Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:48 PM
HaveBlue83
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

yes its followthrough of the hammer, not a failure to reset the trigger, unfourtunately.

i THINK once it gets a spec hammer and sear it will actually be ok. im actually still hopefull. its really comfy and accurate
Old 01-13-2019, 10:15 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
Don't think of it as "This sucks", think of it as a learning experience and a practical test of what you've just learned.

Nolan
If I buy a new gun and it has this kind of a problem after 700+ rounds, I'm probably going to think of it as "This sucks". I don't mind tinkering and troubleshooting, but I also don't go out with the intention of buying factory new pistols with the intent of learning how to fix a brand new gun.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:53 AM
Nolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_80 View Post
If I buy a new gun and it has this kind of a problem after 700+ rounds, I'm probably going to think of it as "This sucks". I don't mind tinkering and troubleshooting, but I also don't go out with the intention of buying factory new pistols with the intent of learning how to fix a brand new gun.
That's generally not my goal either, but I also have a lot of factory guns that never fired a shot outside the factory before I took them apart and heavily modified them for one type of competition or another. I think I only have 2 or 3 guns that are completely stock. So, yeah my expectations of a $300 gun are quite a bit different from most other people.

Most of my rifles and more than a couple of my 1911/2011 pistols were bought as bare receivers and a $$$$ laundry list of parts. The ones that came as complete guns were several thousands of $$ each or from prize tables.

My first Buckmark was off a prize table at some falling plate match (NRA Action Pistol???) in '90 or '91. I think I shot a couple boxes of ammo through it and stuck it in the safe for 5 or 6 years before I even looked at it again. Then a couple of local clubs started some rimfire only matches/weeknight leagues and I started shooting it again and in '99 had a muzzlebrake milled into the barrel, bolted a tube scope to it and started shooting bullseye and steel matches. I have 6 of them now, only one of them was bought as a complete gun, one was a bare frame from a rental shooting range and the others are from prize tables and none of them are in the same configurations as original.

Don't get me started about 10/22's or AR's. I think they breed after the safe has been closed, because I swear every time I open one it has more of them than I remember putting in there...

Nolan

Last edited by Nolan; 01-14-2019 at 02:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2019, 03:04 PM
HaveBlue83

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_80 View Post

i totally agree 100%.i didnt spend $300 to not have a working pistol. at this point ive accepted the sunk cost of approx the price of a new Ruger in order to get this working properly (ammo cost, pistol cost, costs to ship it back 3 times till the actually fix it), ill be over $400 for a $318 pistol lol.

thats the new america, buy stuff that doesnt work right and now its the customers dime to fix it. yay.

this is why ALL of my AR's are build by myself. They run all day cause its my job to make them work. if they dont go bang, im responsible.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:33 PM
rdas
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
Show me please a worn out firearm action from lack of lubricant?
They simply do not generate the heat enough to cause any damage!
Here's one... http://guns.dsttr.com/img/HammerLink...217_001827.jpg
That hammer link is worn out to the point of causing issues, from simple metal-on-metal wear. That spot is impossible to lubricate without disassembly, but I have no doubts that lubrication would have significantly increased the life of that part.

I don't have photos handy, but I've seen the same thing with the tops of Buckmark disconnectors getting worn down from metal-on-metal wear, to the point of causing problems. And others have reported similar wear issues with many different parts in many different guns (extractor claws, hammer hooks, barrel links, bearing pins, guide rods, disconnectors, sears...) Read any gun forum and you will find endless examples of wear-related issues.

I'm not suggesting that Buckmark parts are crap; we're talking about normal wear after many 1000's of rounds. What I am suggesting is that the claim that firearms actions don't need lubrication because they don't have sufficient wear to cause issues is completely and utterly false.

Dave

(sorry, I just couldn't let that statement go unchallenged)
Old 01-14-2019, 03:56 PM
poochie
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveBlue83 View Post
i totally agree 100%.i didnt spend $300 to not have a working pistol. at this point ive accepted the sunk cost of approx the price of a new Ruger in order to get this working properly (ammo cost, pistol cost, costs to ship it back 3 times till the actually fix it), ill be over $400 for a $318 pistol lol.

thats the new america, buy stuff that doesnt work right and now its the customers dime to fix it. yay.

this is why ALL of my AR's are build by myself. They run all day cause its my job to make them work. if they dont go bang, im responsible.
Just a stupid question from me. If you disassemble it and reassemble it are you making sure the slide is seated properly on the frame before tightening the rear screw that holds the slide down and then tightening the barrel screw last? I have a pistol like yours and was having trouble with it like you and these steps work for me.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:46 PM
HaveBlue83

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i usually do the slide end one last. slide isnt binging tho, i checked and its got up n down play.

its a hammer and sear issue afaik
Old 01-14-2019, 11:42 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
That's generally not my goal either, but I also have a lot of factory guns that never fired a shot outside the factory before I took them apart and heavily modified them for one type of competition or another. I think I only have 2 or 3 guns that are completely stock. So, yeah my expectations of a $300 gun are quite a bit different from most other people.

Most of my rifles and more than a couple of my 1911/2011 pistols were bought as bare receivers and a $$$$ laundry list of parts. The ones that came as complete guns were several thousands of $$ each or from prize tables.

My first Buckmark was off a prize table at some falling plate match (NRA Action Pistol???) in '90 or '91. I think I shot a couple boxes of ammo through it and stuck it in the safe for 5 or 6 years before I even looked at it again. Then a couple of local clubs started some rimfire only matches/weeknight leagues and I started shooting it again and in '99 had a muzzlebrake milled into the barrel, bolted a tube scope to it and started shooting bullseye and steel matches. I have 6 of them now, only one of them was bought as a complete gun, one was a bare frame from a rental shooting range and the others are from prize tables and none of them are in the same configurations as original.

Don't get me started about 10/22's or AR's. I think they breed after the safe has been closed, because I swear every time I open one it has more of them than I remember putting in there...

Nolan
Yes and you are also one of the minority in that. The majority of people in the world are average consumers, and aren't looking to learn a lesson on repairing/modifying guns. The only lesson many are going to take from that experience is "why did I buy this piece of $%^@!". I'm closer to your camp in reality than the latter though.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:47 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poochie View Post
Just a stupid question from me. If you disassemble it and reassemble it are you making sure the slide is seated properly on the frame before tightening the rear screw that holds the slide down and then tightening the barrel screw last? I have a pistol like yours and was having trouble with it like you and these steps work for me.
That part fits smooth. Even if you didn't, as you snugged down the screw, it should push the slide down flush. Even with it finished, you should have some play there. If you're able to tighten that down to an extreme, you're going to have binding friction between that top plate and the bolt in the rear. I haven't used the plastic factory piece in a while, just rails, but seems like it is possible to tighten the rear down so much that it induces some drag. But if you tighten it down, its going to push the bolt down as well.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:06 PM
octalman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
HaveBlue83, send it back and give Browning a chance to fix or replace. You are probably the victim of a tolerance stack issue common with mass produced items. You have fired enough rounds for reasonable break in.

Buckmark slides should fit pretty loose. Feed ramp does not need to be smooth. I assume magazine disconnector rod is in place? Assuming Browning fixes the problem, that connector rod can be removed. You should not have to drown the pistol in lubrication to make it work, but it DOES need sparingly applied lubrication. No lubrication will increase wear. Wear will eventually lead to failure. You may never fire enough rounds to experience wear induced failure, but it is still a simple fact of Materials Science.

Good Luck.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:48 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree with others who have advised you to send it back to Browning to let them make it right for you. My only concern is that I don't think you should have to pay shipping to return a new pistol that doesn't work properly right out of the box. I think I would have to call them back and argue that point, but at the end of the day, it needs to go back to Browning to be fixed.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:40 PM
coltlog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveBlue83 View Post

My goodness, look at all of the attention you've gotten over the last few days complaining about your still-under-warranty Buckmark.

In contrast, how much attention would you have gotten if you had simply returned the gun to Browning and had them fix it promptly and properly on their dime?
Old 01-16-2019, 11:43 PM
DynamyteD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No company has 100% QA. There will always be a certain amount of defective products that are sold. I know it is disappointing when you recieve one. But the appropriate way to deal with it is to RMA it and wait for them to fix it before you bad mouth them.

Last edited by DynamyteD; 01-16-2019 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:19 AM
HaveBlue83

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
UPDATE: pistol was sent back to browning. calling them did not get me an RMA return tag, but emailing them a slightly nasty-gram did, after i asked for one, and then had to email again the next week when the y dropped the ball on emailing it to me the first time. chalk it up to Murpys law.

browning sends u a card with info to go online and track the progress. ita an easy system, and the pistol was tested, inspected and "minor repairs" is listed under tasks. its currently awaiting inspection after repair. they got it on the 29 of Jan, and it says est return is 18 feb. when it gets back here i will have more info and results.

thx for reopening the thread, flys.

Last edited by HaveBlue83; 02-12-2019 at 01:21 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 02-19-2019, 11:09 PM
HaveBlue83

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I received thw pistol back today. the Browning online tracking system is very nice. gun is clean and lubed and the slide feels a bit easier to pull back on a fired case.

Ill take it out tomorrow, depending on the weather. lets hope for many 10-bang strings in a row.