Hate to just throw it out....no pic TV - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:21 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

But....from what Ive seen of the way that is done 'overseas' it gives me pause for thought.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:10 PM
scooter22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Too bad it wasn't something simple but electronics go bad. But ya jinxed me. My 20 year old gas clothes dryer stopped heating last night so I have to pull it apart. I hope it's one of the simple things like fuse or igniter. Picked up the 3 most probable parts on lunch. I can return what I don't need. I have to pick up some cold ones for me.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:23 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I had to do the dryer thing late last fall. Sadly, the parts expense was a waste because at the age/use it was basically worn out.
After a week of working on it every day for an hour or two I bought a new one on sale a rejoiced at my good sense (and now dry clothes).
Btw, stuck the old one out by the road with a 'FREE for Parts' sign taped on and it was hauled away within an hour!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2019, 02:28 PM
koonta

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Around here we have Staples, I went there for my last printer and they said they'll take anything, monitors, cords, what have ya. that was nice to find out.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:46 PM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
My Samsung went out. Trouble shoot, internet suggestions, no soap. Went and got another TV at Best Buy. Sales guy there said most of the new TVs only last 2 to 5 years, it's just the nature of the beast. Do get the extended warranty. I do know the kids had all kinds of game devices hooked to it, and someone put a "magic" USB channel receiving device that heated up a little too much. Yikes! Went cheap this time with a Sharp (smart tv) brand. I'll let the g-kids hook up games, to their TV - not the large one in the den. I like the smart TV features, but it does go a little crazy now and then. Reboot and it is OK. We'll see ......... AH
Old 08-05-2019, 02:49 PM
scooter22

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Chances it's one of the parts I picked up so the most I'll have into it is 25.00 plus my evening and some beer. Only other thing I replaced was the drum belt about 5 years ago. Looks like a hula hoop size Oring. I can,t believe that turns that big drum full of wet clothes.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:13 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Mine was a thin flat belt, same thought! And it had some deep cross checks, so...once in/in for a grand? I 'pulled the plug'. If the new one lasts 20 (may be a 'big if' nowadays) it is the last one I'll ever buy.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:29 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr GAP View Post
For the do it yourself-er.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPGkPrhBvBo

Or just take it to best buy , pay them $25 and be done with it.
Bravo, Mr GAP!

That's far simpler than I'd have thought (if your issue is an LED light gone bad). The main difficulty is carefully taking the set apart and carefully putting it back together.

I had only read about TV sets for several hours prior and until now had never seen a "Backlight" wow simpler than I envisioned!

P. S. Those "Series" wired Christmas Tree Lights (for those who watched the video) go way back.....gotta turn the "Way Back" machine on full!
Old 08-05-2019, 05:31 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was at Lowes a couple of years ago, waiting at the checkout and one of the employees rolls out a cart with a top of the line gas dryer on it....A $1,500 version. He asks the customers who were waiting if any one was interested in it and all the other stuff he had on the cart. Said, I'll take $800 for the whole thing. Most people turned away but I needed a new one for the farm. I asked what is wrong with it. Nothing he said, apparently no one wants a gas dryer. I have propane at the farm and knew it was a simple conversion. $400 he asks. I'll give you $200 I said but I don't want the other stuff. I'll take $200 but you have to take the other stuff with it. We loaded it into the truck. There was some useful stuff in the other boxes, GFI wall sockets, light switches but most of it I gave away or threw away. And that is how the farm house has a fancy new dryer.

Some time ago my washer stopped working properly. Dropped by the parts store. I asked do these things still have the automotive type points in the dial. The guy laughed, nah, those haven't been made in 40 years. Hmmmm, I thought, sure feels like points to me. So I took the top off and had a look. Sure enough, a number of contact points just like on any old '60's car. I gave em all a touch up with a piece of folded emery paper just like in the old days, blew off the dust, put it back together and it began working properly again. Some things you can fix....some things you just need to walk from. 1917
Old 08-05-2019, 06:17 PM
bangbang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
not sure if you are interested or not.

but you can google for a possible fix if you want. Sometimes if its a "know" issue or a "common issue" whatever that is, then someone may have the electronics know how and have fixed them.

at work we use some large TVs as displays and one that died like your was going home with an employee until it got dropped.

But they had done some research on the model and they knew their electronic stuff.

If you dont want to deal with it, if you have any local community colleges with electronics courses and maybe a student will want a nice TV to try and fix.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:39 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
It is a 2014 LED version. Same as the new one. I looked at a number of videos regarding this. I too wondered, setting or TV or cable supplier. I did hard resets of everything. No joy. Sound worked, channel change worked....everything but the picture. BTW, this isn't unique to Samsung. There are many u-tube videos on this.

The one test I kept seeing was to turn off the lights and shine a bright flash light across the screen at about a 45 degree angle. If you can see the picture very dimly it is a lighting issue. Another test is to look down the rear of the TV, lights off and see if you can see the lit LED bulbs. Nope, none lit. Not even dimly. There are three circuit boards on the back of the metal backing...they aren't big but they are circuit boards full of mysterious stuff.

One of the tests to determine if it is cable or TV is to hit the menu button. That is TV specific and if it won't light....TV problem. Apparently it does not rely on your cable stuff. I talked to cable people. They walked me through some stuff. So did Samsung. Apparently I have a problem with the board that powers the LED strips. But, the problem might be somewhere else and although many years ago I put a Heathkit tuner amp together and it actually worked and have multi meters....this is too much for me to diagnose.

I unhooked all the wiring harness and rehooked, wiggled everything. Pretty amazing how a 30 wire harness can be easily unhooked and then be precisely locked back in...but, no joy here either. I buttoned it back up. Used parts are not too expensive...unless you need to purchase all of them. Then you are into the $100-$150 range plus all of your time. Getting it repaired quickly runs more than the thing is worth. New parts....might as well purchase a new TV with a warranty. You can't get much service done these days for the cost of a new, larger one at $327.

So, there the thing sits, looking brand new, but still black. I'm sure someone could fix it, but I haven't got time to fool with it. Replacing transistors, capacitors, etc., nah. There are no conventional fuses. I would not have recognized the fuses for fuses without looking at the videos. They are soldered to the boards. I think there are five. Looking at them and I can't even tell if they are bad.

Too big for the garbage can....there are a lot of useful parts on it like the screen, plastic bezel, stand and probably some parts. So, what to do. I doubt Habitat for Humanity wants it. Not sure the garbage people will even take it. Might put it at the end of the drive with a "Free TV, no picture". Or, "Don't steal this TV". And see how fast it becomes some else's problem. If there were trade schools anymore perhaps they would want it. The thing ran almost 16 hours a day. My wife just leaves it on. I guess we got our money out of it. I rarely watch it. Might make a good target for patterning one of the shotguns. 1917
Good Job, so far.

Now the fun part.

I now you've got a multi meter, and can check for conductivity.

Here's what I'm thinking.

It'd probably be astronomical odds for all of the leds to go out at once.

I'm guessing they aren't getting power.

Check for power at the leads to the led array.

If you ain't got none, work upstream until you do.

I'm hoping you're going to find a fuse that's blown.

You could bring it to Bestbuy, and pay them the $25, but what's the fun in that?

By the way. I'm a fair carpenter. Can do minor plumbing. I can put together guns I didn't take apart. I ain't no how, nor no way, an electrical literate person.

I suggest you ground yourself to the cat, so if you get electrocuted, you don't die alone.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:01 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Shocking, just shocking ....
I know enough to not get anywhere near anything that looks like a capacitor! Dont know if these newer tv's have such a thing, think I would research that online a bit; ie, whats inside that could bite me?

Last edited by gcrank1; 08-05-2019 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:39 PM
scooter22

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Success! 1 hour and 3 beers. (son 1, 2 me) Thermal fuse on the duct popped. I haven't cleaned it out in a decade. Build up of lint must have made it get too hot with a full load of towels. 14.00 buck fuse. Other parts get returned tomorrow.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:47 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Didn't know a dryer had any such part.....learned something already. I haven't got time to fool with this TV. Wish I had at least one of my game cameras here. Think I will put it at the end of one of the drives with a "Free" sign and see how long it lasts. Told my wife that I wish I had saved the new box. I'd put it in there, tape it up and lay it out by the street like someone lost it....see how long it sat there before someone grabbed it. Game camera getting a video of the action. 1917
Old 08-05-2019, 09:38 PM
scooter22

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Scrappers will pick it up. Around here if it's metal, especially something with copper it's gone.