Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-09-2019, 05:43 PM
WaterDR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Time to upgrade....Scorpion?

I have been using a MK 3 22/45 Lite. Great little shooter. It has some mods from Tandemkross and also a VC Trigger. I use a Venom red dot. Off hand, 2 to 3” groups are reasonable for me at 25 yards.

Thinking of upgrading to a Scorpion. How much better is a Scorpion than my current setup?
Old 03-09-2019, 11:30 PM
Quick1
US Air Force Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
A LOT BETTER...like night and day. I have both and like both, but the Scorpion is a much higher quality build.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:27 AM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Its something you have to put into perspective, at least to me. And I've got a bucket of cash thrown into a MKIV with a VQ LLV-4 and every VQ part you can throw at one. The gun runs like a dream. So my opinion will carry no bias here.

The Scorpion is a top notch and well machined piece. Quality control well over Ruger no doubt, and the price they go for demands as such. But in reality, to me its a "Want" gun over a "Need" gun. Its accurate as can be as well, though one has to ask his self how well can they actually shoot a handgun anyway? Good enough to distinguish the difference it accuracy between this and a stock Ruger? With a rifle off of a bag rest, yes. Offhand with a rimfire pistol, for me no.

If you have a gun that is having some issues and you are tired of it, replacing it with a Scorpion will pretty much cleanse you of that issue. They are extremely reliable on top of everything else. Balance well, great trigger, accurate as can be. If you have a Ruger with all of the add ons (VQ stuff no doubt included), that you shoot well and that runs well, then the Scorpion will be nice, but will be far from night and day. Its like a guy that makes 25 of 25 free throws, and the next guy makes 24. And you call that difference night and day.

Not trying to crap on the Scorpion, it is what it is. But to me its not necessary to spend $1200 to have a great gun. A Ruger with all the VQ internals will go a long way as long as the one you have feeds and runs. But if you want a Scorpion, I'm also in the camp of go and get one. Because in the end, what matters is being happy with what you have. I think my biggest problem is that I don't like the idea of people thinking they absolutely need something that they really don't. If they just want it, no problem, but I'd hate for someone to think it was absolutely necessary because someone else told them as much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2019, 08:07 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I have to agree with Flash. I have a Ruger Mk II Competition Target and a Government Target and they are just really accurate. Same with a Mk IV Standard.

Here's the Mk IV Standard at 15 yards off a rest:

Here's a 50 yard target with the Ruger Govt. Target. Yup: 50 yards:

Here's a 15 yard target with the VQ LLV (essentially a Scorpion upper with a Ruger bolt on a Ruger 22/45 lower with a VQ trigger and sear):

So I guess what I am saying is that in my experience, the shooter (and the aiming system (e.g. red dot)) is going to make much more of a difference than the model of pistol in terms of on-target accuracy. Or put another way, my best LLV target is juuust a skosh better than my best Ruger OEM target. But by a very small amount, given the difference in price. So you are paying $1,100 vs. $400 for that last l 1/8 of an inch or so.

On the other hand, this is a hobby, designed to bring you pleasure. So if it is going to give you pleasure to shoot a Scorpion, then by all means get it. The LLV upper does not disappoint, but the base Ruger machinery is (or can be) pretty remarkable.

Last edited by flangster; 03-10-2019 at 08:09 AM.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:40 AM
WaterDR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the comments guys!

Why can’t I see your images and why can’t I post any?
Old 03-10-2019, 09:01 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
How 'bout now?
Old 03-10-2019, 09:03 AM
WaterDR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok...now I can see your pics. Thanks!

Just need to figure out how to post an image of a target.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:03 AM
WaterDR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don’t see a link or a anything for pics?
Old 03-10-2019, 09:22 AM
WaterDR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Let me see if this works...

https://imgur.com/user/WaterDR
Old 03-10-2019, 09:27 AM
WaterDR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Maybe this will work. Sorry to waste everyone’s time:

https://forums.1911forum.com/#/topics/986480?page=1
Old 03-10-2019, 09:39 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
Ok...now I can see your pics. Thanks!

Just need to figure out how to post an image of a target.
To post a pic: go to your image on IMGUR or wherever it's posted.
right-click on the image and choose "copy image location"
Come back to your RFC post and click on the icon above that looks like a picture (tiny mountains on a yellow background). Paste your URL/link to your picture in the dialogue box and, there you go!
Old 03-10-2019, 09:46 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Like this:

Old 03-10-2019, 10:06 PM
mparker
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The Scorpion does not have quite the balance and ergonomics of the best competition target pistols, i.e., Hammerli, FWB, Pardini, etc., but it can hang with them for accuracy and reliability.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:05 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Tons of people use them in steel challenge. And seriously to me, as good as they are, I don't compare them to those target pistols. Maybe thats just in my head. They are basically a Ruger MKIII built better, to higher tolerances. They might very well outshoot a S&W 41, but I couldn't classify them together. I don't know.

These expensive guns do kind of make you think after a while though. Like, when you read an article on some $3000 Ed Brown custom 1911. And in the article, they show how it shot from 25yds with like 7 different types of ammunition. And then you remember an article a couple months back on a Springfield or Kimber or something that basically shot about the same. So whats the deal then?

And back to the OP's current equipment. Myself, I would shoot your gun faster in a Steel Challenge type situation than I would a Scorpion. Because its lighter and I'd swing it quicker. I'd shoot the Scorpion better in a slower target situation because its a bit heavier and more stable. Basically how I shoot my MKIII 22/45 compared to my MKIV with the VQ upper. I use the 22/45 Pac-Lite in steel challenge, and I use the VQ barreled MKIV in knockdown competitions.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:20 PM
WaterDR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That’s kind of the advice I was looking for! Thanks.