had pulled a 100 round plastic box of CCI-SV as it had risen to the top. Previously, I had used rounds from the 50 round paper boxes. I have had both for several years. I measured the overall cartridge length of the next five of the plastic box rounds and they measured. 0.997" to 1.002". I dug around until I found another paper box and measured the overall length of the first five rounds and they measured 0.980"-0.988"

Has anyone else ran into this with CCI-SV or other brands of 22 cartridges too long for the magazine of their 69A?
Old 12-03-2019, 09:32 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
Common problem with CCI SV. It is usually caused by the wax on the bullet. Try hosing out the magazine with brake cleaner or hold the follower down out of the way and swab the part where the bullet noses rub with solvent or acetone. wipe the wax off the bullet tips also. Or they may just be to long?

Last edited by HUSHKABOOM; 12-03-2019 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:42 PM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinigallery View Post
... The magazine is marked W which I think is aftermarket but I've not had any issues with it ...
The W marked magazines are in fact aftermarket. That's all I can add to the dilemma.
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2019, 10:39 PM
HectorFuego

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Are you using 5 or 10 round magazines?

Hector
Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM
XLIV

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
W marked mags are usually as good and reliable as factory. Some aftermarket mags i.e. pro master have issues. The suggestion to clean off bullet lube is worthy. Also check to see if the rifleís action is seated correctly and that the action screw isnít too tight or too loose.
As pointed out, 10 round mags are prone to occasional feed problems.

Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM
martinigallery

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
The magazine is a 5 round and has been thoroughly cleaned of lube. The bedding on this rifle is messed up and I corrected 90% of the bedding issue by adding a pressure point near. the end of the forend to stablize this action in the stock. The action is largely free floated paat the take down boss. Thanks for the suggestions. Randy
Old Yesterday, 11:40 AM
wmrike

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Most of the time the W magazines work well for me. I have had no issues with the intermal configuration or with the lips. However, the little nub on the side that holds the mag in place is not as well formed as it is on a Winchester product, and sometimes the W magazine does not quite sit properly in its well. This condition is more pronounced in my 69A, not at all in my 52.
Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinigallery
I measured the overall cartridge length of the next five of the plastic box rounds and they measured. 0.997" to 1.002". I dug around until I found another paper box and measured the overall length of the first five rounds and they measured 0.980"-0.988".
For reference, SAAMI spec for 22lr cartridges is 0.950"-1.000". It's hard to believe 2 thousandths over max would be a problem, but it's possible.
Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM
martinigallery

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I have a couple of other magazines on my other 69A'S and could try them when I get back into town as well as the shorter cartridges. The magazine doesn't fit tightly enough in the well but the cartridges jam up down inside the magazine when loading. I suspect it's caused by the cartridge length being too long for this particular magazine exacerbated by a heavy lube job on these particular bullets.