Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:55 AM
jarradNZ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
FN trombone

Hi all and sorry if this is in the wrong area I couldn't find a welcome section....

Just got my hands on a FN trombone today (the first rifle I ever fired as a young fella) been wanting one for ever!

Picked it up for 300 bucks, needs really bluing but it's bloody tidy, good rifling and tight in the takedown.

Looks to be all original bar threaded scope mount holes???? And matching numbers.

Can anyone tell me anything about it?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2019, 02:27 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Correct-none were factory d+t'd.
I'd say that yours is from just before the era when they grooved the receiver.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:57 PM
Lawrence

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Personally I rarely like to refinish Trombones. I've done it a few times when the rifle has been badly rusted or such. I find that that they are NEVER as good as when original and detail in the proof marks and lettering is lost in the polishing process.Gunsmiths rarely seem to care about such details but they are important to me.

For your rifle, if it was mine, I would clean up the muzzle, pump rails and bolt face (as you can see it when the action is closed) as they should be 'in the white' and not tarnished. If you do the clean up yourself be careful not to remove the bluing from the extractor. See if there is any curd in the lettering especially on the barrel address.

Once this is done take another look to see if you still want to refinish it.

You've picked up a very nice rifle for a very, very good price, well done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2019, 09:08 PM
jarradNZ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Personally I rarely like to refinish Trombones. I've done it a few times when the rifle has been badly rusted or such. I find that that they are NEVER as good as when original and detail in the proof marks and lettering is lost in the polishing process.Gunsmiths rarely seem to care about such details but they are important to me.

For your rifle, if it was mine, I would clean up the muzzle, pump rails and bolt face (as you can see it when the action is closed) as they should be 'in the white' and not tarnished. If you do the clean up yourself be careful not to remove the bluing from the extractor. See if there is any curd in the lettering especially on the barrel address.

Once this is done take another look to see if you still want to refinish it.

You've picked up a very nice rifle for a very, very good price, well done.
Thanks mate, i have seen them go for a little less but that was a few years ago and this is the only one i cave come across since, that anyone would sell me at least.

Its going to be a shooter not a collector, and don't hate me for saying this but i am toying with the idea of re crowning and shortening the barrel to just after the magazine tube....

I just don't know if i can do it to such a beautiful little rifle

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk