Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:07 PM
raubvogel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wobbling while cycling bolt and prine

Shooting bolt action 22 prone, with the sling per Appleseed. When I cycle the bolt the rifle wobbles unless I do it slowly. What can I do to make it more stable? Tighten the sling some more so rifle presses harder down against my hand?
Old 04-19-2019, 02:28 PM
NMC_EXP

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
First off shooting prone with a sling can be extremely stable.

1.0 Shooting prone with a sling the sling should be adjusted tight enough so that when in position if you take the right hand off the pistol grip the rifle butt will remain fixed in the shoulder. When the sling is adjusted properly you will feel it get tight as you shoulder the rifle.

1.1 With a tight sling it helps to roll slightly on your left side, then use the right hand on the rifle butt to position the rifle in the shoulder, then rotate back to the right and position the right elbow on the ground.

1.2 If using the right hand on the pistol grip while laying flat you can position the rifle in the shoulder, chances are the sling is too loose.

1.3 Be aware that with many rifles sling tension can change your point of impact. The tension must be consistent shot to shot.

2.0 The left elbow should be almost under the rifle. The inside of the left elbow should touch an imaginary line from the left side of the rifle to the ground. If the left elbow is too far out your entire position will be unstable.

3.0 If your personal build and rifle allow it your left had should be out against the sling swivel. This keeps your forward hand in the same position shot to shot.

4.0 Natural Point of Aim (NPA) is critical. Get in position, aim, close the eyes for a few seconds, open the eyes and check point of aim. If not still pointed at the target adjust your position and repeat the test. To adjust left/right POA keep the left elbow fixed and use it as a pivot point to swing the body around.

4.1 Do not "muscle the rifle" to point it at the target. Adjust your position so the rifle is correctly pointed without using any muscle tension.

5.0 In rapid fire strings you must breathe. Natural tendency is to hold the breath and this causes vision problems. Just take a normal breath after each shot while working the bolt.

6.0 Thoroughly clean the rifle bolt and the receiver. Lubricate the bolt locking lugs and cocking cam with a thin layer of grease. Lightly oil the inside of the receiver. If the bolt and receiver are dirty and/or dry it requires more force to operate the bolt.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:57 PM
Mike Clark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
Shooting bolt action 22 prone, with the sling per Appleseed. When I cycle the bolt the rifle wobbles unless I do it slowly. What can I do to make it more stable? Tighten the sling some more so rifle presses harder down against my hand?
Tell me how you work the bolt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2019, 08:43 AM
navybowhunter
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
NORMAL

It will NEVER not wobble. Work on tightening sling for a solid posiiton. Once that is where it needs to be.....you are fine. It will not stop moving on bolt cycling.

I do not shoot a rimfire bolt action.

But....

I do shoot 30-06 1903A3 and 1917 Eddystone rifles. LONG actions and big cartridge, in competition for rapid fire.

The BEST high power rifle bolt shooters, look as if they are trying to rip the bolt off the rifle when they are ejecting a case. I mean it is a VIOLENT action, and it is advised to operate it that way.

CMP matches give an eternity for rapid fire prone...like 70 seconds or more.

Appleseed does not....55 and 60 for the rapids.

Work that bolt FAST....and trust the position/Natural point of aim to get you back into the V ring.

Hold Hard and Favor Center! Keep em in the V or X ring!

R/
Chris
Old 04-25-2019, 12:07 PM
NMC_EXP

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by navybowhunter View Post

It will NEVER not wobble.

R/
Chris
Truth there. But even with a centerfire bolt action if the action has been smoothed up or it is naturally smooth like the Krag they can be operated in an amazing fashion.

Scandanavians have a competition called Stanskyting. It is sustained fire - as many shots as you can get of in 20 (?) seconds. These folks are amazing. They maintain a grip on the bolt handle and pull the trigger with the middle or ring finger.

They commonly use the Sauer STR 200 and the Krag in caliber 6.5x55.

https://youtu.be/HeUGUwZcOsw

https://youtu.be/PhMW_bodQVo
Old 04-25-2019, 01:29 PM
navybowhunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMC_EXP View Post
Truth there. But even with a centerfire bolt action if the action has been smoothed up or it is naturally smooth like the Krag they can be operated in an amazing fashion.

Scandanavians have a competition called Stanskyting. It is sustained fire - as many shots as you can get of in 20 (?) seconds. These folks are amazing. They maintain a grip on the bolt handle and pull the trigger with the middle or ring finger.

I have seen them videos, pretty awesome stuff!

Agree....it can be done smoothly and deliberatly.

Gary Anderson is another to look at. My man is a lefty, shooting righty rifles, and is probably one of the best bolt operators the USA ever had!

R/
Chris
Old 04-25-2019, 01:44 PM
navybowhunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Little bit of history on Gary Anderson, one of our nations best competitors!

I have met him during CMP Games/Regional matches......he usually is handing out the medals.

Cut/Paste from Wikapedia on him:
From a very young age, hunting and shooting fascinated Anderson. Without benefit of a coach or proper equipment (including ammunition), he taught himself how to shoot by dry-firing his rifle for hours at a time. Dreams of becoming an Olympic gold medalist in shooting led Anderson to the United States Army. In 1959, after convincing skeptical army coaches that his implausibly high shooting scores were accurate, he was assigned to the elite United States Army Marksmanship Unit at Fort Benning, Georgia. His first international competition was the Pan American Games in 1959only two years later, in 1961, he would win his first national championship.

At the 1962 World Shooting Championships in Cairo, Egypt, he stunned the shooting world, then completely dominated by Russian shooters, by winning four individual titles and setting three new world records. At the 1964 Olympics in Tokyo, Japan, Anderson confirmed his performance in Cairo was not a fluke, setting a new world record and winning the 300 meter free-rifle gold medal. At the 1966 World Shooting Championships in Wiesbaden, Germany, he won three additional titles. Anderson continued to demonstrate his dedication to shooting by besting his own world record and winning a second gold medal in the 300 meter free-rifle event at the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City.[1]

Anderson retired from active international competition after the 1969 World Championships in Barcelona, Spain, where his 50-meter, three-position score of 1182 was the highest score ever fired in international competition. In ten years, his two Olympic gold medals, seven World Championship gold medals, six world records, and 12 national titles were and continue to be the most major international shooting titles ever won by an American. Following retirement from active competition, he continued to devote his time and energy to shooting sports by coaching young shooters, teaching shooting clinics, speaking at numerous shooting sports functions, and authoring hundreds of magazine articles and three books about shooting. Even during his "retirement" from shooting competition, Anderson competed in the National Rifle Association National Highpower Championships at Camp Perry, Ohio, winning the President's National Trophy in 1973, 1975 and 1976.

Wika link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_A...(sport_shooter)
Old 04-25-2019, 06:04 PM
NMC_EXP

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I never met Mr Anderson, but I do have at least one of his books. I was not aware he shot highpower.

When I started there were still a lot of folks shooting bolt guns "across the course". These were mostly Win Model 70 and Rem 40X & Model 700.

I watched the High Masters shoot rapids and was amazed - they made operating the rifle look easy and they shot tiny groups.

I shot my M1903A3 in a few matches. That rifle is like new and the action is still rough. I definitely did not look like the good guys when I was shooting rapid fire. It was flat ugly.

I've since read Crossman's 'Book of the Springfield'. It contains instructions on how to smooth the action of the '03. Valve grinding compound was used in specific areas along with hours sitting there and cycling the action.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:20 PM
navybowhunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I never met Mr Anderson, but I do have at least one of his books. I was not aware he shot highpower.

When I started there were still a lot of folks shooting bolt guns "across the course". These were mostly Win Model 70 and Rem 40X & Model 700.

I watched the High Masters shoot rapids and was amazed - they made operating the rifle look easy and they shot tiny groups.

I shot my M1903A3 in a few matches. That rifle is like new and the action is still rough. I definitely did not look like the good guys when I was shooting rapid fire. It was flat ugly.

I've since read Crossman's 'Book of the Springfield'. It contains instructions on how to smooth the action of the '03. Valve grinding compound was used in specific areas along with hours sitting there and cycling the action.
How smooth did you get your A3?

Mine is not as smooth as I would like it to be, nor is my A4....

I'd be very interested to hear how you lapped it.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2019, 11:14 PM
eric123
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:

Thanks for the links. The Krag shooting was one of the most impressive pieces of shooting i have ever seen..
Old 05-27-2019, 11:46 PM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just for heavens' sake be thankful you are not left-handed shooting a right-handed riflle in competition with a sling. You CAN get used to it, and good at it, but it is still painful.