Compromise Stock - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:26 AM
spider
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Compromise Stock

What style of fixed, or non-adjustable, stock would be a good compromise for 4 position shooting?

I have a 1416 Classic Anschutz that is good for me with a scope for 2 positions but only OK for the other 2. I have a Magpul X22 stock on my 10/22 which seems decent for all 4, but I am wondering what the best would be if using a scope and not using an adjustable stock.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:53 PM
Pat McCoy
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
good compromise
No such animal. A non-adjustable stock will force you into a compromised position it AT LEAST one position, possibly all four positions.

If I had to choose one fixed stock, I'd get one that fits me best in the offhand position, as that is the most difficult one. You MAY be able to adapt your,other positions to the stock while losing only a minimal number of points (or maybe not), but in standing the wrong stock (especially length) will play havoc with your balance.

Balance is the key to every position, and the further you get your center of gravity from the floor, the harder it is to maintain balance.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:15 AM
spider
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Thank you Pat, that is helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2019, 03:22 PM
navybowhunter
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Magpul X22 stock on my CMP Rimfire Sporter 3 position 10/22.

It is set up length wise for prone. I make more $ in score that way.

For Standing, it is a bit long.....and I am using a scope. I accept it. I accept the shaded sight picture for standing, but I pay attention to make sure the shading is even.

I personally prefer the stock (if I am unable to adjust between positions), set up for prone.

My daughter has a BlackHawk Axiom on her scoped 10/22. It is not the prettiest thing, but is fairly cheap priced. I replaced the flimsy buttstock (akin to a MAGPUL CTR or STR for the AR15), with a MAGPUL CTR and added a cheekpiece (clip on).

That stock/setup is actually better than the more expensive X22. It is easy to adjust length, and somewhat free floats (by design) the barrel (as free floated a 10/22 can be).

BUT...in Rimfire Sporter (CMP), length of pull is not allowed to be adjusted throughout the match.

BUT...aside from CMP matches, it serves the purpose. Can shorten it up nice for standing and seated (if needed) and extend it nicely for prone.

R/
Chris
Old 04-18-2019, 03:36 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Necessity is the mother of invention. I wonder if a scope mount could be built that could be dialed for eye relief? Like a track that could move forward or back and not change the zero. Track mounted to the rifle with a sliding pic rail and a lock. No huge recoil in 22lr. Unfortunately I am not a machinist.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:35 PM
navybowhunter
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Necessity is the mother of invention. I wonder if a scope mount could be built that could be dialed for eye relief? Like a track that could move forward or back and not change the zero. Track mounted to the rifle with a sliding pic rail and a lock. No huge recoil in 22lr. Unfortunately I am not a machinist.
That would be pretty slick

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2019, 08:37 PM
bberg7794

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I can move my scope (in BKL rings) forward and aft on my Anschutz 1907 and it stays sighted in using these rails.

http://www.champchoice.com/store/Mai...ns&item=001061

https://www.mec-shot.de/en/products/...ibrake-extent/

I have to have my scope further forward for prone and sitting relays, then I loosen the rings, slide the scope back and tighten the rings again to compensate for the difference in eye relief in kneeling and standing.

Last edited by bberg7794; 04-19-2019 at 08:41 PM.