The grand old 30-06 - Page 6 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-12-2019, 05:32 AM
NF1E
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Who got credit for inventing a round wheel?
Old 10-12-2019, 09:56 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Mauser was a genius.

Most reasonably knowledgeable people in firearms agree that his extractor design is the ultimate in reliability for bolt action rifles. It doesnít matter what you call it, it is more reliable. There are other advantages such as if you short stoke a push feed bolt, it will eject the empty cartridge without picking up the next one.

Mauserís design (let's call it CRF for simplicity) doesnít release the spent cartridge case unless it is pulled all the way back, which means if it ejects it will pick up the next one. For 99%+ of the shooters and hunters this wonít matter. For those hunting dangerous game it may matter. For soldiers in war, many years ago, it was important.

For todayís usage, CRF isnít necessary for most people. I have many of both and just bought a NIB Winchester Model 70 XTR that is push feed. I like it a lot. Having said that, if I had the choice between my XTR and a Pre 64 Model 70, I would take the pre 64 every time. The problem is the cost.

Back to the original topic, the 30-06 is one of my all time favorites. The only reason I prefer to buy other centerfire calibers is because for specific purposes other calibers have advantages. However, if I could only have one centerfire rifle caliber, the 30-06 would probably be the one. It is the most versatile round that I can think of. I can even use accelerator rounds in it. My rifle choice would be either a FN Supreme Action rifle in 30-06 or a pre 1964 Winchester Model 70 in 30-06.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:11 PM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Last Christmas my wife bought me "Classic O'Connor" in a published limited edition of 1000, mine is 927. The articles from "Outdoor Life" were edited by Jim Casadra. I have read it cover to cover at least twice, and will probably leave it out now to read again.

"Outdoor Life" and "Field & Stream" were my reading material from the early 1950's and still read today. O'Connor's exploits with the .270 in the hunting magazines of the day were what made me buy a Savage 110L in .270 in 1960. I was a freshman in college at the time. I hand loaded and have shot that rifle right up to the present day. From wood chucks to crows to deer, elk, bear and goat, I have never felt the need for another rifle.

I bought my teenage son a 110 in .270 when he was big enough to start deer hunting with me when he was in high school around 1995 or so. He still uses his for deer here in Ga.

In all fairness, I did buy my daughter a .243 for her first deer rifle 4 years ago. And my son bought his son a .243 a few years ago as well.

VH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2019, 08:13 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Almost a 30-06 but my Rem 25-06 was my carefully chosen do it all rifle for North America's game and varmint animals of less fortitude than our grizzlies.

Being in my 70s I too remember reading of Jack with his favored 270....that and him roasting fresh sheep ribs over an open fire.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:38 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I have a 270 in a H&R Ultra FN Mauser bolt action rifle. I love it.

My favorite deer rifle is a 243 in Winchester pre 64 featherweight rifles.

I enjoy my 308s in several different platforms.

When I think about it, they are all spin offs of the old 30-06.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:11 PM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Being in my 70s I too remember reading of Jack with his favored 270....that and him roasting fresh sheep ribs over an open fire.
Of course you roast them, and as soon as possible. It's either that or pack them out. Most people don't realize how big a ram is.