Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:34 AM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Steel Challenge and "accurate ammo"

Soapbox.

One of the things that gets me is Steel Challenge shooters that say they prefer "X" brand of ammo because of its accuracy. Give me a break here. You're shooting like an 8-12MOA red dot on a lightweight pistol or rifle at a 10-12" circle from like 15yds. Thats not even relevant. Seriously, the difference in what we call accurate ammunition and crap ammo comes down to pretty much no more than a half inch (and probably more like 1/4 or less). If you missed the plate by a half inch, well, then you just missed man. Don't blame the ammo, blame yourself. And there are those fined tuned souls that might say that the 1/8" difference in how one groups compared to the other could mean the difference in hitting the edge of the plate and missing altogether. Ok, were you aiming at the edge of the plate when you squeezed that one off? Nope, you just missed dude.

I shot rimfires for accuracy long before I ever found out about steel challenge, but seriously some of the things that these guys say gets on my nerves. Steel Challenge = Reliable ammo. Everything else = accurate ammo.

End of rant.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:18 PM
Purple Bikerr

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
I agree 100%. Miss a plate @ 15 yds, it's on the shooter.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:02 PM
Empe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Yep ...reliable ammo is the key... as stated above how much accuracy do you need shooting at targets the size of a dinner plate at 25 yds . or less ? I use CCI Stnd Velo or Mini Mags . I can't say that I've ever heard anyone talking accuracy at any of the events I've participated in though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2019, 06:06 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CCI 40gr Copper-Plated RN MINI-MAGS.

No waxy build up, so great in low temps.
Just enough pop to cycle any firearm, but not so much to damage those delicate foo-foo pistols.

I just picked up a case for $239.00 after rebate.

Way more than accurate enough.

Smooth
Old 03-11-2019, 08:42 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have been looking at the steel challenge. I see people shooting 10-22's that are tricked out beyond belief and I wonder is it necessary for the same reasons you mentioned about the ammo.
Do they have an Olde Pharts league?
Old 03-11-2019, 09:00 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Looks like a half decently experienced shooter of any age ought to be able to show up with any off the rack 10/22 or Marlin 60 with any clean shooting reliable to the gun ammo and do well. But then, Ive found every shooting game Ive tried has its learning curve.
And every one of those games turned into an 'equipment race', tricked out is .
Still pretty sure the equipment I mentioned would work, though.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:22 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I have been looking at the steel challenge. I see people shooting 10-22's that are tricked out beyond belief and I wonder is it necessary for the same reasons you mentioned about the ammo.
Do they have an Olde Pharts league?
About half the crowd where I shoot are olde pharts. And some of them are pretty quick too. As far as tricked out, a good trigger and a fairly lightweight rig. Then after that, its just thowing money at it because you are into at the time. But no doubt I've seen some with a stock barrelled 10-22 and the equivalent of a $40 Sun Optics red dot shoot some pretty good times.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:25 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Looks like a half decently experienced shooter of any age ought to be able to show up with any off the rack 10/22 or Marlin 60 with any clean shooting reliable to the gun ammo and do well. But then, Ive found every shooting game Ive tried has its learning curve.
And every one of those games turned into an 'equipment race', tricked out is .
Still pretty sure the equipment I mentioned would work, though.
It would work. Probably want trigger work of course, but if the gun ran reliably, it would work fine. First time I shot, the only gun I had to bring was my 22" walmart special 10-22 with a re-chambered barrel, an old Simmons tube red dot, home job trigger, and a pair of old Butler creek 25rd mags. I think I had two hiccups in 6 stages, sharing the gun with my cousin.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:37 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The most important item in a Steel Match is a reliable firearm.
It must go bang every time you pull the trigger. Duh.....

As far as it being an equipment race goes, (see above) it comes down to the details.
A grip that that fits you (this to me is a really big deal).
A clear site set for irons, or a great optic.
For those who draw, a fast holster.

However none of the above entails a great cost, so it's not an equipment race in my opinion.

All your need is:
A gun that goes bang.
Grips that fit you.
Sights that you can see and quickly get on target.
And a ferocious desire to smack Steel.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 03-11-2019 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:36 PM
MajorD
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a variety of pistols I shoot in steel challenge depending on my mood. All are old school guns and some are even pretty rough looking. I hold my own against the guys with fancy guns ( who universally tend to have more malfunctions I noticed).
Sometimes I use a smith and Wesson model. 34 revolver with 2 barrel, and never have trouble managing to hit all 5 targets in a string with the 6 rounds on tap and most often only use 5
Old 03-12-2019, 01:26 AM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One of the best things about Steel Challenge is that you can shoot your stock gun against other stock guns or go full tilt with a reworked gun. Optics is the biggest difference but you do need a decent trigger and ammo that works 100% of the time.

Accuracy is important even at the speed these people are shooting. You don't need minute of angle, just minute of plate and when your sight is on the target pull the trigger. It's that simple. Five for Five wins. Missing just takes too long to make up.

I've been shooting Steel Challenge for 30 years. Master Class with my Revolver and my rimfire pistol.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:37 AM
Jory45acp

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Some of the speed you see at steel matches comes from experience. Knowing what order to shoot plates in helps, learning to break the trigger once the dot touches the edge of the plate not the middle helps and able all just experience. A good gun will only take you so far, you still need those thousands of rounds downrange to develop your speed.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2019, 09:44 AM
MKnarr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I agree. I used to shoot the Ruger matches and as already stated, reliability. Once I was shooting my wife's Ruger MIII competition model using Wolf MT in 90 degree weather. Not good. That gun is as reliable as any weapon I have fired but not that day. The soft lube on the MT gummed up the works and I had several jams. When not hot or in the shade the pistol will fire the MT reliably but not in the sun on a hot day.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:47 PM
redrocket
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Bikerr View Post
I agree 100%. Miss a plate @ 15 yds, it's on the shooter.
They are not hard to hit! They are easy to miss!