Got Garand? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:13 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Got Garand?

Just curious, how many of you have a Garand and do you still shoot it?
Old 09-22-2019, 12:23 PM
PokeyOkie
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Definitely! I used to have 5 but I'm down to one and shoot it occasionally. It's not cheap to take to the range but the gentlest .30-06 I have and so much fun.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:29 PM
goretro22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes I do, purchased from the CMP, I shot it once and have purchased more ammo, clips and can't wait for the next range outing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ezskrrn26r...%20PM.jpg?dl=0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2019, 12:30 PM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Yep, bucket list gun for years until I finally found a Springfield Armory reworked International Harvester example with some National Match parts at a Tanner Show in the 90's. Best $400 I ever spent on a gun. Not real pretty but she's a shooter. Been a few years since I took her out. I should, there's something very satisfying about 8 rounds of ought six rapid fire offhand with the "ting" of the clip flying out at the end.

Frank
Old 09-22-2019, 01:03 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I purchased mine from the CMP as well - a SA that was re-barreled with new wood. Also a good supply of ammo for it. I admit I do not shoot it as often as I would like but have had several range sessions and plan on many more. Your post reminds me I need to schedule a "Military" day at the range soon.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:08 PM
Rhody
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
On my bucket list too! I've always wanted one!!!

R
Old 09-22-2019, 01:09 PM
wmrike

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I used one for high power decades ago. As PokieOkie said, they are sweet operators. You can shoot them all day long. Earlier this year I got mine out for the first time in a long while. It's like hooking up with an old friend.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:56 PM
Rychek
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't fire it as much as I would like, but I do have one and it works wonderfully well with the reloads that came with it (gift from a family member). It is in my top three favorite rifles in my collection.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:29 PM
HectorFuego

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Garand and an 03A3 Springfield purchased from CMP, but haven't been out shooting long guns for a while.

Of the two, the 03A3 is my favorite. It has the smoothest bolt action I've ever used, and I'm a bolt gun guy. Interesting story about that one. I had been thinking about an 03A3 for a while and had been watching the CMP site. Something told me they were running low on them, so I got the documentation together and place the order. Before the order was acknowledged they posted a "sold out" notice on the site. I knew they had some original 03's left and thought I could probably sub one of those, but just a few days CMP sent me an acknowledgement. Bottom line, I think I got one of the last 03A3's CMP ever sold.

The Garand is one of those guns that, once you have one, you never want to let it go. Although it's big and heavy, I look at it as my SHTF gun.

Hector
Old 09-22-2019, 03:07 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not quite sure what this is about, but; anyone thinking about Garands should look at the CMP. They sell direct to the public and FREE ship RIGHT TO YOUR DOOR. Thats right, no FFL all you need is a USA birth certificate and proof of membership in a CMP affiliated club. Clubs are all over the country. I think veterans and maybe some other groups can qualify without the club affiliation. That is about as easy at it gets.

For price and condition, all I can say is: amazing. The grading verbiage has me at a loss, the $750 grade M1 Garands are really nice guns. Good all around internal and external, everything nice. Never civilian bozo messed with. Good bores. Any rebuild or repair is honest military work. The current guns are returned by the Philippines. You can request a WWII vintage gun. You can pay $100 less if you are cheap and take your chances. You can spend an extra $100 for a Winchester. Why? You can also buy a like new rebuilt grand, with a criterion barrel with a new parker finish in a new walnut stock for less than 1/2 a comparable Fulton Amory.

You get a certificate, manual and hard case with CMP logo. Pretty good case all included.

For $35 you get Korean vintage bayonet. That is $50 on ebay. Also can order a new GI spec sling or surplus sling. The sweaty old surplus canvas sling is $15. I like the new ones.

You can also visit the CMP stores in Ohio or Georgia, same price. The CMP also sets up a temporary sales room at various national matches all across the country.

Dont be scared, this is the easiest way to buy and buy right. I see Garands sell for $1500 at cabelas that dont come close to the current CMP 750 grade guns.

(look for service grade, $750)

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/
Old 09-22-2019, 05:28 PM
Tailwheel

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Iíve got one. A buddy volunteered for a weekend and got to hand pick his from Anniston CMP. I ended up with it years later. Iíve not shot it ever. Iíd like to and have ammo and clips for it. Just havenít gotten around to it in 20 years. In fact most of my collection is that way. Four letter word that starts with W and ends in K keeps me busy.

Patrick
Old 09-22-2019, 05:45 PM
schutzen-jager

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
yes - got mine from DCM , $69.90 + shipping -

[They sell direct to the public and FREE ship RIGHT TO YOUR DOOR. Thats right, no FFL all you need is a USA birth certificate and proof of membership in a CMP affiliated club. Clubs are all over the country. I think veterans and maybe some other groups can qualify without the club affiliation. That is about as easy at it gets. ]

[ FYI - CMP ships direct to individuals in certain states only - others have to go thru FFL's only - check with the CMP
Old 09-22-2019, 06:15 PM
Szumi
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have one. Rebarreled, bedded, NM sights added. Shot it in NRA Highpower back in the late 90's. I haven't given it much love lately. Also have a 1903-A3 and military rifles from other countries.

If you like your Constitution, you can keep your Constitution.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:19 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Certain states huh. Why am I not surprised? One state even opted out of the 1911 sale.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:35 PM
scooter22

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I don't but my son does and I get to shoot it. Nice almost matching SA except for the IHC(?) op rod. Some people told him that maker is rare and to find a SA and sell it. I just like to shoot it. He's been shooting all my guns so I get to shoot one of his. "Bout Time"

"The Garand is one of those guns that, once you have one, you never want to let it go. Although it's big and heavy, I look at it as my SHTF gun. Sure Heavy Though Fun.[

Last edited by scooter22; 09-22-2019 at 06:40 PM.