22 ammo for long range - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-19-2018, 03:11 PM
ibbuckshot
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
22 ammo for long range

Greeting folks,
I checked the search file but found nothing on ammo being used out to the 300 to 400 yard ranges....What are you folks using to reach out there to 200 and beyond ?
Have fun,
buckshot
Old 12-19-2018, 03:17 PM
jaia
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
All of them.
The better the quality, the better the results.
You have to decide, price vs results.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:59 PM
Coyotehunter444

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have been considering switching to a bulk subsonic for my practice, but I haven't found anything that's actually as cheap as Blazer, Fed bulk, Win 555's, etc in the sub-sonic flavor and actually shots decent. Remington SSSS (super-sucky-sub-sonic) was not impressive in any way and I haven't got my hands on anything else yet. Win Dynapoint looks interesting (1150 fps iirc), but for $30 a brick, (as opposed to $20/brick for Win 555 or Fed bulk) can't say that I really need whatever edge they may provide for my practice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2018, 05:18 PM
STRUGL4X'SC

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I shoot the best of the best at 200yrds Lapuewa Midas. We shoot a 40 rnd match at steel targets about half the size of a playing card any rimfire is legal,.17,.22 mag,.22lr. Usually takes about 20hits to win.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old 12-19-2018, 05:49 PM
flylo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
97% (149)
I've had great luck with Aguila SV about $16/brick, Geco Rifle about the same & Tac 22 about $30 a brick. I just came in & for the 1st time all year I shot HV at 300, CCI mini mags 40gr & Federal 512 36gr HP. it was 40 degrees & last time I shot I was having fte on the lubed bullets but today everything worked fine. The HV was stored warm & the SV storded cold. Hopefully this weekend I'll have the enclosed porch ready to shoot from with heat Wonderful Heat & a reloading bench, SWEET!

I had target Sports open & am on their Prime program so 8% off & free shipping on everthing Aguilla $16.55, Geco Rifle $18.86, The onlt Norma was Tac Subsonic. I shoot at 2" & 3" steel swingers & golf balls at 300 yds & shoot alot so these work well for me. You can spend more & maybe get a little better but I'd raher shoot more like every good day in the 3 good seasons Michigan has & on really good days morning & evening & I have a solar light going down to the 300 yard range. Don't have a clue where you're at but if close come on by & try it out.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:50 AM
flylo

TPC Rating: 
97% (149)
I do 300 yards & a SV bullet has a rise of 12' so 400 yards is going to be about 25' & may be hard to be consistant IMHO. Watch 22 Plinkster on You Tube as he has videos cutting cards & long range with bulk ammo. He has a couple more channels & is amazing with a rimfire. Here's a you tube of 300 & 400 yards with a 10/22 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZuIvKeUAgM It's amazing to me that at 300 yards a 22lr SV retains about 1/2 it's enegy at the muzzle & will pass thru a 1/2" pine board which was the army's test for being a killing round. So even with a low BC it 's an amazing tound for a little guy. I just orders T/Cs B22 (a 10/22 improved clone) for long range as once you get in the groove with a bolt action you have to stop & rack the bolt. I'll see if I can make it shoot.

Last edited by flylo; 12-20-2018 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:18 PM
lathoto

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lapua.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:25 PM
crooked

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree that sv qaulity ammo is the most consistent at longer ranges. But I have also had decent results with aguila super extra hv and mini mags.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:25 PM
crooked

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree that sv qaulity ammo is the most consistent at longer ranges. But I have also had decent results with aguila super extra hv and mini mags.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:32 PM
Sir Ville

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
22 ammo for long range

Quote:
Originally Posted by crooked View Post

I actually disagree for CCI STD being consistent , far from it, ”Very consistent”. It is not.
A bulk ammo, at” lower middle class”at its best. A go-to ammo for many though. Take a box of those. Chrono them. The ES is unacceptable.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Sir Ville; 12-20-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:39 PM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
For minute of paper plate at 200 yards CCI SV will make some holes.

Paper plate is about 9 inches in diameter.

That covers the first 90 fps of ES.

Last edited by jaia; 12-20-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:01 PM
flylo

TPC Rating: 
97% (149)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crooked View Post
I haven't tried the HV but should as now it's cold my POI with HV is low & with mini mags high. It bothers me to shoot HV as I'm so used to no sonic crack but I can get used to it. Shooting 3 or 4 boxes of SV in the evening is just so relaxing & last evening I was on a run for a while swing ing those 3" plate & it 2 golf balls but wasn't aiming much at those so it suprised me.

IMHO the key to shooting long range rimfire is just shoot & shoot & shoot as much as you can while practicinng the correct basics, breathing, trigger pull, holding the rifle the same, follow thru & tuning the rifle with torque settings, beding, recrowning if needed. Bottom line is making the rifle, the ammo you have & you perform to their highest degree.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:24 PM
Topstrap44

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All the ammo tests I've seen done makes for good reading and shows that usually if you spend more chances are good it'll shoot better. Some guns even do better with junky bulk ammo which just makes you shake your head in amazement.

I've always been fascinated with trying to push the limits on how far away I can hit something with a gun from my young days with a BB gun shooting birds eating out of the feed bins. Then it was an old Remington single shot sending rounds at a muskrat swimming across the farm pond about 300 yards away while waiting to leave to get on the school bus. Never hit it but scared him a lot. I didn't know you can't shoot a 22 that far. This was in the early 60's.

Then it was shooting with friends seeing who could hit the farthest rock or bottle. Then later came IHMSA with the 22s which gave legitimacy to long-range rimfire shooting with pistols which is my favorite part of long-range shooting. Now we're' stretching it to 500 yards and even beyond with a good hit rate percentage.

Better optics and more ammo choices used with equipment that helps with elevation settings is pushing the limits that were looked at with eye rolls and smirks a few years ago. Even if you do everything perfect there is a limit to how tight a group you can shoot at any given distance.

We all have a grouping or string of hits that far exceed our wildest expectations. Mother Nature is in control at any longrange shooting session but we've gotten better at figuring her out. I still chuckle when I read threads that say we are lobbing the rounds in but the same can be said for long-range CF shooting, the scale is very similar.

I don't know how to explain or descibe it and it'd be hard to predict but there is a luck factor in all these shooting sports. We get group averages at whatever distance we are shooting, sometimes the couple that are out of that average we call a flier. It could just as easily wandered tighter into a group and gives you the wallet group we show everyone that is not what we usually get.

At my matches spotting for lots of shooters you see the best shooters having rounds just missing the edge of a target more than normal and other times seeing a middle of the pack competitor dropping then into center mass way above their normal match day.

I've come to just shoot a match, accept the occasional dropped round as a miss and the day I get all good hits as being lucky and the expected flier getting a hit as being lucky although we all might think it was just a good shot. I've been lucky to have gotten a string of hits at 500 yards and even beyond that would make a CF shooter envious and other times I couldn't touch the target.

Those World Records, yup there was some luck those days. Lots of work to be able to be consistent enough to be one of the better competitors then have them all come together and give that once in a lifetime experience. Enjoy your time shooting all you can, keep at it and get to where you are consistent and on that special day the moons will align and Mother Nature will smile on you and you'll be the envy of everyone at the range.

Topstrap

Last edited by Topstrap44; 12-22-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:01 PM
bgshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
330 yards CCI SV

I shot this plate this morning. It was 29 degrees and I was facing a 3 mph breeze slightly quartering from left to right.
I fired 30 shots...sighters included. Nothing great but I had fun and the CCI's were fairly consistent. Shooting expensive ammo makes me uncomfortable.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:26 AM
flylo

TPC Rating: 
97% (149)
I shoot alot & use Aguila SV ammo, here's what I posted in the 22 ammo section. What you want is ammo the varies the least feet per second which means it's more consistant. It's called Extreme Spread & Standard Deviation, the smaller a lot of ammo has the more consistant it will be. Many scoff at Aguila as it's made in an ex Remington plant in Mexico but they make more 22 choices than anyone & most all match 22 is not made in the U.S. Look at the reviews & the price, if your gun likes it, it's hard to beat.

http://rimfirechannel.blogspot.com/2...-velocity.html

Target Sports has Aguila SV for $17.99/Brick -8% with prime= $16.55 shipped free for any amount with prime & for cases without out prime. Brownells has Aguila SV for $18.99 $45 off for $350 & 4% back from Active Junky but they are charging sales tax now.

Target Sports reviews
22 Long Rifle Ammo 40 Grain Standard Velocity Solid Point
Aguila SuperExtra 22 Long Rifle Ammo 40 Grain Standard Velocity Solid Point
Rating(s) starstarstarstarstar (249) 249 Customer Review(s)
5 Star
187 (75%)
4 Star
40 (16%)
3 Star
10 (4%)
2 Star
3 (1%)
1 Star
6 (2%)