Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-04-2019, 03:46 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hate to just throw it out....no pic TV

A 46" Samsung TV went black the other day. Everything works but the picture....and it is there if you shine a flashlight across the screen. Looks brand new, even the remote since we use the cable provider remote. You can't fix these things unless you do it yourself. The parts are cheap enough and speaking of parts....there are only three small circuit boards on the back of the whole big contraption. A new and larger make of the same TV is $327 and comes with a warranty. So what do you do with an old TV like this? It even has a center stand which almost none of the new units have. 1917
Old 08-04-2019, 03:57 PM
dlong
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Funny, my wife just yelled up from the basement that our old 27 tube toshiba TV just bit the dust. She would watch that TV while ironing. Gonna be a PITA to get rid of. Pretty sure I have a spares flat screen in the attic from one of the kids rooms after they moved out.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:00 PM
scooter22

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Go into the menu and look for the Back Light, Brightness and Contrast adjustments. Maybe they got turned down or reset to zero from a electric surge or thunder storm. Weird things happen to the adjustments when they are electronically held. Not like the old pots with knobs on the front of the TVs. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2019, 04:27 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The first thing I would do is plug in another TV and make sure its not the box or cable. I mean another TV that uses the same cable.

I hope this is taken in the spirit it is given, but; my 2nd step would be google or samsung website. Like the prior post suggested it could be some setup thing or fuse ? No idea, but; no doubt - you wont be the first person to have this problem.

These Samsung seem rock solid. You are right to be asking.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:45 PM
scooter22

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
An additional though is some models also have a Night or Bedroom mode where the brightness is dropped way down where you can hardly see it in daylight. Look for that also.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:52 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
I bought a 46" Samsung 2 or 3 years ago, it developed the same problem. I called them and a tech led me through the steps to reset it, it has something to do with a "nighttime" or "dark room" setting which automatically dims the picture just like Scooter's description above.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:56 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When you shine a light across and see the TV working you must be seeing the LCD, Liquid Crystal Display portion of the set still functioning. It must be your LED, Light Emitting Diode "Back Lighted" portion of the set that is not functioning the way it should.

Likely some good advice above as when one unit (whatever it happens to be) has this problem usually many more share this malfunction.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:13 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nobody has asked how old this tv is, and what technology it's using.
Is it a flat screen LCD, or a Plasma.
Heck from the comment "the whole big contraption" could mean it's an old DLP projection set sitting on its matching stand.

Anyway all of the night modes would not dim the picture to the point that you can't see it.

Need a few detail here.

Smooth
Old 08-04-2019, 11:11 PM
Mr GAP
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For the do it yourself-er.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPGkPrhBvBo

Or just take it to best buy , pay them $25 and be done with it.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:39 AM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It is a 2014 LED version. Same as the new one. I looked at a number of videos regarding this. I too wondered, setting or TV or cable supplier. I did hard resets of everything. No joy. Sound worked, channel change worked....everything but the picture. BTW, this isn't unique to Samsung. There are many u-tube videos on this.

The one test I kept seeing was to turn off the lights and shine a bright flash light across the screen at about a 45 degree angle. If you can see the picture very dimly it is a lighting issue. Another test is to look down the rear of the TV, lights off and see if you can see the lit LED bulbs. Nope, none lit. Not even dimly. There are three circuit boards on the back of the metal backing...they aren't big but they are circuit boards full of mysterious stuff.

One of the tests to determine if it is cable or TV is to hit the menu button. That is TV specific and if it won't light....TV problem. Apparently it does not rely on your cable stuff. I talked to cable people. They walked me through some stuff. So did Samsung. Apparently I have a problem with the board that powers the LED strips. But, the problem might be somewhere else and although many years ago I put a Heathkit tuner amp together and it actually worked and have multi meters....this is too much for me to diagnose.

I unhooked all the wiring harness and rehooked, wiggled everything. Pretty amazing how a 30 wire harness can be easily unhooked and then be precisely locked back in...but, no joy here either. I buttoned it back up. Used parts are not too expensive...unless you need to purchase all of them. Then you are into the $100-$150 range plus all of your time. Getting it repaired quickly runs more than the thing is worth. New parts....might as well purchase a new TV with a warranty. You can't get much service done these days for the cost of a new, larger one at $327.

So, there the thing sits, looking brand new, but still black. I'm sure someone could fix it, but I haven't got time to fool with it. Replacing transistors, capacitors, etc., nah. There are no conventional fuses. I would not have recognized the fuses for fuses without looking at the videos. They are soldered to the boards. I think there are five. Looking at them and I can't even tell if they are bad.

Too big for the garbage can....there are a lot of useful parts on it like the screen, plastic bezel, stand and probably some parts. So, what to do. I doubt Habitat for Humanity wants it. Not sure the garbage people will even take it. Might put it at the end of the drive with a "Free TV, no picture". Or, "Don't steal this TV". And see how fast it becomes some else's problem. If there were trade schools anymore perhaps they would want it. The thing ran almost 16 hours a day. My wife just leaves it on. I guess we got our money out of it. I rarely watch it. Might make a good target for patterning one of the shotguns. 1917
Old 08-05-2019, 10:00 AM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oh yeah, the new TV plugged right in...power cord and HDMI...hit the on button and all the foolishness was back on. So, it is the old TV with some type of problem. It was running 100% until the second it went black. 1917
Old 08-05-2019, 10:11 AM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Put it out in the front yard near the curb. Put a large $125.00 price tag on it. Go away for a nice weekend somewhere, when you return it will be long gone. Problem over, go to Walmart and get another.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:14 AM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
Had the same problem with a Samsung. Took it to my local TV guy and he replaced a part that cost less than $5. Been working great for five years since. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:15 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
We find 'em in the ditch around here because few will pay the 'disposal fee' at the local 'recycle center'. Then we, the local taxpayers here, pay to have our road crews pick the junk up; bet that costs more than the disposal fee. It would probably be cheaper for our community to have no fee and no tv's in the ditch......
A friend has 4 tv's stacked in his attic, a veritable tech failure in time display.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:03 PM
Hovannes
US Army Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Electronics recyclers around here pick up that sort of stuff at school drop offs and give the school cash donations for it.
No cost to you.
The stuff gets put in a shipping container and sent to Bangladesh where precious metals and components are recovered.